Has Quebec City been priced out of the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
a) Because NHL doesn't want to give us a big league team
b) How would you feel if Carolina Hurricanes AHL team was in Hartford, CT instead of the Whalers ?
I believe you're making a comparison to the fact that the NHL tried to put Montreal's AHL team in Quebec, and it failed? Well, maybe if they put COLORADO's AHL team there instead it would not have been as much of a **** show. But, I don't know how it would feel to have your NHL team leave, and receive it's AHL affiliate in it's place. I'd probably be a little insulted that my city got "downgraded" from a major-league sports town to a minor-league one.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I believe you're making a comparison to the fact that the NHL tried to put Montreal's AHL team in Quebec, and it failed? Well, maybe if they put COLORADO's AHL team there instead it would not have been as much of a **** show. But, I don't know how it would feel to have your NHL team leave, and receive it's AHL affiliate in it's place. I'd probably be a little insulted that my city got "downgraded" from a major-league sports town to a minor-league one.

Exactly, but guess what, we're being blamed ''for refusing to support not only a downgraded product (AHL) but also the team of our dire enemy, the f***ing habs. That's the equivalent of Penguins AHL team playing in Wells Fargo Center in Philly.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Interesting note from Friedman in his latest thoughts:
Almost six years ago (March 2012), there were rumours of the Desmarais family’s interest in an NHL team for Quebec City. Andre Desmarais agreed to a phone conversation, saying his family “has no interest in owning an NHL team at this stage.” With all of the recent speculation about Melnyk’s future, I made another attempt. A spokesman politely declined on behalf of Andre Desmarais and Paul Desmarais Jr. (Last April, Andre took medical leave from day-to-day operations at his company at the request of his doctor.) For what it’s worth, staying quiet is always the recommendation if you are serious about NHL ownership.

(Tried to post link to the article here, but it wasn't working - kept showing a video?!?)

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Almost six years ago (March 2012), there were rumours of the Desmarais family’s interest in an NHL team for Quebec City. Andre Desmarais agreed to a phone conversation, saying his family “has no interest in owning an NHL team at this stage.” With all of the recent speculation about Melnyk’s future, I made another attempt. A spokesman politely declined on behalf of Andre Desmarais and Paul Desmarais Jr. (Last April, Andre took medical leave from day-to-day operations at his company at the request of his doctor.) For what it’s worth, staying quiet is always the recommendation if you are serious about NHL ownership.

(Tried to post link to the article here, but it wasn't working - kept showing a video?!?)

Picking a sole source manager who control the new arena for the next 20 years before they even landed a team was the stupidest idea in Quebec city municipal history... That saying something because I'm old enough to remember some really dumb crap. Like Quebec 84, the ridiculous Olympic bid, and the half a dozen time somebody tried to build a tramway... They should have done a bidding process on it with the provision that you got to have a team first.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Since we're in a totally derailed thread at this point, let me just say that the Most Heinous Evil in the eyes of Canadian fans... would absolutely help Quebec City and other Canadian markets get teams faster.

Revenue Sharing.

Most of the "abandon the South" crowd see revenue sharing as the evil communist plot to "prop up undeserving markets."

But the fact is, the current RS structure is Robin Hood style, and not Three Musketeers style. Because so little of LOCAL revenues is shared among everyone, the NHL is always going to go for "high risk, high reward, massive population centers" (aka PHX/MIA/HOU) because a winning, popular team in a top 10 metroplex would bring in money for everyone via TV ratings/ads. While a team selling out every game in Quebec would bring in local revenues for the owners of Quebec.

If the NHL had an MLB-type revenue sharing model, where each team kicked in 34% of local revenues into the big pool that was divided up by each team.... then adding teams most likely to generate local revenue becomes more significant that before.

Have you possibly entertained the thought that the very likelihood of QC being recipients of RS was 100% the reason they were refused a team......oh I mean deferred :laugh:

You see, in the eyes of the USANHL if they're going to give out RS better to give it to US teams because we all know it's about growing the f***ing game.

Not a chance in hell QC gets a team with US cities coming out of the rat holes expressing interest.
Seattle, Houston, and even San Diego.

I've been skeptical on the Vegas half billion (still am) how the hell is anyone going to make money spending half a billion dollars and needing a place to play and now they're talking 650 million.

Give me a f***ing break.

And you put way too much effort into the abandon the south BS. It's so typical for some to label a group by the actions of a very few but some are known for it more than others.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Have you possibly entertained the thought that the very likelihood of QC being recipients of RS was 100% the reason they were refused a team......oh I mean deferred :laugh:

Not seriously, because the history of financial data we have shows that Canadian markets perform like US markets 4x the size due to the Canadian hockey culture (aka "awesomeness.")

And you're talking to the chairman of the "NHL's CBA has a fatal flaw that prevents the poorer teams from being anything but poor" committee. A good system works for the betterment of everyone, no matter whom is first and whom is last.

But in this Robin Hood system, the rich growing revenues faster than the league average makes the poor have to spend more and more to hit the floor, which means slashing things like "marketing/promotions/image/initiatives to grow the fan base."

So now you've got a bad team that can't afford free agents, AND can't afford to be proactive towards bringing in customers. Which is a recipe for long-term floundering. Which is what we've seen in some markets.

You see, in the eyes of the USANHL if they're going to give out RS better to give it to US teams because we all know it's about growing the ****ing game.

Not a chance in hell QC gets a team with US cities coming out of the rat holes expressing interest.
Seattle, Houston, and even San Diego.

I've been skeptical on the Vegas half billion (still am) how the hell is anyone going to make money spending half a billion dollars and needing a place to play and now they're talking 650 million.

Give me a ****ing break.

Yeah, that part isn't really helping your point on:

And you put way too much effort into the abandon the south BS. It's so typical for some to label a group by the actions of a very few but some are known for it more than others.

You see how easy it is to label a lot of the "pro Canadian markets" when you say things like that?

The NHL will add QC with Houston after Seattle gets their expansion team and the Calgary/Arizona arena situations reach solutions.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

Just my 2 cents , Québec would be playing in the NHL right now if the Desmarais family was in charge of the Nordiques, insted of PKP.

Reactions: Killion

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Quebec City having a team again would be awesome doubtful it happens.

Last edited:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
If it was really a case of the league liking Demarias over PKP....and the only reason one would think this would have communicated this with the city.

I don’t think PKP can be separated from Quebecor. If so then there would need to be pressure from the city and province for them to sell the operating rights to the arena and the Remparts so the Demarias family can control the building instead.

Since there's talk of the Demarias family looking at the Sens and essentially plan B for Lebreton, I think the league is OK with who's behind Quebec's bid right now.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
If it was really a case of the league liking Demarias over PKP....and the only reason one would think this would have communicated this with the city.

I don’t think PKP can be separated from Quebecor. If so then there would need to be pressure from the city and province for them to sell the operating rights to the arena and the Remparts so the Demarias family can control the building instead.

Since there's talk of the Demarias family looking at the Sens and essentially plan B for Lebreton, I think the league is OK with who's behind Quebec's bid right now.

Well.... @Frenchy could very well be right about the NHL having some issues & concerns with PKP and I posted same some pages back on this thread. Put it this way; there are some nasty stains on his suit of armor, so not quite the Shining White Knight Champion as is often portrayed. Some high strangeness thats gone on in his life. Could well be a factor however even then, rather hypocritical, pot calling the kettle black given the cast of characters seated at all 31 seats around the NHL's Round Table. As Stalins Chief of his Secret Police once said, "show me the man, I'll show you the crime". Cant find one, make one up or create one, take issue with whatever moral, religious or political belief or activity. We want the truth here, we want to know what the Hell's going on, why Quebec, a total no brainer isnt in. So to ignore this possibility is to ignore what could well be the obstacle to QC's aspirations & ambitions.

Reactions: Frenchy

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Well.... @Frenchy could very well be right about the NHL having some issues & concerns with PKP and I posted same some pages back on this thread. Put it this way; there are some nasty stains on his suit of armor, so not quite the Shining White Knight Champion as is often portrayed. Some high strangeness thats gone on in his life. Could well be a factor however even then, rather hypocritical, pot calling the kettle black given the cast of characters seated at all 31 seats around the NHL's Round Table. As Stalins Chief of his Secret Police once said, "show me the man, I'll show you the crime". Cant find one, make one up or create one, take issue with whatever moral, religious or political belief or activity. We want the truth here, we want to know what the Hell's going on, why Quebec, a total no brainer isnt in. So to ignore this possibility is to ignore what could well be the obstacle to QC's aspirations & ambitions.

Always keep in mind that the Desmarais family and Gary Bettman are friends. We often heard multiple rumours that when Bettman is on vacation in Québec he often stayed at the Desmarais Mansion. Plus Hélène Desmarais and Gary Bettman are both on the same CEO in New York ( i dont remember which one , but i believe it's the NY symphony orchestra ).

Reactions: Killion

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Exactly, but guess what, we're being blamed ''for refusing to support not only a downgraded product (AHL) but also the team of our dire enemy, the ****ing habs. That's the equivalent of Penguins AHL team playing in Wells Fargo Center in Philly.
I don't think NHL is that naive and see that and assume Quebec could never support a team.

The Palladium

Dec 30, 2017
$650M expansion fee for Seattle. That’s close to $1B Canadian. Quebec is not getting an expansion team. They are also not going to be a relocation of an American team. Not with the weak Canadian dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad