OT: Health and Fitness Thread ‎III

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Went to the doctor yesterday- based on blood work & x rays he's certain I have degenerative arthritis in both hips. At least I know what the hell is going on, that's been the scariest part. He referred me to an orthopedist for further treatment.
Wow, that sounds scary.

But knowing the cause is at least a step in the right direction.

I know nothing about the medical side, but as we've seen with Brad Marchand, modern medicine has come a long way with this.

Wishing you the best!

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm still jumping rope three days a week, and lifting on the others. It's probably an addiction at this stage, but so be it.

Last weekend I finished jumping, and dragged my mat in the garage. I then went inside to change clothes and went back out to gather my ropes, and an unexpected and unwelcome visitor had parked himself on my mat.
20230603_191134.jpg

I kid you not, I jumped out of my skin and let out a scream.

It's my folks' garage and they occasionally get rats. So the consensus is that is what the snake was after, and he was essentially harmless.

Still gave me quite a scare!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I finally got to see an orthopedist Friday. He confirmed that I have degenerative arthritis in both hips. He showed me the xray- my right hip socket has no cartilage at all and the left hip socket has maybe 10%.

So it is a hip replacement for me. He won't do the surgery until I've dropped another 20 pounds. He has recommended intermittent fasting.

Have any of you any experience with it? :dunno:

Reactions: Aeroforce

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I finally got to see an orthopedist Friday. He confirmed that I have degenerative arthritis in both hips. He showed me the xray- my right hip socket has no cartilage at all and the left hip socket has maybe 10%.

So it is a hip replacement for me. He won't do the surgery until I've dropped another 20 pounds. He has recommended intermittent fasting.

Wow, sorry to hear about your hip, @BMC . I can't imagine either the pain or the difficulty getting around. Healing vibes and prayers coming your way from down here in Texas. They may just be a little hot when they get there. ;)

I wish I could offer advice on intermittent fasting, but I've never tried it. I've had friends who have had success with it, and if your doctor recommends it, that's a solid endorsement.

Like everything else in our world, this is hotly debated, with lots of 'facts' from both sides. But my experience is that it is calories in vs. calories out. Your situation is more difficult since any sort of walking, jumping, or running is likely very difficult, if not impossible.

There is 'arms only' cardio that could help. With whatever fasting/diet works for you, that could get you on course.

I remember when Eddie Van Halen, an idol from my youth, had hip replacement at only 44.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

I pretty much do one meal a day (OMAD). Week days one meal in the evenings. On the weekends maybe two meals but both within a 6 hour window. Ease yourself into it. Get rid of the bad foods (processed foods, sugars/excessive carbs) increase protein and healthy fats (coconut/avocado/olive oils, real butter) keep carbs to greens/ veggies (avoid pasta / breads). It's more along the lines of a keto diet.
For more information on intermittent fasting and keto look up Dr Eric Breg DC on YouTube he has many easy to understand videos on the subject. ... I went from 270 down to 205 with OMAD, but I also did a pretty intense workout program. If done right it will take between 8 - 12 weeks for your body to adjust and start dropping weight as your body switches from burning sugar to burning fat for energy. Good luck.
Edit: I've Ben doing this since 2016 ... I've cut my workouts back and maintain a comfortable weight between 220 and 230 ... of course I'm 6'2" and in my 60s so it all subjective to the individual.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

Sorry to hear that but as others have noted, it is good to know what is going on and now you can focus your mind and body on treatment and recovery.

Modern hip replacement is a godsend and will give you so much back in a very very short time post op. I have friends that did it and were our skiing 3 months later nevermind walking and getting around pain free.

For the fasting thing - can't say much about it as a protocol as haven't done it but two observations that may or may not be helpful.

1. Ask the doc if the fasting is to get as quickly as possible to Op ready weight or if it is something that he/she recommends post op and in terms of long term diet. It may make sense as a path of least resistance to get to the Op ready weight but I don't think it's an easy long term diet to maintain as it puts major constraints on so many social behaviours (get togethers, dinners, days out, etc...) not to mention other physiological considerations.

2. Calories in / calories out + balance in what is constituting those calories is key. The brain has an annoying way of telling the body that hurting itself is good with bad calories and bad balance. There is legit sugar, fats, and other processed foods withdrawal symptoms to deal with but in the space of 3 days or so most are likely to pass. You don't have to shock the system and go cold turkey with things like sugar or going from burgers and pasta to salad and eggs. You can weed out the worst balanced calories but keep some of the others in as part of that transition. It will make it easier and help the brain to accommodate the change. Takes the edge off it and should help IMO.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Sorry to hear that but as others have noted, it is good to know what is going on and now you can focus your mind and body on treatment and recovery.

Modern hip replacement is a godsend and will give you so much back in a very very short time post op. I have friends that did it and were our skiing 3 months later nevermind walking and getting around pain free.

