Recalled/Assigned: Hawks call up Roos, Philp, re-assign Phillips

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
This is how it's been done since 2-way contracts.

Once he signs his 1-way he'll be fine.

Other players deserve a look as well.

Phillips will get a couple cups of coffee then he will be here permanently.
I spent an hour on the phone because work tried to shortchange me an hour of overtime for working through daylight savings time when it fell back. People don't like it when you mess with their money.

Agree to disagree I suppose.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
I spent an hour on the phone because work tried to shortchange me an hour of overtime for working through daylight savings time when it fell back. People don't like it when you mess with their money.

Agree to disagree I suppose.
That's not a good arguement.

Phillip's signed a 2way contract.
The Hawks signed Phillip's to a 2way contract.
All parties agreed to a 2way contract.

The Hawks have paid Phillip's his AHL salary when he was in the AHL.

The Hawks have paid Phillip's his NHL salary when he was in the NHL.

The Hawks have not refused to pay Phillip's his salary for time worked in either league.

NHL, MLB, NFL and the NBA all have different rules for young players to sign an entry level deal and earn a better deal as they develop.

Phillip's is still at the entry level deal phase of his career. He is not being "nickled and dimed" by the Hawks. They are paying him what they owe him.

If they believe that the best thing for their players long term development is to play more minutes in the AHL it is their right to send him down. Phillip's agreed to those terms when he signed the contract.

I'm sure they told Phillip's that he is making progress (and he is) and to continue to work on certain things so he can be with the team full time.

Phillip's is a totally different player than he was last year. I've been very pleased with how much he has improved. It won't be long before he is a regular on the team.

Reactions: Muffinalt

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
That's not a good arguement.

Phillip's signed a 2way contract.
The Hawks signed Phillip's to a 2way contract.
All parties agreed to a 2way contract.

The Hawks have paid Phillip's his AHL salary when he was in the AHL.

The Hawks have paid Phillip's his NHL salary when he was in the NHL.

The Hawks have not refused to pay Phillip's his salary for time worked in either league.

NHL, MLB, NFL and the NBA all have different rules for young players to sign an entry level deal and earn a better deal as they develop.

Phillip's is still at the entry level deal phase of his career. He is not being "nickled and dimed" by the Hawks. They are paying him what they owe him.

If they believe that the best thing for their players long term development is to play more minutes in the AHL it is their right to send him down. Phillip's agreed to those terms when he signed the contract.

I'm sure they told Phillip's that he is making progress (and he is) and to continue to work on certain things so he can be with the team full time.

Phillip's is a totally different player than he was last year. I've been very pleased with how much he has improved. It won't be long before he is a regular on the team.
He had to sign a two way contract. He's outperformed guys in the NHL. He's not getting paid like it.

I'm not arguing the Blackhawks are in breach of contract so I don't quite understand why you're making that distinction.

I'm saying the human element is a very real thing.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
He had to sign a two way contract. He's outperformed guys in the NHL. He's not getting paid like it.

I'm not arguing the Blackhawks are in breach of contract so I don't quite understand why you're making that distinction.

I'm saying the human element is a very real thing.
Your focus is also very short sighted. Sometimes people also still are acknowledging their long term gains and goals.

What's better for Phillips, playing in the nhl earning more now, but potentially being rushed at 21 and never growing beyond a 5/6 dman making max 2.5mil. Or developing with more AHL time, earning less but maybe gaining more skill n confidence to be a 5 mil player at his prime?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Your focus is also very short sighted. Sometimes people also still are acknowledging their long term gains and goals.

What's better for Phillips, playing in the nhl earning more now, but potentially being rushed at 21 and never growing beyond a 5/6 dman making max 2.5mil. Or developing with more AHL time, earning less but maybe gaining more skill n confidence to be a 5 mil player at his prime?
I don't think Phillips ever turns into anything close to a five million per guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad