Confirmed with Link: Hawerchuk a guest coach @ Jets development camp

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Would be great to see Ducky work his way into the front office with the Jets. Assistant with the AHL team to start?

Watching him in person behind the bench with the Colts, the dude is still very passionate about hockey - not that it reflects on Noel's coaching prowess, but the on-bench attitude and reactions are 180 degrees from each other.

I agree! Time to link some of our brightest stars of the past to the organisation. Would definitely bring a lot of class and do wonders to promote the organisation and city to our young prospects and to entice potential UFAs..

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Would be great to see Ducky work his way into the front office with the Jets. Assistant with the AHL team to start?

Watching him in person behind the bench with the Colts, the dude is still very passionate about hockey - not that it reflects on Noel's coaching prowess, but the on-bench attitude and reactions are 180 degrees from each other.

Why not assistant to Paul Maurice ? We haven't hired a replacement for Perry Pearn yet have we ?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Why not assistant to Paul Maurice ? We haven't hired a replacement for Perry Pearn yet have we ?

We already have 2 assistants, which is the typical amount an NHL team would have.

Chevy also stated we may not hire another assistant to replace Pearn per se. Pearn was brought in to help improve our crappy special teams, they didn't improve, we fired him and now it looks like Maurice believes he can do that job (or have Pascal Vincent do it) well enough without having to bring another coach in. Plus I don't imagine we'd be bringing ducky in to teach special teams.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I think this all leads to Dale Hawerchuk being the first Jets 1.0 player to be officially honoured by the Jets 2.0 and rightfully so in my opinion.

Puck Hawerchuck

Jan 8, 2014
St Vital
I think this all leads to Dale Hawerchuk being the first Jets 1.0 player to be officially honoured by the Jets 2.0 and rightfully so in my opinion.

I would have to agree. Awesome move by TNSE as he knows how to teach and get the best out of young players and he also links the new generation of Jets prospects to our old Jets. Win-win!

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I agree! Time to link some of our brightest stars of the past to the organisation. Would definitely bring a lot of class and do wonders to promote the organisation and city to our young prospects and to entice potential UFAs..

Not that hawerchuk couldn't do a good job
But this thinking hasn't worked out well for Edmonton.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
TNSE shouldn't hire Hawerchuk.

If a former NHL doesn't have a sufficient amount of rings, then they don't know what it takes to win!

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Is TNSE hiding Hawerchuk??

No interview with him on the Jets website or any of the main news outlets.

Him showing up to be a guest coach at the Jets development camp is akin to Gretzky showing up at an Oilers or Kings camp.

Where is the coverage on this?

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg

Him showing up to be a guest coach at the Jets development camp is akin to Gretzky showing up at an Oilers or Kings camp.

There may not have been any planning involved. He could have just been at his cottage and someone said, "Hey, Dale is in town, lets ask him if he wants to come in and talk to our guys".

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011

Maybe Dale asked them not to make a big deal of this.

Hawerchuck was in many ways like Selanne - shy, understated superstar who absolutely fit Winnipeg like a glove. Learned to be a great pro. He was extremely hurt when Mike Smith traded him out of Winnipeg. He was very very close to signing back in Winnipeg late in his career, but it didn't happen, and the hip finished him shortly thereafter.

Had lunch with him (and a couple of glasses of wine) just before the Thrashers were purchased. He was in Winnipeg for an event, and he was really excited and hopeful the NHL would return. He was coaching some junior b hockey at the time, and you could really tell that his passion for the game would,lead him up to a higher level. It was wonderful chatting about the old times, and he was just fantastic and knowledgeable about the game (even talking power play systems!). Would love to see him coaching in the NHl someday :)

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
There may not have been any planning involved. He could have just been at his cottage and someone said, "Hey, Dale is in town, lets ask him if he wants to come in and talk to our guys".

Could be. But I doubt that.

This could be another TNSE smothering/removal/neglect of anything Jets 1.0 related because they want to "promote their brand" at this time.

:shakehead

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Could be. But I doubt that.

This could be another TNSE smothering/removal/neglect of anything Jets 1.0 related because they want to "promote their brand" at this time.

:shakehead

Isn't that a little too cynical? If that was the case, why would they have him at all?

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

Dale would be free to talk to the press, perhaps he doesn't want the attention. If the media doesn't really mention this in their papers then that's on them.

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Isn't that a little too cynical? If that was the case, why would they have him at all?

I don't think its cynical at all. TNSE have made this clear on a number of fronts. They are promoting/selling the Jets 2.0 brand. That means no showcase of Jets 1.0 videos, pictures on the website or any honouring of past greats. They will even go so far as to not have any Jets 1.0 alums interviewed for their website. As there have been a few occasions where Jets 1.0 alums attended games in the past 3 years.

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Dale would be free to talk to the press, perhaps he doesn't want the attention. If the media doesn't really mention this in their papers then that's on them.

I suspect TNSE is instructing media to stay away from Hawerchuk as it relates to this development camp - because he represents Jets 1.0.

I mean, this is an organization that told Chris Jericho to remove his Hawerchuk jersey and put on a Jets 2.0 uni so that they could interview him during a game.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
I don't think its cynical at all. TNSE have made this clear on a number of fronts. They are promoting/selling the Jets 2.0 brand. That means no showcase of Jets 1.0 videos, pictures on the website or any honouring of past greats. They will even go so far as to not have any Jets 1.0 alums interviewed for their website. As there have been a few occasions where Jets 1.0 alums attended games in the past 3 years.

Then why would they have him guest coach?

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I suspect TNSE is instructing media to stay away from Hawerchuk as it relates to this development camp - because he represents Jets 1.0.

I disagree. Randy Gilhen was also a guest coach last season. Neither Gilhen nor Hawerchuk are employees of the team - so of course there is little focus offered by the media toward them.

The Jets will apparently honour the old team at the Heritage Classic game that will eventually be held here. The preliminary plans IIRC have the alumni team to be largely constructed of old Jets (along with a few former Moose players such as Keane & Roy). It seems to me they aren't intentionally ignoring the past hockey history of the city; it appears they conversely just plan to honour it at the proper time.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011

I get that. I was talking about in this case...can you answer me that if they were that freaked out about any and all past, why have Dale Hawerchuck within 500 miles of MTS Iceplex, let alone on the ice with the players?

If you want to hear from Hawerchuck, then blame the vaunted Winnipeg media for not talking to him.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

Yeah, that is absolutely way too cynical. Does anybody else wonder why of all the numbers worn by former Jets 1.0 players that number 10 has never been handed out to a current player, that both Little and Setoguchi changed from 10 to other numbers. I feel they are gearing up to honour Dale Hawerchuk in some way probably to coincide with a heritage jersey. Hawerchuk will the first to he honoured as he should be.

I mean c'mon I'm sure TNSE were like " let's invite this former Jets 1.0 player to help coach the prospects in front of a full Ice Plex but let's not let the media get a hold of him because that might cause some confusion in our brand loyalty"

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
Plus TNSE needs to be called on their glaring lack of attention in policing this.

They released the original logos in the pin sets last year, with the titles "Heritage Logo 1979-1990" and "Heritage Logo 1990-1996", proving their attempts to ignore the past. This is just another slap in the face to us longtime Winnipeg Jets fans.

Oh. Wait.. hashtag end sarcasm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad