Has McDavid Surpassed Malkin's Career Yet?

Better career?

• Total voters

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
It's soooo close, but I voted for McDavid. Several more individual trophies seal it for me.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I would take Malkin career if it ended today over McDavid career if it also ended today. Some individual awards and 3 Cups I would rather have then a few more individual awards without any Cups.

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Wildeye Brewing
There’s absolutely no doubt that McDavid has already surpassed Malkin, and virtually every active player except Crosby and Ovechkin, though I’d say his peak is already better than theirs were.

With longevity, I fully expect him to pass everyone except Gretzky and Lemieux.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
McDavid surpasses Malkin inividually, by a large amount. But Malkin has been on better teams and won Cups and that's the only reason this could even be called close.

Reactions: dukeofjive

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
It’s still Malkin.

Peak wise, McDavid has the regular season accomplishments, but Malkin still has the milestones, the Cups, the international resume, and the playoff resume over McDavid.

McDavid is on pace to pass the entire “Big Three” of Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin by the time he hangs them up though.

Reactions: sanscosm

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Easily McDavid, he’s the most dominant player we’ve seen since prime Lemieux.

The only thing Malkin has over him are cups and those are team achievements.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
People voting for McDavid here should definitely vote for Jagr over Crosby in a poll but I have seen those go Crosbys way all the time.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
The poll says CAREER, right? Malkin and it can't be even close. Unless you mean best seven seasons or peak value or something else.

My Best-Carey

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
The sole reason this is close is because Malkin has three cups and two Conn Smythes.

If/when McDavid wins a cup he'll pass Malkin like he's standing still, but until then...

Well you have what we have now.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Obviously he has lol. People are really going to hold team accomplishments against a better player?

The Cup is freaking hard to win, and it’s only getting harder with more parity. McDavids accomplishments in half the career already trump Malkin.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
It’s still Malkin.

Peak wise, McDavid has the regular season accomplishments, but Malkin still has the milestones, the Cups, the international resume, and the playoff resume over McDavid.

McDavid is on pace to pass the entire “Big Three” of Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin by the time he hangs them up though.
Okay so what milestones does Malkin have that you speak of? 3 cups? That’s literally all he has.

Not fair at all to hold international play in a comparison since McDavid hasn’t had a chance to represent his Country yet on the mens stage.

Malkin has played double the career yet has less individual awards. He was considered the best player in the World for probably 1 season. McDavid has probably done it for the past 5-6 straight.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Playoffs are what make players legends. McDavid still needs his Cup run. Those are the moments we remember through time.

It won't be long until this argument will become almost impossible to justify, though, since McDavid will likely win one of the big awards every year for the next 7-8 years. No touches him from an individual standpoint.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
3 cups and one of the greatest playoffs runs in playoffs history > zero cups and zero of the greatest playoffs runs in playoffs history
Silly, McDavid had 3 less points in a full round less (plus got swept in the Conference Final, if that even went 6 games he blows by Malkin’s 36 pts)

Reactions: dukeofjive

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Silly, McDavid had 3 less points in a full round less (plus got swept in the Conference Final, if that even went 6 games he blows by Malkin’s 36 pts)
Wow what a legendary run Connor had, getting swept in round 3 after dominating mighty Los Angeles Kings. Era's matter when you're watching point totals. Malkin was at least 11 points ahead of everyone else but Crosby in 2009. There was 9 guys this year who had max 11 pts point difference from Connor. I'm not saying he wasn't great this year (it was the only time he have been good in playoffs so far btw) but yeah make a poll which playoff run was greater and you will lose by 98% only few certain Oil fan will vote McDavid's run.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Wow what a legendary run Connor had, getting swept in round 3 after dominating mighty Los Angeles Kings. Era's matter when you're watching point totals. Malkin was at least 11 points ahead of everyone else but Crosby in 2009. There was 9 guys this year who had max 11 pts point difference from Connor. I'm not saying he wasn't great this year (it was the only time he have been good in playoffs so far btw) but yeah make a poll which playoff run was greater and you will lose by 98% only few certain Oil fan will vote McDavid's run.
Just not a serious take at all
You think one playoff run of 3 more points makes up for the massive difference in individual success?

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Not quite. McDavid’s team has never made it out of the 3rd round. Malkin has 3 cups and another finals appearance and a Conn Smythe.

People love to downplay playoffs success but half a player’s legacy rests on that.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Eras matter but so do games played. Comparing straight totals is pretty flawed when one player played an extra round. McDavid’s points per game was a bit better relative to the other top scorers, but also in a smaller sample. There really isn’t a lot separating the runs

crosby87

Oct 15, 2017
Eras matter but so do games played. Comparing straight totals is pretty flawed when one player played an extra round. McDavid’s points per game was a bit better relative to the other top scorers, but also in a smaller sample. There really isn’t a lot separating the runs
drai had 1 less point with 1 less leg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad