GDT: Hawks @ Coyotes 3/5/24 8pm Nbc sports Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
When you see the entire team making the same mistakes, it's fairly likely that the point isn't getting through, or it's just not being said.
you would have a point here if the talent level of this forward core weren't replacement level or below from forward 2 on down. turning the puck over to an nhl player is something you can expect an ahl player to do consistently.

i'm not trying to cherry pick this one thing either. the other things you are saying i think have more truth to them. i just think with this point in particular you are overstating your case.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
you would have a point here if the talent level of this forward core weren't replacement level or below from forward 2 on down. turning the puck over to an nhl player is something you can expect an ahl player to do consistently.

i'm not trying to cherry pick this one thing either. the other things you are saying i think have more truth to them. i just think with this point in particular you are overstating your case.

I'm not talking about guys legitimately having the puck taken from them by better players. That happens to everyone in the NHL. I'm talking about guys who, as you said, are AHL level players, trying to skate through the other team, when the smart play is a chip or a dump in. If that keeps happening repeatedly, it's pretty likely a lack of coaching instruction leading to it.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
I'm not talking about guys legitimately having the puck taken from them by better players. That happens to everyone in the NHL. I'm talking about guys who, as you said, are AHL level players, trying to skate through the other team, when the smart play is a chip or a dump in. If that keeps happening repeatedly, it's pretty likely a lack of coaching instruction leading to it.
all i'm saying is with the talent disparity we are dealing with, the line between "legitimately having the puck taken from them" and a bad player "trying to skate through the other team" is far from clear. you should all know by now i have no eyes to see, but you'd have to have a really good set of eyes to say for sure i think.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
This team is a chore to watch. At least the 03-04 team showed some heart. I think they would dominate this team. Some of those bad teams in the late 90s would just beat them up so bad in a series they win. But it seems like a chore if we can score 2 goals a game. Sometimes it seems we have less then 3 legit scoring chances. The tank is going great.

Tinordi literally has no business on an NHL roster. Phillips is 22 years old, and is currently better than Tinordi.
He has some toughness. We aren't winning shit, besides foligno only guys willing to step up for teammates and can fight.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This team is a chore to watch. At least the 03-04 team showed some heart. I think they would dominate this team. Some of those bad teams in the late 90s would just beat them up so bad in a series they win. But it seems like a chore if we can score 2 goals a game. Sometimes it seems we have less then 3 legit scoring chances. The tank is going great.

He has some toughness. We aren't winning shit, besides foligno only guys willing to step up for teammates and can fight.

Toughness is irrelevant to the fact that he wouldn't be a bottom pairing D on any other team in the NHL, and isn't even a decent bottom pairing option on this team, the worst team in the league.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It's March, and teams who have any chance of making the playoffs are playing intense, playoff hockey yet they lost the previous 2 games in OT and have been competitive much of the time. Why are Hawks fans suddenly surprised that this team is dominated for periods at a time by Colorado Avalanche?

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Why are Hawks fans suddenly surprised that this team is dominated for periods at a time by Colorado Avalanche?
people don’t like to watch their favorite team be historically bad. don’t chastise people for being surprised at the sunrise only to be surprised at the sunset. the overreaction is to be expected, even if i think it’s misguided (and often hilarious).

Reactions: BobbyJet

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
It's March, and teams who have any chance of making the playoffs are playing intense, playoff hockey yet they lost the previous 2 games in OT and have been competitive much of the time. Why are Hawks fans suddenly surprised that this team is dominated for periods at a time by Colorado Avalanche?
another bad game same game plan terrible coaching who cares anymore

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
people don’t like to watch their favorite team be historically bad. don’t chastise people for being surprised at the sunrise only to be surprised at the sunset. the overreaction is to be expected, even if i think it’s misguided (and often hilarious).

I think there are maybe two posters here who don't grasp this team being historically bad is pretty much best case scenario. The rest of us are just looking for anything to discuss, because, in seasons like this, there's not much to talk about. There's only so many times you can say "wow, this team really sucks".

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But Bedard tries to carry the puck in(when he gets out of own zone not tired out from chasing in own end) AND invariably most of the cary-ins get stopped...puck captured by the ipos and it transitions back to Hawkscend...so if Brdard cannot get through ipps layers of checkers how can you expect the talentless other forwards on the to carry pucks in and have any success for high danger shots on goal being created off the carry-inns?

If LR telling g them to dump and forecheck it is because they do not have tge talent for carfy-in success..However when they Fail to generate offense from poor forechecks..thatviscon the players..If you are not artists with tge puck you goita forecheck ...win the races and puck battles and get to the high danger slot.. If Hawks failing at that itvis I the pkayers not the coach to win the puck battles and get off the perimeter by outmuscling the opps checkers..That Hawks are not succeeding I winning g puck battles is on them...the pkayers..not the coach.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Sounds like Foligno is back with Bedard and Kurashev. No f***ing idea why it was ever changed, to begin with. Here's hoping they get going together again.
They were getting to overtime too many times

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
They can't play dump and chase because they are too slow to retrieve the puck. And even if they do get it, they aren't talented enough to hold on to the puck and get meaningful o zone time. Other teams are too talented to just play dump and chase all game and get anywhere with it.

• Haha
Reactions: Pez68

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Oh, for f*** sakes I forgot Soda is in net

My optimism is gone.

What is this ole bullshit?

Also poor Phillips, playing with Tinordi. Wonder if he wishes he was scratched?

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
They can't play dump and chase because they are too slow to retrieve the puck. And even if they do get it, they aren't talented enough to hold on to the puck and get meaningful o zone time. Other teams are too talented to just play dump and chase all game and get anywhere with it.

This is just patently false, but like I said in another thread, I'm done arguing with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad