GDT: Hawks @ Avs 10/18/23 9:30 Espn

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Korchinski making a case for himself to get sent back to the WHL. That ruled back off-sides no goal was particularly embarrassing. He’s good with the puck on his stick but still has a long way to go when he doesn’t. Let’s see what Isaak Phillips has in his last year of being a waiver exempt player.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Korchinski making a case for himself to get sent back to the WHL. That ruled back off-sides no goal was particularly embarrassing. He’s good with the puck on his stick but still has a long way to go when he doesn’t. Let’s see what Isaak Phillips has in his last year of being a waiver exempt player.
Give him his 9 games at least and then make the choice

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
just give us a PP unit that looks like this before KK might end up back in Seattle

Hall-Reichel-AA
Korchinski-Bedard

Hall Johnson Donato
AA Bedard Reichel
Foligno Dickinson Perry
Katchouk Entwistle Raddysh

Put Bedard with some speed and easier match-ups @ home...
This, Bedard needs to play with speedy wingers to create more space for him

Reactions: Muffinalt

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
One mistake and its time to go away, geez. This kid has had so many positives so far this season, he needs to stay here against the men and grow up here.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Though technically he forced the play to be offsides by his work at the blueline

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

He had a couple mistakes against what I would consider the 2nd best team in the NHL. He was also probably our best D yesterday. He made numerous good defensive plays. I don't see any reason to send him back.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Murphy looks f***ing terrible out there so far. Every time the puck is on his stick I expect something bad to happen.
He's lost it, it happens with bigger defensive defensemen in their early 30s. They don't age well.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
A few people are way too excited for the Zaitsev-Tinordi pairing that would occur from sending KK down.
Well the Hawks are still tanking, so that doesn't bother me too much. Meanwhile, give Kaiser a shot on his natural side playing with Murphy, don't leave Murphy out to dry covering for a teenager. See what you have in Isaak Phillips (144 career AHL and 20 career NHL games played) and Filip Roos (51 career SHL, 41 career AHL and 17 career NHL games). Korchinski can go back to players his own age, focus on being the well-rounded Number 1 Defenseman with an emphasis on the defensive side, possibly captain his country at the World Juniors, save a year on his contract and come back next year stronger and more well-rounded.

I think people should be a bit more realistic with KK. He's a -4, has picked up one cheapo secondary assist where he didn't drive a play. They've done their best to shelter him as much as possible with 52.4 % offensive zone start time. He had a nice camp to earn a spot on the roster, and I suppose if you completely ignore the picture you could make a case he's one of the 6 or 7 best defensemen to be worthy of a roster spot, but I'd rather absorb the positive takeaways for him to build off than spend the rest of the season getting hemmed on a bad team to possibly destroy confidence.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Honestly, I'd rather see a couple more kids on D than watch Zaitsev, Tinordi, or Murphy stink up the ice every night.
Same

If they can get Murphy off the team, do it. Problem is I don't think they have any RHD in the system after Murphy and Zaitsev.

Korch is too good for the WHL and not good enough for the NHL, it sucks but it is what it is.

I'd rather him develop in the NHL this year and then have to go down to Rockford next year. There's nothing he can learn left in Juniors. He has to adjust to the pro game.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Same

If they can get Murphy off the team, do it. Problem is I don't think they have any RHD in the system after Murphy and Zaitsev.

Korch is too good for the WHL and not good enough for the NHL, it sucks but it is what it is.

I'd rather him develop in the NHL this year and then have to go down to Rockford next year. There's nothing he can learn left in Juniors. He has to adjust to the pro game.
He didn't even play on the Penalty Kill for the Thunderbirds last postseason. He was playing with a very stout 20 year old defensive defenseman (Luke Prokop) to cover him, and they had Jeremy Hanzel and Nolan Allan on the other pair to take a lot of tough matchups as well. He also had a tendency to go to his bread and butter of skating and distributing and so the assists piled up super easily because Seattle had also had stacked forwards like Dylan Guenther, Brad Lambert, Jared Davidson and Reid Schaefer to pass to, so he didn't have to consider using his shot more selectively. I think he has a lot more to potentially learn if he is in a situation where he is the clear, all situations, alpha, even if we don't necessarily need to his stat total rise.

Agreed it would be kinda useless to send him back with a plan to do exactly the same thing as last year, but if he has clear goals and a new role on a much less stacked team (whether that be Seattle or someone else). I think there's a lot more to learn. I think in general defensemen are going to benefit more from going to Juniors than a Forward (like if someone proposed putting Reichel back in the AHL or whatever) due to the larger developmental curve and the more things you'd ideally ask a defensemen to be able to do.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
He didn't even play on the Penalty Kill for the Thunderbirds last postseason. He was playing with a very stout 20 year old defensive defenseman (Luke Prokop) to cover him, and they had Jeremy Hanzel and Nolan Allan on the other pair to take a lot of tough matchups as well. He also had a tendency to go to his bread and butter of skating and distributing and so the assists piled up super easily because Seattle had also had stacked forwards like Dylan Guenther, Brad Lambert, Jared Davidson and Reid Schaefer to pass to, so he didn't have to consider using his shot more selectively. I think he has a lot more to potentially learn if he is in a situation where he is the clear, all situations, alpha, even if we don't necessarily need to his stat total rise.
I'm concerned that going back to juniors will just reinforce bad habits and stunt development.
He should be playing in Rockford, but that's not possible.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's October and people overreact.
Wouldn't call it overreaction, Korchinski is halfway through his tryout so the decision day is looming

Well Murph sure as shit isn't covering for KK. Murphy has been a lot worse than the teenager, it's not even really close.
Right, because he's being asked to account for other things above his paygrade due to the fact that the teenager getting his first NHL action is his D partner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad