Hawks of yesteryear: The place to talk/argue Hawks playing elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
But while we're here. I'd love to go back and have kept Jimmy Hayes. They probably would have his brother too. Oh well.

If Q was even willing to give the Hayes bros a shot it would have been in the bottom 6 if they were lucky.

It's really difficult to judge all this stuff in hindsight.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
The biggest loss for me is still Leddy. He, Keith, and Kane are/were our best puck movers at entering the zone through tight checking schemes. Seeing as we have such a **** transition those three (now down to one) were incredibly crucial at getting set up in the offensive zone.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
The biggest loss for me is still Leddy. He, Keith, and Kane are/were our best puck movers at entering the zone through tight checking schemes. Seeing as we have such a **** transition those three (now down to one) were incredibly crucial at getting set up in the offensive zone.

And he could get back on D to break up those shorthanded chances more than we ever realized.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I wouldn't of been comfortable paying him 5.5 million a year tho, if he stayed I could see a Johansen type of situation developing.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I wouldn't of been comfortable paying him 5.5 million a year tho, if he stayed I could see a Johansen type of situation developing.

I don't think he would've gotten that much, around 5 or less as he'd still be a "third pairing" guy but would certainly be promoted next year. He got that big contract after a fairly good streak of being a #1Dman for the Isles, great signing for them of which I haven't found a single fan of theirs who is upset with it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I hate that we lost him too, but I wouldn't call that selfish. He saw the little opportunity his brother and some other prospects got, and didn't want to languish down in Rockford forever. Can't blame him.

Honestly his brother really didn't deserve much more opportunity than he got with the Hawks. I don't blame Kevin for leaving because if he felt he would be able to stay in the NHL the whole time with another team then financially it was the right choice. Pirri played 0 d and that would not have worked here. He has been scoring in FL but his d still sucks.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Watching rags-caps. I know it's beating a dead horse, but Kayes is fantastic.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yep.

This whole situation is a fantastic case of 'you make your bed, you lay in it'.

Bowman tried to sign him. I am not sure what else you want him to ****ing do. Sign him early when he looked bad or had the possibility of having his leg amputated? No thanks. So this is not a case of making your bed and laying in it at all.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Bowman tried to sign him. I am not sure what else you want him to ****ing do. Sign him early when he looked bad or had the possibility of having his leg amputated? No thanks. So this is not a case of making your bed and laying in it at all.

Bowman tried to sign him after he had seen more than enough of how the Blackhawks treat their rookies at the NHL level.

There's a reason he was happy to join in on the #FreeMorin push on twitter. These players do not live in silos, they talk to one another about how they feel they are being treated and the opportunities they're being given.

The Blackhawks organization lost Hayes by virtue of how they treated his peers.

Also, the whole 'he went somewhere with less competition' is nonsense.

Hayes is a center.

At the time he decided not to resign, the Blackhawks' center depth was Toews, Shaw, and Kruger. There was an open slot, one that none of the other C prospects could reliably fill, so Stan went dumpster diving for Brad Richards.

The Rangers had more NHL quality centers in their lineup and their system than the Blackhawks.

Hayes preferred a stiffer, but fairer challenge. He knew one team would be less likely to bench and scratch him for the kind of mistake that Shaw made at 2C and 3C roughly 10,000 times a game.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Bowman tried to sign him after he had seen more than enough of how the Blackhawks treat their rookies at the NHL level.

There's a reason he was happy to join in on the #FreeMorin push on twitter. These players do not live in silos, they talk to one another about how they feel they are being treated and the opportunities they're being given.

The Blackhawks organization lost Hayes by virtue of how they treated his peers.

Also, the whole 'he went somewhere with less competition' is nonsense.

Hayes is a center.

At the time he decided not to resign, the Blackhawks' center depth was Toews, Shaw, and Kruger. There was an open slot, one that none of the other C prospects could reliably fill, so Stan went dumpster diving for Brad Richards.

The Rangers had more NHL quality centers in their lineup and their system than the Blackhawks.

Hayes preferred a stiffer, but fairer challenge. He knew one team would be less likely to bench and scratch him for the kind of mistake that Shaw made at 2C and 3C roughly 10,000 times a game.

His brother was bitter that he did not get more playing time but he didn't deserve to get more playing time. This is what caused Hayes to leave. He joined the "freemorin" ******** after he decided to leave. I am willing to bet he never gave signing with the Hawks a serious thought and just strung them along....quality person let me tell you. Hayes also saw that we drafted TT and thought he would be a 3rd line center at best for us in the future. The Rangers most likely promised him that we would stay in the NHL no matter what so you competition comment is just a guess like the rest of ours.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I hate that we lost him too, but I wouldn't call that selfish. He saw the little opportunity his brother and some other prospects got, and didn't want to languish down in Rockford forever. Can't blame him.

Bowman made a very fair offer, but part of it was Hayes wanting more money than they offered.

I'm only pissed because Rangers fans are treating him like he's some God and is going to be the next Patty Kane.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Bowman made a very fair offer, but part of it was Hayes wanting more money than they offered.

I'm only pissed because Rangers fans are treating him like he's some God and is going to be the next Patty Kane.

How much more could he have been asking for? It was an ELC.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
He didnt sign him his junior year after such a bad injury and decent play (cant blame bowman) and tried to sign him after his great senior year (cant blame bowman) and Kevin hayes decided that it would be better for his career to go and play right away on another team (cant blame bowman or hayes)

It just didnt work out..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad