Rumor: Hawks Interested in Simon Hjalmarsson

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
According to a Swedish newspaper, the Hawks have expressed interest in Simon Hjalmarsson.

He is 25 years old, so he is not a prospect. He had 57 points in 55 games this season. Plays left wing and was a former second-round selection (39th overall) of the St. Louis Blues.

I had no idea where to put this topic.

ChiTownCode

Natural Perm
Aug 13, 2013
Chicago
According to a Swedish newspaper, the Hawks have expressed interest in Simon Hjalmarsson.

He is 25 years old, so he is not a prospect. He had 57 points in 55 games this season. Plays left wing and was a former second-round selection (39th overall) of the St. Louis Blues.

I had no idea where to put this topic.

They just like the name...:sarcasm:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I, for one, am fully on board with having the Hammer "Bros" on our team.

2372648-1124854_hammer_bros_super_2.gif

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
He is no "hammer" ...another smallest skill guy but as I recall has a sniper's knack to score on his good shot...actually fits Hawks skill game more than Blues banger game which is why he never made it with them..

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He is no "hammer" ...another smallest skill guy but as I recall has a sniper's knack to score on his good shot...actually fits Hawks skill game more than Blues banger game which is why he never made it with them..

Might not be a banger, per se. But apparently he is a fairly gritty player.

Hjalmarsson is a skilled winger who plays a very well-rounded game. He owns great overall offensive ability and instincts, and is also a hard worker. Although not terribly big, Hjalmarsson is very good along the boards and hard to knock off the puck. Plays with lots of intensity and grit.

SwedenCanada

Sep 22, 2011
Sweden
So this guy used to play together with Carl Söderberg in Sweden.
Carl: 61games 12goals 28assists 40points with Boston this season.

Prior to reaching the NHL these guys were pretty much alike (minus weight):
They were 25-27 when they got NHL teams after them.

So comparing stats: (Two seasons before reaching the NHL)
Simon: Linköping SHL 55ga 12g 31a 43p
Carl: Linköping SHL 42ga 14g 21a 35p

The same year as reaching the NHL:
Simon: Linköping SHL 55ga 27g 30a 57p
Carl: Linköping SHL 54ga 31g 29a 60p

During these two years they combined these amounts of games/points with team Sweden internationally:
Simon: 18ga 8p
Carl: 14ga 9p

SHL combined stats:
Simon: 271ga 77g 108a 185p 0.68p/ga
Carl: 189ga 58g 74a 132p 0.70p/ga

Edit: Simon got these stats when Sweden won the WC gold last year (Carl was busy playing with Boston at that time):
Sweden WC 10ga 2g 2a 4p

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
I'd say great news, but seriously where are we going to put all of these players.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
You can never have too many assets.

I think you can if you're looking at adding players that want to play in the NHL and not the AHL. We're already looking at a logjam basically everywhere but in net, IMO.

I'm all about adding new talent, especially when it doesn't cost any assets to get, but it would suck for the team to lose out on possible finds like this guy, or not being able to sign our college kids bc there's too much competition for too few spots.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I think you can if you're looking at adding players that want to play in the NHL and not the AHL. We're already looking at a logjam basically everywhere but in net, IMO.

I'm all about adding new talent, especially when it doesn't cost any assets to get, but it would suck for the team to lose out on possible finds like this guy, or not being able to sign our college kids bc there's too much competition for too few spots.

If you sit on them and don't use them it's a potential problem. If you use them to acquire other things to organizations that have needs/wants appropriate and it brings you something back appropriate, the more the merrier in my world. They're not all gonna hit.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Since Chicago is probably the most attractive place to play right now, it makes sense that we would pick up some of the college UFAs and euro FAs. They seem to hit semi-regularly.

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
So is the last name Hjalmarsson like a Smith or Johnson in Sweden?

His numbers have been gradually improving each year.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I think Johnsson and Smithsson are the Johnson and Smith of Sweden. Joking on the "Smithsson" one, obviously.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Ha, I meant a common last name, like Smith, Johnson, Williams are in English speaking countries.

There's a good amount of Hjalmarssons on hockeydb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad