Has Quebec City been priced out of the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Carolina is all but settled, BVG, Florida cannot move either without incurring the WRATH of the County of which the arena sits

Oh I know Carolina has a new owner. That new owner doesn't change it from being a shit market.

You could put Bill Gates in charge of Phoenix...it's still a shit market. People are just interested in other sports in these markets.

And the numbers back this up. So congrats new Carolina owner...you've just purchased an asset that's going to lose you money yearly.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Oh I know Carolina has a new owner. That new owner doesn't change it from being a **** market.

You could put Bill Gates in charge of Phoenix...it's still a **** market. People are just interested in other sports in these markets.

And the numbers back this up. So congrats new Carolina owner...you've just purchased an asset that's going to lose you money yearly.

again, you don't get it, Arizona has nothing to do with CAR or FLA....

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
The Carolina Hurricanes turned a profit last year....

I feel like this needs to be restated after each and every one of your ill-informed comments

Do you actually have a link to that data? I can only find up to 2016 as of right now.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

I feel like this needs to be restated after each and every one of your ill-informed comments

Just wondering;

Did the team make a profit or was it Gale Force Sports & Entertainment that made the profit? It's not unheard of for some teams to actually lose money but the patent company that owns them does OK overall. Which is still fine in the larger picture.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

YoungGuns

May 22, 2013
Calgary, AB

Serious question, did the Hurricanes as a team actually make a profit while attracting 10k fans and sitting dead last on the NHL attendance list?

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Serious question, did the Hurricanes as a team actually make a profit while attracting 10k fans and sitting dead last on the NHL attendance list?

Hurricanes’ Waddell says team made $2M, room for growth – The North State Journal

Team made a wopping 2 m!. But that's somethin.

(technically it made 18 mil if you include the Vegas 16 mil payout to each team)

reasons the article claims

- low team payroll
- influx in jersey sales (because of the change from reebok to addidas or w/e)
- slight increase in gate revenue.

I find all this suspect of a failing team cooking the books in order to find a new buyer. We will see if I'm right and to what their revenue is next year now that the new owner is all in.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Hurricanes’ Waddell says team made $2M, room for growth – The North State Journal

Despite ranking last out of 30 teams in attendance last season (11,776 per game), Waddell said the Hurricanes made approximately $2 million.

And as was stated in the very thorough SBNation article last week, this is all by design. The Canes, from an organizational standpoint, have eliminated discount tickets with a primary focus on building out the STH base and making those season ticket purchases as valuable as they should be, by keeping the value of the tickets surrounding them at that same high price. So while there might be less people on average in house, they're actually bringing in more ticket revenue than they've done in recent years.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Just found this on Forbes:

Carolina Hurricanes on the Forbes The Business of Hockey List

Operating Income: ( Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization. )

2008 - $11.5M loss
2009 - $4.6M loss
2010 - $7.3M loss
2011 - $4.8M loss
2012 - $9.4M loss
2013 - $3.4M loss
2014 - $14M loss
2015 - $11.7M loss
2016 - $15M loss
2017 - $3M gain

Dan Wadell, president of the Hurricanes' parent company, Gale Force Sports & Entertainment, stated in October that the team made a profit of about $2 million during the 2016-17 season, excluding the $16 million each of the league's 30 teams received from the Vegas Golden Knights expansion fee.

Good to see a positive, but not quite sure what they did to pull that off after years of consistent losses. Sorry, was typing while the previous was posted. A change of the way business was done seems to have turned a corner.
Revenue last season was $108M or the highest it's been.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I sense goalposts shifting...

You don't find it odd that a team who sat near the bottom of the league last year happened to make more money than the year before? Oh and said team also just so happened to be looking for a new buyer around this time?

I will be interested in seeing if this incredible upswing in interest of a team that finished dead last sustains and increases again next year now that the new owner is in place.

This feels to me like someone waxing up the paint on that used car with a transmission problem before they sell it.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
You don't find it odd that a team who sat near the bottom of the league last year happened to make more money than the year before? Oh and said team also just so happened to be looking for a new buyer around this time?

I will be interested in seeing if this incredible upswing in interest of a team that finished dead last sustains and increases again next year now that the new owner is in place.

This feels to me like someone waxing up the paint on that used car with a transmission problem.
Typical...

Spew a bunch of BS, get called on it with links to back up how you're wrong, and instead of admitting you're wrong, you essentially dismiss it crying out "fake news" and continue with the slander.

Its getting old.

Max1981

Dec 11, 2017
I don't care who's bankrupt and who isn't. This is about coddling to a population that doesn't give a **** about hockey versus one that does.

It's their money, they can do with it whatever they please.

But let's not pretend that for the most part, hockey isn't an after thought in the United States.

So, when presented with facts that don't support your argument you don't reply and just move on?

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Typical...

Spew a bunch of BS, get called on it with links to back up how you're wrong, and instead of admitting you're wrong, you essentially dismiss it crying out "fake news" and continue with the slander.

Its getting old.

You've been CNN'd. Look if you showed me progressive growth which leads to an eventual revenue generation...I can get behind that.

When you show me a team that the year before was 15 mil in the hole, is now running a 2m profit and is seeing an increase in ticket sales and merchandise sales even though the previous 5 years before it, it was slowly declining in both those areas...

Oh and this huge increase just so happens to coincide with looking for a new buyer...

I mean did the team go on a crazy cup run last year to account for this "sudden interest"? Exactly how does a failing team that was losing interest at an increasing rate the past 5 years prior suddenly reverse that during another failed season???

Explain that.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
So, when presented with facts that don't support your argument you

So, when presented with facts that don't support your argument you don't reply and just move on?

Yeah. I don't buy it. Something here stinks. Looking at Carolina's attendance history and it trends down at a nice steady pace.

And during another failed year suddenly people in a market that has a history of not caring...decided to show up?

Explain why. Explain to me what turned that around.

Here, this was your attendance history including last year;

Carolina Hurricanes - Wikipedia

2017_12_11_15_29_50_Jump_List_for_Internet_Explorer.png

This was a quote in the article I posted...

“From a local standpoint, our ticket revenue was up a little bit from the year prior; not much,” he added.

That's very interesting that ticket revenue was up...yet attendance was down? How the hell does that make any sense?

Last edited:

Max1981

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah. I don't buy it. Something here stinks. Looking at Carolina's attendance history and it trends down at a nice steady pace.

And during another failed year suddenly people in a market that has a history of not caring...decided to show up?

I meant the Kings $32 mil operating income.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Here, this was your attendance history including last year;

Carolina Hurricanes - Wikipedia

2017_12_11_15_29_50_Jump_List_for_Internet_Explorer.png

This was a quote in the article I posted...

“From a local standpoint, our ticket revenue was up a little bit from the year prior; not much,” he added.

That's very interesting that ticket revenue was up...yet attendance was down? How the hell does that make any sense?
I'll just copy/paste, because you failed to read it the first time

And as was stated in the very thorough SBNation article last week, this is all by design. The Canes, from an organizational standpoint, have eliminated discount tickets with a primary focus on building out the STH base and making those season ticket purchases as valuable as they should be, by keeping the value of the tickets surrounding them at that same high price. So while there might be less people on average in house, they're actually bringing in more ticket revenue than they've done in recent years.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
NOTICE:

Ok Gang.... You guys need to take further in depth discussion of the Hurricanes to the thread here discussing that club & the recently announced transaction..... This thread asks HAS QUEBEC CITY BEEN PRICED OUT OF THE NHL?.

Back on topic please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad