Weekes: Hanifin to sign extension around 8 years, $7M AAV?

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Tampa and Florida seem like weird fits cap wise
If he really wants to be on the east coast

Jersey
Boston
Toronto

Are the only ones who can really fit him. All pretty high taxes and colder though. It would be surprising if he didn’t go to Boston
Yes on colder but that's where home is. Taxes for sure, but it's only home games he gets axed like that. Away games are taxed in the state they play in. Still FL vs NJ for 41 is a diff for sure. Is a good fit as we need a top d man while the youngsters grow. They need 2 more seasons imo

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yes on colder but that's where home is. Taxes for sure, but it's only home games he gets axed like that. Away games are taxed in the state they play in. Still FL vs NJ for 41 is a diff for sure. Is a good fit as we need a top d man while the youngsters grow. They need 2 more seasons imo

I think jersey makes the most sense. They just didn’t come up. He probably signs in Vegas. Get the extra year and once you are getting on a plane to Tampa. What’s the difference? An hour

1.) Boston. Hometown kid. Has lots of money. To spend. I guess the only issue is they need centers not more D?

2.) jersey. Would be a perfect fit. Lots of money.

Hanafin. Hamilton
Seigen. Marino
Hughes. Nemec?

That looks pretty good. They can afford it.

3.) Toronto. Familiar with Tre. Need D but probably rs. Unlikely if he wants to go to states. I think if he would have extended they would have traded for him.

The Florida teams make no sense cap wise.
Panthers have no money need to sign reinhart Lindell. Maybe Montour?

Tampa has like 10 mill in space

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He's not a great fit here, but where there is smoke there is fire.

Would totally depend on how much Hanifin would want to sign for. Truth is Sergachev's primary attribute that he brings to the table is his offense, but Hedman is still the preferred D on the PP and will continue to be for some time.

We have had no problem scoring goals, we need defensemen that can help us keep the puck out of the net. I'm also not saying we have to trade Sergachev, but that is an option. We could also lowball Stamkos or cut bait on some other player.
Hanifin is not going to hurt you defensively. He is very solid.

But if you think you are getting a shut down dman, you are in for disappointment

Reactions: tmurfin

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Hanifin is not going to hurt you defensively. He is very solid.

But if you think you are getting a shut down dman, you are in for disappointment

Not expecting Pronger, I've seen the comparisons to Bouwmeester, that is all we are looking for.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think jersey makes the most sense. They just didn’t come up. He probably signs in Vegas. Get the extra year and once you are getting on a plane to Tampa. What’s the difference? An hour

1.) Boston. Hometown kid. Has lots of money. To spend. I guess the only issue is they need centers not more D?

Hanafin. Hamilton
Seigen. Marino
Hughes. Nemec?

3.) Toronto. Familiar with Tre. Need D but probably rs. Unlikely if he wants to go to states. I think if he would have extended they would have traded for him.

Hanafin. Hamilton
Seigen. Marino
Hughes. Nemec?

With Gryz, McAvoy’s partner, a UFA and Forbort, their 3LD, both UFAs this year, I think you are underselling Boston’s need for an LD. They have Lindholm, Lorhei and Wotherspoon as LD signed beyond this year and no other players in the AHL or the prospect pool even worth mentioning.

They need a LD and a play driving first line forward, preferably that will slide Zacha back to wing. They have cap space and Ullmark to try to make it happen and them not being able to pull off both fixes in one offseason is certainly a possibility. If they can fix one with Hanifin, they do it.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
With Gryz, McAvoy’s partner, a UFA and Forbort, their 3LD, both UFAs this year, I think you are underselling Boston’s need for an LD. They have Lindholm, Lorhei and Wotherspoon as LD signed beyond this year and no other players in the AHL or the prospect pool even worth mentioning.

They need a LD and a play driving first line forward, preferably that will slide Zacha back to wing. They have cap space and Ullmark to try to make it happen and them not being able to pull off both fixes in one offseason is certainly a possibility. If they can fix one with Hanifin, they do it.

Sure you could be right. That’s why I put them at 1. It just seems that

Lindholm. Mac
Hanafin. Forbort

When you have Zachary/could as your 1/2 may mean they want a different direction. They may be able to afford hanafin and lindholm though?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Lindholm. Mac
Hanafin. Forbort

When you have Zachary/could as your 1/2 may mean they want a different direction. They may be able to afford hanafin and lindholm though?

By my math they could afford Hanifin and Lindholm in UFA if they let DeBrusk walk and move Ullmark. Or maybe there was something to an Ullmark for PLD base.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
That is what happens when you have a ntc and there were rumors that he is Tampa bound in the offseason.

I don’t understand how that kneecapped the Flames the way it did - surely at that point you open up the bidding to all 16 playoff teams and see who needs rental help.

These franchises aren’t all cup or bust - nobody thought adding Noah Hanifin might help them win a round or two?

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don’t understand how that kneecapped the Flames the way it did - surely at that point you open up the bidding to all 16 playoff teams and see who needs rental help.

These franchises aren’t all cup or bust - nobody thought adding Noah Hanifin might help them win a round or two?
From the talk after the trade, that’s what happened I thought? Tampa thought they had him in the bag, Conroy opened the floor to other suitors and Vegas offered the best package.

Personally, I thought it wasn’t enough. But I gotta be honest, Hanifin is not a game breaking player. He’s a secondary asset at best and I think most pro scouts know it. That plus the fact he was almost guaranteed to test the market, it starts to make sense.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
The Bouwmeester comparisons come up a lot and I would disagree. Bouwmeester was better defensively. Only way to describe Hanifin is someone's who great at a lot of things, but elite at nothing except skating.

This current contract year aside, he's generally been a solid #2/#3 during the regular season and a huge disappointment in the playoffs.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008

Lindholm. Mac
Hanafin. Forbort

I’d consider signing Hanifin and trading Lindholm/Ullmark for a #1 Center. Would still have some cap space.

Dream gets
1. Eichel
2. Draisaitl
3. Thompson

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
I think this gets done with Vegas to be honest.
The local *rumor* is that Hanifin's agent has already worked out an agreement for him to sign with TB, so he's just a pure rental. However, since the Knights are unlikely to re-sign Martinez, they might make a run at him depending on how the playoffs go and of course whether Hanifin himself wants to stay. Currently, he's staying in a hotel by the Vegas practice facility (know this because he did a Zoom interview from there recently), which doesn't exactly sound like he's putting down deep roots just yet. There are also *rumors* that he and Eichel are close, but if that were true I would expect him to stay at Eichel's house, so I'm going to discount that one.

Please consult your OUIJA board for more updated information.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad