GDT: Hawks at Preds - 7PM CT on NBCSCH+ Back to the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
It was but it could have been competitive. It’s no longer competitive. Due to injuries among many other factors.
this team was never competitive what are you talking about? they didn't win two games in a row until december 7th through 9th. competitive teams aren't built to win top 5 picks. you are trying to have your cake and eat it too.
But this can’t happen again next year. I feel like Davidson almost has to make some big moves in the offseason to avoid this stink getting worse.
unfortunately, it absolutely can happen again next year. there are no big moves in the offing that will turn this pumpkin into a carriage. that you feel that way is more indication that you are sick of watching a losing team than that this team is two moves away from being decently constructed.
I‘d like him to sign one big free agent forward and trade for another legitimate forward. It felt like Bedard was on an island to start the season, but now he’s playing with anvils attached.
why are your two targets forwards when this team has no defense? what are you moving for a forward? picks? futures? for what benefit? bedard's stats look better and he can bid up his rfa contract with the middling hawks that will result?

the problem with this team is not that bedard needs help. that is a problem, one that probably becomes less pronounced as bedard ages, and one that will need to be solved in the near future, but the team doesn't start winning when bedard has 10-15 million dollars riding on his line, and it looks even worse if that 10-15 million is going to forwards who will be over 30 by the time bedard signs his first contract. the problem with this team is that there is no depth. handcuffing yourself to a big william nylander contract this off season is an incredible way to end up like the maple laffs with all your money tied up in a few top guys and no money to actually build an nhl squad below the top lines.

Reactions: ClydeLee

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Running a PP consists of 6 key elements:

1..Being a good passer
..I think KK is that.

2.Getting pucks through to the net and beating goalies with it...KK was always more of a set-up paper than a bomb shot fro the point guy in Juniors..So doubtful he ever isxa big goal scorer from the point.

3.Controlling the play by puck control ,dynamism,movement then dishing off to guys open shots ...not sure KK is that good in this aspect...includes "walking the line " and deleting checkers

4.Superior zone entries carrying pucks in ..not sure he excels in this aspect either..

5. Activation...making a play by carrying puck and attacking the net or going to the net to chunk in rebounds ...so NOT always being predictable by saying only out deep on the point.
I think there are flashes of this from KK.Maybe he develops this ability to a greater frequency ?
We need to see him be more aggressive in activating...mirror Josi...

6.Being in position to keep pucks in thevo-zone by intercepting clearing attempts up the boards on his side. I do not yhinknhevhas shown this that well...Gotta be better at it.

Not every successful PP qb does all 6 of these things at an elitevlevel..but I think you mist master at least 4 of these to be successful running a potent PP...

Right now KK seems to be only good at mayb e 2 of the 6 items.(Passing and potential for going low to the net when he activates ...but he does nit attempt enough of this)....the other 4 categories I do not he has shown much with.at least...so far...

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Except we saw KK struggle earlier in the year there too and the chances/goals against when he was there. Which is normal to expect.

he hasn't shown big growth so not a lot of better play should of been assumed. He wasn't dominat on the Pp in junior so expecting him to distribute like he did in junior when the talent is weak, Especially as a rookie, isn't sensible to me to expect.

Last edited:
Reactions: d rake

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
KK should be getting 14 mins a night in sheltered role. He's basically being asked to play #1 mins against top competition as a 19 year old rookie. LOL @ people talking shit about him, if he was on any other team in the league, he would probably be in the WHL right now.

Reactions: Idionym

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
It's almost like the org intentionally wants our young players to struggle. Tough love almost.

Say it's 5 years from now and we are looking back at this season. Do we think the kids will be all the better for it?

Reactions: hockeydoug

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
How many 19 year old defensemen have been equipped to run an NHL first powerplay unit? All the best powerplay QBs today were in college or juniors then. Hedman had exactly 1 powerplay point as a 19 year old.

Not saying I thought he’d be some elite force on the PP right away. Just that I was expecting some form of improvement over Seth Jones who was as bad as it gets on the PP.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
It's almost like the org intentionally wants our young players to struggle. Tough love almost.

Say it's 5 years from now and we are looking back at this season. Do we think the kids will be all the better for it?

The overwhelming majority of the roster we’re eventually going to have isn’t even here yet. So it’s really only about Bedard, KK, and Vlasic. And maybe Reichel.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
The overwhelming majority of the roster we’re eventually going to have isn’t even here yet. So it’s really only about Bedard, KK, and Vlasic. And maybe Reichel.
I think Vlasic and Reichel (even though he struggled this year, he tore up the AHL twice and played well in his extended stint last year) would be considered ready by most organization's standards, so it's really just KK who one could argue we're rushing given that Bedard would be on every single NHL roster this year.

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
Two things can be true. KK isn't ready for the role he is asked to be played most nights, while also saying that Seth Jones has been a terrible PP QB.
this will continue as the fans keep buying tickets. it will stop when the Blackhawks start losing money that's all they care about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad