Rumor: Hawks trading for Yakupov (upd: nope)

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Looks great for Blues so far

Goal + assist tonight and has looked dangerous every shift tonight in offensive end

Zawaski said on yesterday's podcast, the Hawks offered a better package and the hang up was NOT salary retention. He also said definitively, the deal falling apart was on Chiarelli, NOT Bowman.

Chiarelli could've had a better haul, but blew it. I'm interested to see how you spin this one to fit your #NeverStanley narrative?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Plus, Im still certain Q would hate him and scratch him for Tootoo or Mashinter.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Zawaski said on yesterday's podcast, the Hawks offered a better package and the hang up was NOT salary retention. He also said definitively, the deal falling apart was on Chiarelli, NOT Bowman.

Chiarelli could've had a better haul, but blew it. I'm interested to see how you spin this one to fit your #NeverStanley narrative?

Interesting stuff. I would like to hear more on this.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Interesting stuff. I would like to hear more on this.

He mentioned twice in the Wednesday podcast. Once near the beginning, and again in the email segment.

He said he couldn't go into detail on it though. But I'm guessing he's getting this info from the same guy who told him about Saad's contract demands.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He mentioned twice in the Wednesday podcast. Once near the beginning, and again in the email segment.

He said he couldn't go into detail on it though. But I'm guessing he's getting this info from the same guy who told him about Saad's contract demands.

Jay Z. has some really solid sources.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
There's not much more to hear. Jay said that his source said the Hawks package was better and that it wasn't Stan's fault but wouldn't really elaborate beyond that.

Jay Z. has some really solid sources.

Perhaps he does but it sounds more like homer talk to me.

A good GM, if he wants a player bad enough, will get the deal done. It's too easy to blame it on the other guy.

BTW ... these podcast guys also dissed Chiarelli for not signing Versteeg. Doh! Perhaps they need to stick to talking about baseball which they couldn't resist when Hawks was supposedly the topic at hand.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Perhaps he does but it sounds more like homer talk to me.

A good GM, if he wants a player bad enough, will get the deal done. It's too easy to blame it on the other guy.

BTW ... these podcast guys also dissed Chiarelli for not signing Versteeg. Doh! Perhaps they need to stick to talking about baseball which they couldn't resist when Hawks was supposedly the topic at hand.

If you make a deal that is better value but the team takes the other deal there is little you can do.

Which podcast guys? Jay Z and his podcast partner?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Feels like we dodged a bullet. Not that I'm that familiar with Yakupov, but with 5 points in 16 games at $2.5mn ... he doesn't sound like the answer. And people seem to think he doesn't listen to his coaches ... which is a disaster when playing for Q.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Feels like we dodged a bullet. Not that I'm that familiar with Yakupov, but with 5 points in 16 games at $2.5mn ... he doesn't sound like the answer. And people seem to think he doesn't listen to his coaches ... which is a disaster when playing for Q.

We only dodged a bullet to the extent that Bowman would have given anything of value to acquire Yak.

Zero chance that Q would play him regularly.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
At some point, you just have to look at the player, who has had how different head coaches in the NHL now?

Oh no doubt Oilers crippled his development, but I was never a fan of his hockey sense. If you have 0 hockey sense and a lack of a defensive game (hmm.. sounds like Evander Kane right now too, another top 5 pick) you are going to struggle in the NHL. You can't have both and expect to be a solid player.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Hitchcock has nothing to do with it.

Eh.. Hitch isn't a guy who brings the best out of his players (Probably a reason why I think some here take a guy like Q for granted). This is the same guy who Tarasenko pretty much called out in the playoffs for foolishly playing him under 18 minutes a night.. and rightfully so.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Hitchcock has nothing to do with it. Yak doesn't listen to coaches, period. He just wants to "play his game." Which he'll soon be doing in the KHL.

Yup, that has been the rumour about him. I don't blame coaches who don't want to use him if that is true, despite the talent.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Eh.. Hitch isn't a guy who brings the best out of his players (Probably a reason why I think some here take a guy like Q for granted). This is the same guy who Tarasenko pretty much called out in the playoffs for foolishly playing him under 18 minutes a night.. and rightfully so.

How do you bring out the best in a guy that doesn't know where to be on the ice? This is basic positioning / responsibility we're talking about here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad