Has Quebec City been priced out of the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yeah, I think it's relocation or nothing. An eastern team mind you

The things is no team is available in the East. Carolina was bought, and paid for. Broward signed a 15 year subsidized agreement to keep the Panthers in Florida. Isles got a new arena. Ottawa is the only one remotely possible if business goes sideways between Melnyk and the city. Columbus even though they don't make money, will never move as long as McMullen is there. Coyotes and Flames are the 2 other hot spots, where there is no progress. Houston is at least open to a team. Coyotes would be the cheapest you could buy. Calgary to Quebec just seems impossible, on so many levels...I guess the threat alone would probably get an arena built in Calgary. Quebec is simply shut out.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The things is no team is available in the East. Carolina was bought, and paid for. Broward signed a 15 year subsidized agreement to keep the Panthers in Florida. Isles got a new arena. Ottawa is the only one remotely possible if business goes sideways between Melnyk and the city. Columbus even though they don't make money, will never move as long as McMullen is there. Coyotes and Flames are the 2 other hot spots, where there is no progress. Houston is at least open to a team. Coyotes would be the cheapest you could buy. Calgary to Quebec just seems impossible, on so many levels...I guess the threat alone would probably get an arena built in Calgary. Quebec is simply shut out.

John J. McConnell is the backer of the Columbus Blue Jackets, voyageur... John McMullen who brought pro hockey to New Jersey, and briefly ran Houston's Astros passed in 1985 at age 87.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

New owner would have to payoff Coyotes debt and relocation fees. Not sure final cost would be lower than an expansion team and I don't expect more added anytime soon.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
It's not. The NHL can expand to Houston and Quebec, 17/17. All hope is not lost.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It's not. The NHL can expand to Houston and Quebec, 17/17. All hope is not lost.

what? Melrose, show me and the board where it states, outside of Seattle, that the NHL is opening expansion to both Houston and Quebec.

Fact is, both cities have been told relocation, not expansion... and there is nothing stated that Fertitta is submitting an expansion bid after buying both the Toyota Center and the Rockets.... simply, that put him out of financial consideration for what the NHL is requiring OVG's bid for Seattle, independent of what they do to the arena....

there is at present no bid from Quebec to be interested in a relocation bid for an existing team, either, and what market or franchise you bring up has been discussed ad nauseum....

Carolina=settled;
Florida: do you want another Arizona where there's an arena/arena operator/ no tenant, and pay Broward County off for as long as that lease exists

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
what? Melrose, show me and the board where it states, outside of Seattle, that the NHL is opening expansion to both Houston and Quebec.

Fact is, both cities have been told relocation, not expansion... and there is nothing stated that Fertitta is submitting an expansion bid after buying both the Toyota Center and the Rockets.... simply, that put him out of financial consideration for what the NHL is requiring OVG's bid for Seattle, independent of what they do to the arena....

there is at present no bid from Quebec to be interested in a relocation bid for an existing team, either, and what market or franchise you bring up has been discussed ad nauseum....

Carolina=settled;
Florida: do you want another Arizona where there's an arena/arena operator/ no tenant, and pay Broward County off for as long as that lease exists
I was saying they can, not that the league would.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think the Nordiques best chance would be the Coyotes moving there. At some point the NHL is going to pull the plug. But the only way it would get past the BoG is if Calgary moved to Houston. That way the NHL would have moved a franchise from Canada to the U.S and back to Canada, and vice versa, fair trade.

Because I think Detroit and the BoG would take the offer to be in a division of

Detroit
Chicago
Minnesota
Winnipeg
St. Louis
Nashville
Dallas
Houston

One hour time zone difference only.

Colorado goes to the Pacific with Mountain and Pacific Time zones.

It would nice if the two New York teams came to play in a division with original six rivals Toronto, Montreal and Boston. Toronto-Ottawa, Toronto-Montreal, Montreal-Quebec, Montreal-Boston. Boston-N.Y. are good rivalries to sell to networks.

And New Jersey got more exposure on NBC in a division with Philly, Pitt, Washington. And Columbus, Carolina, Tampa, Florida (Atlanta) rounding out the small but emerging markets.

Pipe dream and couldn't happen until Seattle came in, but would be a different look. I think more attractive to all the networks.

Last edited:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
^^^^^
No chance Detroit moves again. They think they like the Toronto group, and it's much better for local TV start times. One of the super-mods here (Fugu maybe) has very adamantly shared that with us many many times.

If Yotes>>QC (and I think that's possible, if Fertitta won't pay and the money for credit to cover losses runs dry - but it's not very likely), then you are going to have COL in the Pacific, and QC is going to play in the Central. There is a special schedule adjustment for that which gives them an extra game against all the NE corridor teams. But, I doubt the BOG would go for that, and I am sure the BOG would only do this as a very last resort,

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
What a poster says doesn't make it truth. It is an opinion. Ask a network exec, if they would not poop their pants at the chance to broadcast Detroit-Chicago, Toronto-Montreal, Bruins and Rangers in the 1st round of the playoffs. That's who ultimately will decide any relocation idea, and the owners it effects. Detroit-Toronto, and certainly Detroit-Boston do not represent the same kind of rivalry for U.S. Tv dollars. I'm just saying it makes sense. Not likely to happen, I don't know if the club of owners see it the same way.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
The world cup is the Olympics part 2 at this point, all cost and no benefit. Most people can't name a hockey player or even who won the cup last year, does that mean no one watches hockey? What you presented is circumstantial.

not at all. Ask your average US sports fan about Kickball Cup 2022. They wouldn't even care...

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
not at all. Ask your average US sports fan about Kickball Cup 2022. They wouldn't even care...
This depends on where you are, at least for millenials. I mean the harris poll is pretty ancedotal but it does indicate something.

But back on topic, I think Quebec has been priced out.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Don't we have a situation with inbalanced leagues if you move the yotes to QBC? if the yotes do not go to Houston, you would have to think Portland is a option.

Although I did see they are getting more investors for the yotes in arizona..

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
If the NHL can step in and keep the Yotes running in Arizona, they should help Quebec get a franchise up there. The interest is there. The money is especially hard for a team in Canada given the tax rate. I'm living for the day the Nordiques return. To me, it's a situation that Bettman should make right.

Reactions: voyageur

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I think in terms of likelihood it's A. status quo (nothing) B. 17/17 expansion of Houston & QC C. relocation of an Eastern team (Ottawa) D. relocation of a Western team (Coyotes). Calgary is not moving to Quebec, I'd die on that hill... a serious threat of that happening and an arena gets approved overnight possibly with multilevel government funding. If Coyotes go to QC there would still be a conference imbalance so I highly doubt that as well. Ottawa is on shaky ground, but I think there will ultimately be some sort of mechanism to keep them in town.

Relocation just seems so extremely unpopular with the BoG that I would wager that Houston and QC get in to "complete" the NHL at 34 teams, getting one of the last missing major markets and returning an extremely popular one that was lost would be a real nice coup for the league.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Relocation just seems so extremely unpopular with the BoG that I would wager that Houston and QC get in to "complete" the NHL at 34 teams, getting one of the last missing major markets and returning an extremely popular one that was lost would be a real nice coup for the league.

I'm not so sure the NHL will go beyond 32 teams. Once Seattle gets a team we will be at a point where 16 teams will miss the playoffs each year which is a far cry from when there were only 21 teams and 5 teams missed the playoffs. It's tough on any fan base when their team misses the playoffs year after year. Expansion money may be nice for a while but once teams start losing potential playoff money year in and year out by failing to qualify, then the money does not look so good after a while. I do believe the NHL will attempt to keep the Coyotes in Arizona but they may consider Houston a good alternative for relocation should it not work out in Arizona. That way the conferences would remain balanced at 16 teams in each.

:jets

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Carolina=settled;

I would say you are right, but official league statement is ''Quebec City's application for an expansion team is being deffered''.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
They offered 500m when Vegas did and the application was "deferred". So, yeah, no, even if they were to offer 650M, they wouldn't get in.
It hasn't been confirmed they offered $500m. Everyone became very quiet when the deferment went down. What we do know is Quebecor was looking for additional investors, probably because they couldn't come up the $500m. Nobody came forward (at least publicly)Quebecor wants partners in NHL team bid - Sportsnet.ca

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If the NHL can step in and keep the Yotes running in Arizona, they should help Quebec get a franchise up there. The interest is there. The money is especially hard for a team in Canada given the tax rate. I'm living for the day the Nordiques return. To me, it's a situation that Bettman should make right.

How? Its going to unbalance the league again. Bettman doesn't owe quebec anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad