Has there ever been so many Jewish NHL players of this caliber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The majority of last names you probably associate with being Jewish are just German or Polish last names.

Yes, I take that into account. Hughes is Irish or English, not in any planet is it Jewish. That said it could have been changed at Ellis Island or something.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
The majority of last names you probably associate with being Jewish are just German or Polish last names.

excellent point. a friend of mine has a last name that is this (german but not jewish)

also, i do like that this thread has been civil, informative, respectful and also at the same time comical.

people be cool is good

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Mathieu Schneider deserves a mention

I used to skate with his brother and Billy Jaffe, who was an on camera NHL analyst for a few different networks and served as captain of the 1997 Maccabiah Games team that won gold

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Mathieu Schneider deserves a mention

I used to skate with his brother and Billy Jaffe, who was an on camera NHL analyst for a few different networks and served as captain of the 1997 Maccabiah Games team that won gold
I met Mathieu Schneider and his grandfather once at a Safeway in Vancouver. I was singing Christmas carols raising money for a charity, saw them come in, knew that Mathieu Schneider were Jewish, so began singing a Chanukah song. They gave some money, and then Mathieu's grandfather told me one of the filthiest jokes I'd ever heard. Mathieu looked mortified, but also resigned to fate.

Good times.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Has there ever been this many Jewish NHL players of this calibre (sic, including our friends from across the pond) ?

Adam Fox
Zach Hyman
Jack Hughes
Quinn Hughes
Luke Hughes
Jason Zucker
Jakob Chychrun

I don't think I've ever seen so many top NHL players who are also members of the tribe at one time in the NHL.

Never knew the Hughes brothers were Jews. It has already been mentioned but Schneider was the only one I could think of off the top of my head. Phil Esposito said they used to pretend Ted Green was Jewish on the Bruins, but he wasn't. All American on that list except Hyman and Chychrun (raised in Canada, played on the under 18 for Canada).

I am going to take a crack at it, but is there a better athlete ever that was Jewish than Sandy Koufax?

Reactions: Kane One

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Never knew the Hughes brothers were Jews. It has already been mentioned but Schneider was the only one I could think of off the top of my head. Phil Esposito said they used to pretend Ted Green was Jewish on the Bruins, but he wasn't. All American on that list except Hyman and Chychrun (raised in Canada, played on the under 18 for Canada).

I am going to take a crack at it, but is there a better athlete ever that was Jewish than Sandy Koufax?
You could argue Hank Greenberg.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think they're half Jewish but consider themselves Jewish. I wouldn't have guessed because their last name isn't Jewish.

Ya, Hughes isn’t exactly Rubenstein.

Yes, I take that into account. Hughes is Irish or English, not in any planet is it Jewish. That said it could have been changed at Ellis Island or something.

Hughes' mother is Ellen Weinberg which is about as Jewish as it gets.

His father is not.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
It seems the space lasers have acted like the lightning from War of the Worlds. Im only like 6% Jewish heritage and have been feeling better these last few years

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Legitimately curious why a player's faith is important/significant?

I'm not trying to dunk on the thread, I'm just trying to understand. I understand there is a lot of pride/community around Judaism, but do Jewish people really feel as that much 'apart' from the rest of society that there is a running tally of all the famous/successful people that share the same faith as some sort of connection to them?

Although hopefully someday it will seem equally bizarre, with race/nationality it makes more sense. People of colour in NA have been disproportionately disadvantaged (putting it lightly) and still working towards being seen as equal. Hockey being the most inaccessible sports there is, more people of colour playing at the highest level in some ways signifies progress for the sport and society. By the same token, players that have grown up in untraditional hockey markets (i.e. places without winter) is also something significant to celebrate as hockey fans.

So why is it the same sentiment felt with Jewish players?

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
I do enjoy some light reading
What you did there, I see it.

taMhwL.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Boris Zubov
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events