For the fasting thing - can't say much about it as a protocol as haven't done it but two observations that may or may not be helpful.

1. Ask the doc if the fasting is to get as quickly as possible to Op ready weight or if it is something that he/she recommends post op and in terms of long term diet. It may make sense as a path of least resistance to get to the Op ready weight but I don't think it's an easy long term diet to maintain as it puts major constraints on so many social behaviours (get togethers, dinners, days out, etc...) not to mention other physiological considerations.

2. Calories in / calories out + balance in what is constituting those calories is key. The brain has an annoying way of telling the body that hurting itself is good with bad calories and bad balance. There is legit sugar, fats, and other processed foods withdrawal symptoms to deal with but in the space of 3 days or so most are likely to pass. You don't have to shock the system and go cold turkey with things like sugar or going from burgers and pasta to salad and eggs. You can weed out the worst balanced calories but keep some of the others in as part of that transition. It will make it easier and help the brain to accommodate the change. Takes the edge off it and should help IMO.

Thank you @bb74!

The doctor won't do the surgery until I'm down 20 more pounds for safety reasons, the risk of a stroke, heart attack etc during surgery is greater the heavier you are. He recommended intermittent fasting as the quickest way to get the weight off. I'm determined to keep it off if I can get it off. The past 4 years I've lost 35 pounds and kept it off.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Thank you @bb74!

The doctor won't do the surgery until I'm down 20 more pounds for safety reasons, the risk of a stroke, heart attack etc during surgery is greater the heavier you are. He recommended intermittent fasting as the quickest way to get the weight off. I'm determined to keep it off if I can get it off. The past 4 years I've lost 35 pounds and kept it off.

OK. Sounds like we need a good old school bucket challenge there on HF boards to see who can get those 20 off first (safely) with everyone pulling for BMC to win the gold.

Who's in?

• Love

FU Shoresy

Jan 25, 2023

Buddy of mine recently had 1 done. Went pretty well for him. The replacements have a lifespan. Talk to your Dr about that. And time it so you can get the second one done when your still at an age for a good recovery.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Week one of intermittent fasting: the first two days I wanted to eat the carpet I was so hungry. Gradually my body is adjusting to less food. I'm doing the 16/8 fast for 5 days then on the weekends I have 3 meals. In my 8 hour food window I have breakfast & lunch so I'll have energy for work, then no dinner just water & juice to keep my stomach feeling full. So far so good!!!

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Screenshot_20230925_184152_Instagram.jpg

Sigh.....

Me again. I have never related more to this sign. lol

But here's the result of healthy me shopping

20230925_180907.jpg

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Well, after multiple attempts this summer, I think I'm finally getting myself back on track. Lost over 4 lbs this week. Also successfully avoided eating one of the fantastic donuts at church this morning. Came home and did some meal prep for the week. I hate doing meal prep and I'm not the best at it, but it does help keep me on track.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Well, after multiple attempts this summer, I think I'm finally getting myself back on track. Lost over 4 lbs this week. Also successfully avoided eating one of the fantastic donuts at church this morning. Came home and did some meal prep for the week. I hate doing meal prep and I'm not the best at it, but it does help keep me on track.
Got my half marathon in yesterday and planned to pig out at the fair, but the lines were so miserably long I didn’t even bother.

Crushed some tacos and bottomless chips and salsa though.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Intermittent fasting works: I dropped 14.5 pounds in little over a month.

My surgery is scheduled for November 7
What schedule do you use for intermittent fasting? I'm debating trying that.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
What schedule do you use for intermittent fasting? I'm debating trying that.
I do 16/8: I fast for 16 hours (nothing but water & juice) then I have an 8 hour window to eat. The first few days are tough but after that your body will adjust. I do this for 5 days then I have 2 days to eat 3 meals a day. However I have found that I don't miss that third meal at all so most of the time I don't bother with it, unless I go out with family/friends.

When I do eat it is as little sugar & carbs as possible. For example my lunch today is going to be 2 apples, 2 hard boiled eggs (for protein), & a protein shake washed down with water.

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Bump.

Been doing my best to keep plugging away at the gym, despite battling various nagging illnesses for what feels like the past month.

Gotta clean up the diet a little bit, especially at night.

Although I did say “f*** it” and stopped at DQ for a frosted sugar cookie blizzard after we left urgent care with Jacob last night.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
My attempt to get back on track in October did not last long.

HOWEVER....I started back on WW on January 29 and have lost over 9 pounds as of this morning. I feel like my mindset is finally back to where it was when I lost significant weight in 2022.

Would I like to keep losing 4-5 pounds a week every week? Sure :laugh: but that's not realistic and I know that.

Still need to get more walking/steps in, but I will gradually increase that over the next few weeks as I start feeling better.

Look out Zee, I'm right behind you!! :biglaugh: :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad