GDT: Hawks at Wings | 7:00, November 30

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Carrying 3 goalies is only sustainable for so long. Between games and practices, there's only so much ice. Teams don't generally carry 3 goalies for extended periods of time, and for good reason.

Detroit is pushing the situation pretty far, and I think it's obviously because we haven't had a goalie totally establish himself, let alone two. We may be getting close though. You gotta believe Husso can get to the point of being at least half of a rotation, given his track record. And Lyon continues to show he may be a big part of the solution as well. I think Reimer is getting close to being the odd man out. If Yzerman can get something for him, great, but if not just waive him, who cares.
Gotta be honest I don't understand the problem at all. You make it sound like a ticking bomb.

Carrying 3 goalies is trending towards being more common and some of the teams that don't probably wish they could.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don’t think Berggren is an NHLer. I really haven’t been impressed with him.

He did take the high stick like a champ though.
For sure, nice Euro football dive.

He did have a rare takeaway though. He' Sprong V2.0, enough offensive capability that teams will take a chance at him but not enough defensive effort that anyone wants to keep him. I'm expecting him to float around the league as a bottom 6 player much like Sprong.

Really strange for a Swedish/SHL player to have zero commitment to playing any defense.

Hutchinson has NHL experience and is more than capable of being a 3rd-string NHL goalie. He's probably better than most. Again, there's a good reason teams rarely carry 3 goalies. In a way, it is broken, in that it's not sustainable.

The problem with goalies in the Detroit system isn't that there isn't enough depth, there is plenty. It's that we haven't had anyone seize the reigns. Once that happens, there's no point in carrying 3.
We have a coach that can't figure out which goalie is winning games, lol. FFS, just let Lyon start until he starts shitting the bed.

Couldn’t catch the game. How did Moose play?
Same as usual. Playing like last year never happened. I have no idea what happened to him.

I don't use the word "regression" much, usually when a player has a "sophomore" slump, it's because the league makes adjustments based on scouting. In his case, it's like all the skills he learned last season disappeared. He flat out sucks. I had really high hopes for him before the season started too.

Note: I used the word "sophomore" not because it's his second season, but because last year was his breakout year.

He needs to play 4C until he wakes up.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Easy win. Everything was over after 4-1. Just surfing in the end.

Wings leading after 1st period record:
- 5-0-0

Wings leading after 2nd period record:
- 10-2-0 (only losses for NYR, and TOR at Stockholm-game)

Not bad.

Reactions: Ricelund

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I think this was one of Rasmussens better games this season. Definitely showing some signs in the third.
He's so frustrating to me. He's really good at the cycle and holding the puck down low but that appears to be it...he can't seem to transition that possession into something that bears fruit. I have the same frustrations with Veleno until he pops off. You see him zoom down the ice make one or two cuts and turn backs and then...nothing. I hope they figure it out.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
But...But...Can't we have both?
I mean I would prefer a guy that can do both. If taking 2 min minors in retaliation for our guys getting hit is their best attribute then they aren't that guy. Kostin can't PK or do much of anything else. He roams around on the 4th line sometimes making a hit or taking a shot.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Gotta be honest I don't understand the problem at all. You make it sound like a ticking bomb.
"Ticking time bomb" might be a little strong, but there's only 2 nets in practice, and only 1 net in games. You can't keep 3 goalies on the roster sharp at any given time. It's not sustainable.

Carrying 3 goalies is trending towards being more common and some of the teams that don't probably wish they could.
They most certainly do not, and it's not a trend. Teams wish they can start the season with two guys they can rely on. Teams wish that top teams like the Lightning aren't looking to snag a goalie off waivers before opening night. There are reasons teams sometimes carry 3 goalies, but it's never the ideal situation.

Three teams started the season with three, but it didn't last:

Philly - Sandstrom waived on Day 2 of the season, have had 2 goalies since
LA - Rittich sent down a week into the season, have had 2 goalies since
Buffalo - sent Levi down this week, now have 2 goalies

And two teams continue to carry three goalies:

Detroit - Waiting for two guys to entrench themselves
Montreal - Still mucking around with 3 goalies, not willing to lose one on waivers, trying to trade one, and the Montreal media has been questioning it all.

A three-goaltender situation can be a nightmare, which is why it is seldom seen. The Canadiens are one of only two NHL teams carrying three goaltenders — Detroit is the other team — and they are in that position because general manager Kent Hughes is afraid he might lose one of the trio if he has to expose them to waivers before sending them to Laval. He’s not opposed to parting with one of them, but he wants to get something in return.

Detroit and Montreal are the exception to the rule, and it won't last.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Detroit and Montreal are the exception to the rule, and it won't last.
Both teams are trying to get something for their extra goalie, because they won't clear waivers. If Stevie had waived Lyon, he'd be looking pretty stupid right now.

I'd actually do a 3 goalie rotation, if Lyon and Reimer can perform like this against better teams then I'd waive Hus-soft and clear $4.75M off next year's cap.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
When was the last time we scored a shorthand goal? 10 years ago?
The west is so weak. Even without Larkin and btb game we easily won this game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad