Rumor: Hawks interested in Marleau?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well...do not know if we want a $6.666666 (you get the reference) cap hit...Would need to take Bickell and Shaw in trade plus they would want pick or,prospect or combo of that...Plus we probably want them to retain $700m to 1million in salary/csp. ..something like that ..The prospect in. Lieu of pick if a first rounder could be Danault or Hartman ...or the Hawks could make it a 2nd rounder in the draft which becomes a first if we get to the Cup Final...some conditional option like that given
But Marleau is 36 and you want Toews to play with 2 Geezers now? Next year he and Hossa another year further geezer ed. ..Probably that is 2 off the cliff by then.

Still the LW hole on line #1 is so glaring that we have the excuse why it has not produced...
If Marleau as Saviour does N9T product and the line still is failing
then incumbents Toews and Hossa will have a lot to explain for themselves,won't they?

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Marleau (25%) for Shaw + Bickell + Prospect (Sharks would probably want Pokka) + 1st

Hawks then cut ties with Rundblad and role with this

Marleau-Toews-Hossa
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Teravainen-Kero-Dano
Desi-Kruger-Garbutt
(Tikhonov)

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-TVR
Svedberg-Daley
(Rozy)

Crawford
Darling

Would be a bit hard on cap next year with Marleau at 4.875M (That is 25% retained cap) but would open up things cap wise just in time for Panarin/Teravainen/Dano re-ups in summer of 2017

Shaw, Pokka and a 1st for a declining player? Uggh, no thanks. We can just buyout Bickell next summer, or tolerate his cash one more year. Not worth giving up all that.

I did like how you slipped the 'cut ties with Rundblad' part in, even though it had nothing to do with that proposed deal :laugh:

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Shaw, Pokka and a 1st for a declining player? Uggh, no thanks. We can just buyout Bickell next summer, or tolerate his cash one more year. Not worth giving up all that.

I did like how you slipped the 'cut ties with Rundblad' part in, even though it had nothing to do with that proposed deal :laugh:

We gave up a 1st + solid D prospect for a far worse player in Vermette. Factor in the salary relief we need to make this work and it's gonna be pretty expensive.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Does he play even center anymore?

Isn't he basically an older, worse, and more expensive version of Sharp??

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

Yeap.... but if you could get rid of Bickell for him..

It's really not realistic in anyway for what the Hawks could offer.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL

Older, yes. Worse, debatable. Expensive could be worked around with salary retention.

That being said, there's no way the Hawks get this done without giving up a boatload of assets to make up for sending Bickell the other way and for getting the Sharks to retain salary.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
We already have a 36 year old on the top line that some people in here want to move down, now we are going to trade assets at this stage of the season for another 36 year old? No way. If it was at the deadline and the situation was right I could maybe see it but not now. Put Dano on that top line instead of rotating 4th liners in that spot. We head the first week of camp Dano was great with Toews and Hossa then he gets sent down. Give the kid a shot with the top line.

Unless they want to take garbage back for Marleau (Bickell & Runblad) forget it.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Nonissue... And regardless.. Chicago needs to rebuild..

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
only possible with him at a 4 Million Cap Hit while they take Bickell back and Shaw or Rundblad. Not going to happen

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
SJ fan here. Some of you don't seem interested in giving up a 1st. What about McNeil? There's the rumors he's not happy with still being in the AHL right?

McNeill hasn't been called up for a reason. He hasn't done enough to get the call and plenty of other prospects have passed him by.

Honestly, a 1st round pick is much more valuable than McNeill.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
SJ fan here. Some of you don't seem interested in giving up a 1st. What about McNeil? There's the rumors he's not happy with still being in the AHL right?

Trading McNeill wouldn't be a problem. It would depend on what else needs to be added and how much salary SJ retains and/or if they'd be willing to take Bickell

I'd be ok trading the 1st, but have no interest trading prospects like Dano or Teuvo. And to a lesser extent Pokka and Schmaltz.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Marleau is still a very good player and would be a great fit to play LW with Toews and Hossa. He's still a great skater and plays a good 200 foot game and he can still score.

It would necessarily have to be Bickell going the other way to make the cap work. If SJ retains 50% of Marleau's cap, the Hawks could trade them Daley and spice up the deal with a prospect and a 1st or something on that order. Both Marleau and Daley have another year after this one on their contracts so that works.

Marleau-Toews-Hossa
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Dano-Kero-Teravainen
Desjardin-Kruger-Shaw

Keith-Hjamarsson
TvR-Seabrook
Gustafsson-Rozsival

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
It would necessarily have to be Bickell going the other way to make the cap work. If SJ retains 50% of Marleau's cap, the Hawks could trade them Daley and spice up the deal with a prospect and a 1st or something on that order. Both Marleau and Daley have another year after this one on their contracts so that works.l

As much as I'd love a 1st and a prospect, SJ couldn't take on Bickell, Daley CAP and retain salary from Marleau. And unless Daley can play the right side, we're already deep at LHD with Vlasic, Martin, Dillon and Mueller.

McNeill won't have a future with the Hawks as it Looks so far.

Which makes me think he could be part of a trade on the cheap.

EricRealm

Oct 22, 2013
We trade Sharp and our top D prospect for Daley and Garbuj; now we want to trade picks and prospects to replace Sharp? :shakehead Unless we intend on trading Marleau next off season then we should have just let sharp's contract run out otherwise we would have traded everything we gave up for Sharp plus everything we'd give for Marleau just for one more year of a likely declining 1W

This season is all about how much we get from Teets and Dano.

Last edited:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
This is pure nonsense.

Have to agree, because for a deal to happen the Sharks would have to REALLY bend over and take it like we did in the Sharp trade. I can't see Wilson either retaining a significant portion of PM's salary, or taking Bickell back, either one of which would be required to get a deal done.

Even if "where there is smoke there is fire", and PM does want out of SJ, I just don't see Wilson getting cornholed on a deal to make that happen. And it seems like that's the only way a deal could get done.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
As much as I'd love a 1st and a prospect, SJ couldn't take on Bickell, Daley CAP and retain salary from Marleau. And unless Daley can play the right side, we're already deep at LHD with Vlasic, Martin, Dillon and Mueller.

Do you think that SJ would go for:

Bickell, Shaw, McNeil, 1st for Marleau

I wouldn't think that the Sharks would go for something like that, but I don't know. I'd expect that Wilson wouldn't want to make a deal with ANA/LA, and I doubt the Rangers would be interested the way they're rolling right now, unless it was a swap for the struggling Nash with whatever it takes to even it out. The Predators would be a legit option, and it would likely work out a lot better than the Hawks.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I don't think its horrible but it seems to be getting mixed results on our boards.

Like I said, I would expect either the Rangers or Preds to make a better offer. The Rangers based around Nash (change of scenery type trade) or the Preds based around similar value without the bad Bickell contract.

In any case, if PM is moved I expect the Sharks fams will likely be dissappointed by the return like the Hawks were dissappointed by the Sharp trade.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Also, let's not forget that we don't have a second round pick this year (so far), so if you asked me the idea of us giving up a first and thereby forgoing a pick until the third round makes this even less likely. Either that or we swap our first for their second, which waters down even more what we could give the Sharks compared to what other teams might be willing and able to offer.

No part of this makes sense. Probably just kicking the tires at most.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'd love to see Marleau flanking Toews and Hossa, but I just don't see how the money works unless SJ retains a % of salary, but why would they do that? They're better off just denying the trade request and keeping him until the trade deadline of his last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad