HarborCenter OHL Showcase - Sept 1-3 - HarborCenter - Buffalo, NY.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

The Ontario Hockey League today announced the exhibition game schedule for the 2017-2018 season.

The schedule includes 45 games from Friday, September 1 through Sunday, September 17 and also features a six-team Pre-Season Showcase in partnership with Buffalo’s HarborCenter.

The HarborCenter OHL Showcase features the host Erie Otters along with the Flint Firebirds, Kitchener Rangers, North Bay Battalion, Peterborough Petes, and Windsor Spitfires each playing three games from September 1-3 to help open the exhibition season. The HarborCenter has been the three-year host of the NHL Scouting Combine and will also host the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championship.

The showcase schedule at HarborCenter will also coincide with an elite eight-team U15 AAA Invitational Tournament featuring the Buffalo Jr. Sabres and some of the best competition from across North America giving hockey fans the opportunity to see the next wave of OHL Priority Selection talent.

OHL Showcase at Buffalo's HarborCenter Game Schedule -

Friday, September 1 - 12:30 pm ET - Flint vs Windsor - 4:00 pm ET - Kitchener vs North Bay - 7:30 pm ET - Erie vs Peterborough.
Saturday, September 2 - 12:30 pm ET - North Bay vs Windsor - 4:00 pm ET - Peterborough vs Kitchener - 7:30 pm ET - Erie vs Flint.
Sunday, September 3 - 12:30 pm ET - Flint vs North Bay - 4:00 pm ET - Windsor vs Peterborough - 7:30 pm ET - Kitchener vs Erie.

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/article/2017-ohl-exhibition-and-pre-season-showcase-schedule

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

The HarborCenter OHL Showcase features the host Erie Otters along with the Flint Firebirds, North Bay Battalion, Peterborough Petes, Windsor Spitfires and Rangers.
The HarborCenter arena has been the three-year host of the NHL Scouting Combine and will also host the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championship.

Friday, September 1 - HarborCenter OHL Showcase - Buffalo, NY - vs North Bay Battalion - 4:00 pm ET.
Saturday, September 2 - HarborCenter OHL Showcase - Buffalo, NY - vs Peterborough Petes - 4:00 pm ET.
Sunday, September 3 - HarborCenter OHL Showcase - Buffalo, NY - vs Erie Otters - 7:30 pm ET.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Personally, I really don't like this!
Maybe it's just me but I enjoy seeing the recent draft picks in exhibition games.
This rates with the Bills in Toronto scam.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
It is too bad that the Harbor Center isn't a bit bigger. I think that Buffalo or the Buffalo area could be a future OHL site. If the branding were done correctly, they could do well. The Buffalo fans are hockey starved to say the least. Even though Niagara is closer than Erie, we get quite a few Buffalo fans down to see the Otters. The reasons vary from passports to the Peace Bridge to no sales tax in PA on clothes. It may be that Erie is trying to drum up a little more interest in the Otters.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
It is too bad that the Harbor Center isn't a bit bigger. I think that Buffalo or the Buffalo area could be a future OHL site. If the branding were done correctly, they could do well. The Buffalo fans are hockey starved to say the least. Even though Niagara is closer than Erie, we get quite a few Buffalo fans down to see the Otters. The reasons vary from passports to the Peace Bridge to no sales tax in PA on clothes. It may be that Erie is trying to drum up a little more interest in the Otters.

If Buffalo gets a team I could see it being Erie or Flint.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Not likely. Check hockeydb for last season's average attendance. Erie was 6th with 4,301. Flint had 2,951 in a small arena. NB had 2,601, the Petes averaged 2,666 and Missy had 2,720. I would see Missy going before anyone.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
I see this showcase as a warning to both Hamilton and Mississauga to get their lease and/or arena issues fixed, or one of them will end up in Buffalo, as David Branch has made indications previously of wanting an OHL team in Buffalo.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I see this showcase as a warning to both Hamilton and Mississauga to get their lease and/or arena issues fixed, or one of them will end up in Buffalo, as David Branch has made indications previously of wanting an OHL team in Buffalo.

My guess is Miss end ups in Cornwall or Watertown and Hamilton ends up in Buffalo.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015

I thought the same thing as soon as the seating capacity was announced as I had hoped it could become a home for the OHL or at least NAHL. I don't know if it could be retrofitted or expanded for additional seating. That said, given the success of shared spaces in Alberta, it might be possible for a team to co-exist in the KeyBank Arena, assuming mutual ownership under the Sabres.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The chances of an OHL team in Watertown are absolutely zero. You can't just name places and think they'd make good OHL destinations.

In fact its far higher then many think as for just naming fact is some are interested in building a 5000 seat arena in the area.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
In fact its far higher then many think as for just naming fact is some are interested in building a 5000 seat arena in the area.

Can you name any source for such a proposal? This post seems to be the only indication of the idea anywhere in existence.

Even if it has been considered, I absolutely cannot imagine it would ever happen. The 'arena' that Watertown has now just underwent extensive renovations that were highly controversial at the time because of its expense. The price tag was just over $10 million, which would be a fraction of the cost for a brand new 5,000 seat arena. Mind you, this is a facility that even after upgrades seats under 2,000 and they don't fill that for their FHL team. Of course this isn't that surprising for a town of a mere 27,000 making it very unlikely to have the population base needed for an OHL team. I mean the city couldn't even find a business willing to buy the naming rights to the place. So yes, the idea of the OHL in Watertown is laughable.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Mississauga to Buffalo does make some sense - they could still play in the Eastern conference - In all likely hood they would draw more interest. Branch is smart to test the waters first, although preseason is not the best draw.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Can you name any source for such a proposal? This post seems to be the only indication of the idea anywhere in existence.

Even if it has been considered, I absolutely cannot imagine it would ever happen. The 'arena' that Watertown has now just underwent extensive renovations that were highly controversial at the time because of its expense. The price tag was just over $10 million, which would be a fraction of the cost for a brand new 5,000 seat arena. Mind you, this is a facility that even after upgrades seats under 2,000 and they don't fill that for their FHL team. Of course this isn't that surprising for a town of a mere 27,000 making it very unlikely to have the population base needed for an OHL team. I mean the city couldn't even find a business willing to buy the naming rights to the place. So yes, the idea of the OHL in Watertown is laughable.

IF someone with VERY deep pockets willing to throw money into the breeze, it will happen. In other words, it won't. Unfortunately the area is way less than ideal for an OHL team. They would be further ahead looking towards Syracuse, but anyone traveling there would have to deal with I-81 or I-90, terrible traveling during winter weather, unpredictable & potential for more postponed games.

The Watertown area needs to focus on promoting snowmobiling, that is their winter honey pot.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Personally, I really don't like this!
Maybe it's just me but I enjoy seeing the recent draft picks in exhibition games.
This rates with the Bills in Toronto scam.

Agree. I like to see the recent draft picks too. For me it's an important part of the season. By the time the Sept 16 ex-game rolls around there will have been a ton of cuts.

IMO, this is a disservice to the fans.

nnynetpotato

Sep 9, 2008
IF someone with VERY deep pockets willing to throw money into the breeze, it will happen. In other words, it won't. Unfortunately the area is way less than ideal for an OHL team. They would be further ahead looking towards Syracuse, but anyone traveling there would have to deal with I-81 or I-90, terrible traveling during winter weather, unpredictable & potential for more postponed games.

The Watertown area needs to focus on promoting snowmobiling, that is their winter honey pot.

Nope,that's more Lewis County to the South and the Adirondacks to the northeast.
Watertown 's winter draw is the only functional mall between Syracuse and Plattsburgh.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Hockey season is right around the corner and you won’t want to miss your first look at the Erie Otters in preseason OHL action! For the first time ever, the Ontario Hockey League and the Erie Otters are teaming up with the HARBORCENTER in Buffalo, New York to host a preseason showcase, featuring the Otters and five other OHL teams. Erie will be joined by the Flint Firebirds, Kitchener Rangers, North Bay Battalion, Peterborough Petes, and Windsor Spitfires for a weekend of hockey Friday, September 1st to Sunday, September 3rd. Tickets are $20 for each day of games, featuring three OHL match ups every day. Fans can also purchase a weekend pass for $40 that is good to ALL nine games over the course of the weekend.

OHL Showcase at Buffalo's HarborCenter Game Schedule -

Friday, September 1 - 12:30 pm ET - Flint vs Windsor - 4:00 pm ET - Kitchener vs North Bay - 7:30 pm ET - Erie vs Peterborough.
Saturday, September 2 - 12:30 pm ET - North Bay vs Windsor - 4:00 pm ET - Peterborough vs Kitchener - 7:30 pm ET - Erie vs Flint.
Sunday, September 3 - 12:30 pm ET - Flint vs North Bay - 4:00 pm ET - Windsor vs Peterborough - 7:30 pm ET - Kitchener vs Erie.

http://ottershockey.com/article/ohl-preseason-showcase?platform=hootsuite

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Future NHL players will inhabit HarborCenter this weekend. No one is looking forward to it more than a couple of former Sabres.
Jay McKee and Matthew Barnaby will be back in Buffalo as their Kitchener Rangers participate in the HarborCenter OHL Showcase.

Six Ontario Hockey League teams will start their exhibition schedule Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
The Erie Otters, Flint Firebirds, North Bay Battalion, Peterborough Petes and Windsor Spitfires will join the Rangers in Buffalo.

Barnaby is back as one of McKee's assistant coaches. They were teammates with the Sabres in the late 1990s.
McKee played defense in Buffalo from 1996 to 2006, while Barnaby was a feisty forward from 1993 to 1999.

In addition to McKee and Barnaby, Kitchener boasts another local product. Forward Dylan Seitz of Eden is starting his second season with the Rangers.
The 18-year-old totaled eight goals and 19 points in 65 games last year. "Dylan Seitz will be playing at least two of the games," McKee said.
"We've got three games, and we're trying to spread out some ice time and involve everybody."

Kitchener went 36-27-5 last year and lost in the first round of the playoffs.
Erie and Peterborough won their respective conferences, while Flint and Windsor also made the postseason.
The showcase will put them all on their way to the 2017-2018 season.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Preview - OHL Showcase At The HarborCenter - Kevin Snow - SabresProspects.com - August 31, 2017.

The Ontario Hockey League exhibition schedule kicks off this weekend, and the first games on the docket will be part of the HarborCenter OHL Showcase in downtown Buffalo.

The six-team event gets underway Friday afternoon, and features the defending Memorial Cup champion Windsor Spitfires, along with the Erie Otters, winners of the OHL Championship last season. Joining them in the Showcase are the Flint Firebirds, Kitchener Rangers, North Bay Battalion and Peterborough Petes.

Each team will play three games over the weekend, with all games taking place on HarborCenter’s main KeyBank Rink. The OHL’s 2017-2018 regular season schedule starts on Thursday, September 21.

Although there aren’t any Sabres prospects on the rosters of the six teams, fans should expect to see some high-octane competition over the three days. With OHL training camps opening earlier this week, this will be the first opportunity for many of the younger players to make an impression on their coaches. The games will also serve as a tune-up for the drafted players heading to NHL camps over the next week, including the Prospects Challenge that runs from September 8-11 on the same HarborCenter ice.

Let’s take a look at the six teams involved, including some Buffalo connections within a few organizations.

Rest Of The Preview - http://www.sabresprospects.com/2017/08/harborcenter-to-host-ohl-showcase.html

H0CKEY17

Sep 1, 2017
The stands looked empty... are they expecting a better turn out for the weekend games???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad