GDT: Hawks vs Boredom: 7:30PM Central on NBCSCHI--Corey "Colander" Crawford Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Yeah Hayden was taking some shots for a while there before he landed that bomb. Broke his face. I hope he gets into it with reaves someday. When you are up 8-1 or whatever it was the timing isn't right.

No. Hayden is a player, not a goon. That fight should be a warning to other NHLers that he is here to stay and they'd better keep their head up when he's on the ice.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
No. Hayden is a player, not a goon. That fight should be a warning to other NHLers that he is here to stay and they'd better keep their head up when he's on the ice.

I mean, maybe a warning to keep their hands up if they get into a fight with him... not much to garner from a fight as far as play on the ice. He's actually not super physical shift-to-shift.

Nothing from that fight or his history suggests he's going to go Scott Stevens if you cut up the middle of the ice.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I mean, maybe a warning to keep their hands up if they get into a fight with him... not much to garner from a fight as far as play on the ice. He's actually not super physical shift-to-shift.

Nothing from that fight or his history suggests he's going to go Scott Stevens if you cut up the middle of the ice.

Actually, Hayden finishes his checks, physically. He throws some punishing but clean hits and is the reason Foligno went after him.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Actually, Hayden finishes his checks, physically. He throws some punishing but clean hits and is the reason Foligno went after him, actually.

Nah.

To my eye, he finishes his checks roughly as much as the average NHL player.

Statistically, his hits per shift is skewed by ice time and role, obviously. He's currently atop the league as far as hits/60 with noted bangers Nemistnikov and TJ Oshie close behind, among others. Though that will obviously even out over time as those guys spend more TOI with the puck over the course of 82.

Nobody is keeping their head on a swivel when he's on the ice for fear of being crushed, and that's not going to change just because he landed a good punch in a fight, a context which has zero overlap with actual hockey play.

I like Hayden. He's developing well. But punching a guy out is only going to put concern or trepidation into guys who opt to drop the gloves with him. It's not going to make anybody tentative to go into a corner to get the puck when he's nearby, because nobody is worried about getting a haymaker to the face in that context. What WOULD make players concerned to go into the corner with him is consistently and repeatedly going into the corners and coming out with the puck... which I absolutely hope he shows he can do, because that would make him a very useful player to have on any line.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yeah Hayden was taking some shots for a while there before he landed that bomb. Broke his face. I hope he gets into it with reaves someday. When you are up 8-1 or whatever it was the timing isn't right.
for me, i am glad he can show everyone that he is capable of defending him and possibly stop any BS on the ice, by the other teams. however he can be more valuable on the ice and continue to make a name for himself.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I didn't mean to imply hayden was a goon. I imagine it would be reaves picking the fight with him as it was in the last case. I just want to see reaves get some comeuppance for his goonish behavior.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Nah.

Statistically, his hits per shift is skewed by ice time and role, obviously. He's currently atop the league as far as hits/60 with noted bangers Nemistnikov and TJ Oshie close behind, among others. Though that will obviously even out over time as those guys spend more TOI with the puck over the course of 82.

Nobody is keeping their head on a swivel when he's on the ice for fear of being crushed, and that's not going to change just because he landed a good punch in a fight, a context which has zero overlap with actual hockey play.

I like Hayden. He's developing well. But punching a guy out is only going to put concern or trepidation into guys who opt to drop the gloves with him. It's not going to make anybody tentative to go into a corner to get the puck when he's nearby, because nobody is worried about getting a haymaker to the face in that context. What WOULD make players concerned to go into the corner with him is consistently and repeatedly going into the corners and coming out with the puck... which I absolutely hope he shows he can do, because that would make him a very useful player to have on any line.

If you don't think Hayden plays a physical game I legitimately have no idea what the hell you're watching.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
If you don't think Hayden plays a physical game I legitimately have no idea what the hell you're watching.

He's admitted he hasn't been watching out of superstition because he didn't watch the first two, although I'm not sure if that's changed the last couple games because I haven't been following closely with Cubs games going simultaneously.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Nah.

Are you just arguing to argue at this point? Stats and eye-test show Hayden is a physical player. For some reason, you are imply that being physical is a negative. Stop trying to be a contrarian just to be one.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
He's admitted he hasn't been watching out of superstition because he didn't watch the first two, although I'm not sure if that's changed the last couple games because I haven't been following closely with Cubs games going simultaneously.

That was just the first period of each game for the first 3 games. ;)

He's the most physical player on this team, yes.

People are talking like the guy is Scott Stevens and players are keeping tabs when he's on the ice or something. :laugh:

And certainly no player is any more inclined to 'keep their head up' than usual when Hayden is around during the run of play, simply because he punched a guy in the face in a fight.

I'm not discounting his physicality, I'm just saying it doesn't leap off the screen at me compared to lots of bigger guys that finish their checks, and more over, it's not the part of Hayden's game that makes him valuable or impressive to me (or to the team, I would hope).

Literally no one would be happy with that.

Ok fine, maybe not 20 John Scotts.

20 Tom Wilsons, then.

Last edited:

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
That was just the first period of each game for the first 3 games. ;)

He's the most physical player on this team, yes.

People are talking like the guy is Scott Stevens and players are keeping tabs when he's on the ice or something. :laugh:

And certainly no player is any more inclined to 'keep their head up' than usual when Hayden is around during the run of play, simply because he punched a guy in the face in a fight.

I'm not discounting his physicality, I'm just saying it doesn't leap off the screen at me compared to lots of bigger guys that finish their checks, and more over, it's not the part of Hayden's game that makes him valuable or impressive to me (or to the team, I would hope).

Ok fine, maybe not 20 John Scotts.

20 Tom Wilsons, then.

You compared him to Osihe physically. That's beyond laughable. Scott Stevens wouldn't be allowed to be Scott Stevens in today's game. It doesn't mean you should dismiss Hayden's physical game out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad