Confirmed with Link: Head Coach Vacancy Pt IV — Rangers get permission to speak to Ruff

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Staal, Brassard, Moore, Stralman, Callahan, Nash and Dorsett are all above-average speed-wise. Stepan/Zuccarello have improved dramatically.

The team is full of water-bug type players up front. I think Ruff could take advantage of that. Also, that's 4/6 of the D core that can skate well. Tortorella never utilized that.

The fact that Torts never used that is huge. McD can skate really well. Him and Staal, Stralman and maybe (dare I say DZ :P) couldve ben used more. We have a very good blueline.

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
I was lucky enough to watch Ted Nolan play hockey in adirondack. My favorite redwing of all time.The guy was 100% effort all heart type player. I don't know why he isn't coaching but he would be my choice and this team would play hard for him IMO.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I was lucky enough to watch Ted Nolan play hockey in adirondack. My favorite redwing of all time.The guy was 100% effort all heart type player. I don't know why he isn't coaching but he would be my choice and this team would play hard for him IMO.

No way Sather brings in Nolan after what happened between Nolan and Muckler in Buffalo.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Par for the course.

Didn't even interview Eakins either before he got Edmonton job. Why show some initiative? It's only one of the most important offseasons in recent memory.

I had read that Eakins preferred to coach a young and upcoming team instead of a veteran win now type of team like the Rangers. Even if he was offered the Rangers job, I don't think he would have accepted it anyway.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
How do you know that they didn't have a preliminary phone conversation with Eakins??

I go by what's reported. With Twitter and everything else, we would have heard if they had some kind of interview formal or informal. Ruff is having phone interview today according to the Buffalo News article Rangerboy posted.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
I had read that Eakins preferred to coach a young and upcoming team instead of a veteran win now type of team like the Rangers. Even if he was offered the Rangers job, I don't think he would have accepted it anyway.

Quite possibly. Would just like to hear that from the horse's mouth if I'm Rangers/potential employer.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
New coach needs to use the good skating ability of McD, Moore, Stralman, Hags, Kreider in particular. Maybe McD more than anyone else. torts really only used Hags and his speed.

D need to carry the puck out. McD can definitely do it. He has a tremendously powerful stride, quick acceleration. he needs to work on puck control, but that's fixable.

Give McD some more responsibility of starting the rush, gaining the zone, things like that. Put him on the power play instead of DZ if he's not traded. I really believe that McD has 50 point upside.

Punxrocknyc19*

Nope, not trolling. He always got the most out of his personnel. he was successful, for awhile (carolina!). His teams skated well. played hard and played an entertaining style. He carries himself quite well.

id rather have the other former Hurricanes coach, the one that has a cup.. i bet Flyers management fires him if they have another season like this past one.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
The team is full of water-bug type players up front. I think Ruff could take advantage of that. Also, that's 4/6 of the D core that can skate well. Tortorella never utilized that.

Which is why they have no sustainable forecheck. Team lacks size and strength all over the roster. Ovechkin said it best, no real physicality that worries anyone.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm sure Brad would LOVE to go to the Stars if he gets bought out... I guess these two can't get enough of eachother?? Too much in common at the right time to be a coincidence
I get the sense that Richards doesn't really care for Torts anymore.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I get the sense that Richards doesn't really care for Torts anymore.

For some reason, I don't... Why didn't he go to other places before his huge ass contract was given out? I'm going to assume it was because Torts was the coach in NY... Unless his mindset has changed that dramatically in the past 2 seasons... Regardless, Torts seems like a prime candidate for the Stars

I was hoping for Guy Boucher for HC for NYR, but I guess that is not realistically happening...

In order of liklehood:
1) AV
2) Ruff
3) Tippet
4) Boucher

In order of my preference:
1) Boucher
2) Tippet
3) AV
4) Ruff

Don't really want Ruff at all... at all at all... Boucher seems strongest in my opinion, but the lack of reporting regarding him doesn't fare well with the search... Unless the organization is intentionally misleading the media to hide what they're really doing...

Then again, that isn't that outrageous at all for the Rangers, is it?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
For some reason, I don't... Why didn't he go to other places before his huge ass contract was given out? I'm going to assume it was because Torts was the coach in NY... Unless his mindset has changed that dramatically in the past 2 seasons... Regardless, Torts seems like a prime candidate for the Stars
Tortorella was absolutely a big reason Richards signed in NY. I get the sense the relationship has soured, however.

There were some quotes from Richards after the season that were suggestive to me. Something like "people change" ...?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Jim Nill was on NHL Live. He was asked about his coaching hire. Nill really likes Torts. Nill wants a veteran guy. He said the NHL is not a place for a coach to learn on the job. Nill needs to tell Messier that. No timetable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad