Has McDavid Surpassed Malkin's Career Yet?

Better career?

• Total voters

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
What do you think? Malkin obviously started his career much earlier, but he's also had his career significantly impacted by injuries. There is talk in the History of Hockey Forum about whether McDavid should be ranked higher than Geno.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Malkin (16 seasons)

- 2 Art Ross​
- 1 Hart​
- 1 Pearson/Lindsay​
- 1 Conn Smythe​
- 3 Cups​
- 3 1AST as Centre​
- Top 10 Points finishes (1, 1, 2, 4, 6)​
- Top 10 Goal finishes (2, 4, 4, 5)​
- Top 10 Assist finishes (1, 3, 6, 6, 10)​
McDavid (7 seasons)
- 4 Art Ross​
- 2 Hart​
- 3 Pearson/Linday​
- 4 1AST as Centre​
- 1 2AST as Centre​
- Top 10 Points finishes (1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2)​
- Top 10 Goal finishes (2, 6, 6, 10)​
- Top 10 Assist finishes (1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3)​

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
McDavid
4 x Art Ross
3 x Ted Lindsay
2 x Hart
697 points in 487 games

Malkin
3 cups
2 x Art Ross
1 x Conn Smythe
1 x Ted Lindsay
1 x Hart
1 x Calder
1146 points in 981 games

I'm going to say it's extremely close but McDavid ≥ Malkin...depends on how much you value cups vs individual trophies

Malkin (16 seasons)

- 2 Art Ross​
- 1 Hart​
- 1 Pearson/Lindsay​
- 1 Conn Smythe​
- 3 Cups​
- 3 1AST as Centre​
- Top 10 Points finishes (1, 1, 2, 4, 6)​
- Top 10 Goal finishes (2, 4, 4, 5)​
- Top 10 Assist finishes (1, 3, 6, 6, 10)​
McDavid (7 seasons)
- 4 Art Ross​
- 2 Hart​
- 3 Pearson/Linday​
- 4 1AST as Centre​
- 1 2AST as Centre​
- Top 10 Points finishes (1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2)​
- Top 10 Goal finishes (2, 6, 6, 10)​
- Top 10 Assist finishes (1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3)​

Thanks, you did a much better job than me. Where do you dig up the info on top 10 finishes so quickly?

Reactions: Steven Toast

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
It's McDavid. Malkin has 2 art rosses like Crosby but doesn't have the rockets like he does.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Still voted Malkin. Mcdavid is clearly the superior player, but Malkin has twice the games played counting playoffs. It sucks that he's unreliable, but still the pure amount of elite hockey is clearly of larger volume.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Malkin, but it will be McDavid after another good season

Also a fairer assessment would be:
1a/1a- Crosby / McDavid
1b/1b- Malkin / Draisaitl

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Malkin 3 cups and a smythe does it but mcdavid will pass him, probably ends up with 2-3 more rosses and passes him without a cup if he wins the cup and smythe its mcdavid ainec but rn to close edge malkin

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Absolutely not, McDavid got weaker competition for the Ross(only year Kucherov was healthy he lost it) in addition to having lesser playoff success and way less games played. On a per game basis they are pretty close and it's likely McDavid will pass Malkin in time since the latter hasn't exactly been durable over his career.

Reactions: banks and sanscosm

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Fedorov vs Bure vs Malkin would be a better comparison.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yes McDavid already has. I have Malkin at 21 all time for centres and McDavid at 15.

McDavid has already greatly surpassed him for seasons in the top 3 for scoring and is 4 to 2 for Art Rosses.

Malkin was a playoff beast, but the gap is closing.

Reactions: wetcoast

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Absolutely not, McDavid got weaker competition for the Ross(only year Kucherov was healthy he lost it) in addition to having lesser playoff success and way less games played. On a per game basis they are pretty close and it's likely McDavid will pass Malkin in time since the latter hasn't exactly been durable over his career.
Nah, McDavid's competition has been higher by adjusted points. Let's eliminate the outlier seasons by Kucherov and Draisaitl (128 points, 127 point pace) and McDavid has six straigth Rosses. Malkin was getting outproduced by a 40 year old Teemu Selane in his prime.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

My post isn’t going to sound like it, but I’m a lover of Malkin. Truly one of my favorites, when healthy, during this century.

But the bolded part is true only on the surface level. Malkin had Crosby and Ovechkin to contend with, but not much of it came to fruition, since he couldn’t stay on the ice.

It sounds good to say that Malkin has less hardware because he was going up against Crosby and Ovechkin, but anyone unbiased would look at reality and see that them being in the league didn’t affect him too much in regards to winning the Ross and other awards.

2007-2008

He finishes 2nd to Ovechkin in scoring. Crosby misses 29 games. In a vacuum where having players not exist doesn’t change a thing about everything else, no Ovechkin gives Malkin the win.

2008-2009

He wins the Art Ross over Ovechkin and Crosby. Cheers.

2011-2012

He wins the Art Ross. Crosby misses 60 games. Ovechkin has the worst season of his career and is nowhere in the realm of contending for awards.

No Crosby and Ovechkin gives him an extra Art Ross because he misses a ton of time and there’s no other example where those two being around directly affects him negatively.

In the dream world (which is what I wished happened), all three are completely healthy and don’t fall off and they’re the only players to win the Hart/Lindsay/Art Ross for 10-12 years straight until they’re 30, and/or McDavid arrives on the scene.

The reality is that Malkin’s career isn’t remotely full of getting screwed due to playing in a league with Crosby and Ovechkin, and to go further, he directly benefits by having Crosby around to be the leader of that team (a role he has no interest in serving).

Reactions: banks

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
My post isn’t going to sound like it, but I’m a lover of Malkin. Truly one of my favorites, when healthy, during this century.

But the bolded part is true only on the surface level. Malkin had Crosby and Ovechkin to contend with, but not much of it came to fruition, since he couldn’t stay on the ice.

It sounds good to say that Malkin has less hardware because he was going up against Crosby and Ovechkin, but anyone unbiased would look at reality and see that them being in the league didn’t affect him too much in regards to winning the Ross and other awards.

2007-2008

He finishes 2nd to Ovechkin in scoring. Crosby misses 29 games. In a vacuum where having players not exist doesn’t change a thing about everything else, no Ovechkin gives Malkin the win.

2008-2009

He wins the Art Ross over Ovechkin and Crosby. Cheers.

2011-2012

He wins the Art Ross. Crosby misses 60 games. Ovechkin has the worst season of his career and is nowhere in the realm of contending for awards.

No Crosby and Ovechkin gives him an extra Art Ross because he misses a ton of time and there’s no other example where those two being around directly affects him negatively.

In the dream world (which is what I wished happened), all three are completely healthy and don’t fall off and they’re the only players to win the Hart/Lindsay/Art Ross for 10-12 years straight until they’re 30, and/or McDavid arrives on the scene.

The reality is that Malkin’s career isn’t remotely full of getting screwed due to playing in a league with Crosby and Ovechkin, and to go further, he directly benefits by having Crosby around to be the leader of that team (a role he has no interest in serving).

Thing is I really don't care about if McDavid won more Ross or not when they are all close(except in a season where he faced same handful of teams over and over again) per game they, McDavid and Malkin, are about even just Malkin have a full(albeit injury riddled) career while McDavid don't, maybe he got slightly better regular season resumé already but lesser playoff career even if he had a great showing this year obviously, if he keeps it up for a couple of more playoffs I would probably have him firmly ahead.

It's the same reasoning that I don't rank LaFleur over Crosby or something like that despite the former having higher finishes in the regular season.

Sure Malkin benefited from Crosby but McDavid plays with another point machine for the most time, It's certainly close and honestly I don't care if someone rank McDavid ahead already but I just don't see it that way

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
It's McDavid. Malkin has 2 art rosses like Crosby but doesn't have the rockets like he does.
In terms of McDavid already passing Malkin but not Crosby in a career that's been half as long as both of them, I'd say its mostly due to Crosby's superior consistency over Malkin. McDavid has passed both of them peak wise, but Crosby's great prime as well as longevity still rank him above McDavid all time as of now. Malkin, meanwhile, has missed a lot of time, so I think McDavid's superior peak is enough to surpass Malkin by now.

Vakarte

May 30, 2022
Why is this a discussion? The answer is yes and don't bring up rings as to why Malkin is somewhat ahead.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
In terms of McDavid already passing Malkin but not Crosby in a career that's been half as long as both of them, I'd say its mostly due to Crosby's superior consistency over Malkin. McDavid has passed both of them peak wise, but Crosby's great prime as well as longevity still rank him above McDavid all time as of now. Malkin, meanwhile, has missed a lot of time, so I think McDavid's superior peak is enough to surpass Malkin by now.
How has Mcdavid surpassed Crosby? Crosby has been just as dominant offensively and hes shown he could win in his 4th season. Mcdavid hasnt surpassed Crosby, hes barely surpassing peak Kane right now. Its a ridiculous notion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad