Proposal: Hanifin to Buffalo

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I just wish there was a rhd available that fits our needs we have the futures if any team decides scorched earth is good at least... but the available pieces this year are slim so it's a seller's market right now don't want to overpay due to deadline tax.

I'm less attached to the handedness at this point than in finding another good defenseman and rolling with Dahlin on the right side all the time and perhaps Power or RJohnson there too.

Maybe someone pops free like Hronek did last year, seemingly out of the blue. In the meantime, waiting to find a perfect fit seems like it's going to be a long time coming. Pesce already turned them down over the summer. It wouldn't be ideal, but what is in this sport?

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I'm less attached to the handedness at this point than in finding another good defenseman and rolling with Dahlin on the right side all the time and perhaps Power or RJohnson there too.

Maybe someone pops free like Hronek did last year, seemingly out of the blue. In the meantime, waiting to find a perfect fit seems like it's going to be a long time coming. Pesce already turned them down over the summer. It wouldn't be ideal, but what is in this sport?
Very true at this point we need better players no matter what throughout the line up we need to make a move for anyone but for Hanifin I would rather swap savoie out with this year's first and if that isn't enough throw in Rosen and a one of poltapov or neuchev rather it be neuch

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
To BUF:
Hanifin with 7 yr, 7.5 mil extension

To CGY:
Matthew Savoie
2024 2nd (BUF)
Henri Jokiharhu

Of course dependent on if Hanifin will extend in Buffalo. I know Buffalo fans will say they need an RD instead of LD, but I don’t see any comparable RD to Hanifin and I think you need a 2/3 D asap to help your young D and not ruin Power’s development. And I know flames fans will want a 1st, but I don’t see it happening if we get a quality prospect like Savoie. Feels like a win-win.

I think it's a perfectly fair valuation. As Chain has noted, there is a slight handedness issue given that our top 6 next year would contain 5 lefties: Dahlin, Power, RJohnson, Samuelsson and then Hanifin. BUT.......Dahlin, Samuelsson, Power and RJohnson have all shown the ability to swap left/right practically on a whim AND Dahlin is just legit better on the right side.

It's a good way for us to use a superfluous smaller, skilled, likely-wing prospect......one with a ton of upside, mind you.

Yeah, I'd do it.

Good job.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If Coleman was 2 years younger, I'd be very tempted. At his age though, when the fall off comes (and it might be as soon as next season), the risk of him being useful for much longer is a risk that seems uncomfortable from where I sit. Love what he brings, not sure at that term and his age though.
He's having the best season of his career right now. On pace for 30+ goals and 65+ points while being +30 on a bottom feeder. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that people said the same of Backlund and they are very similar players.

Reactions: Chainshot

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Original package and Power for Anderson. Flames get more control years, younger. Sabres have solid top 4 D. I think Sabres fans (other than me) say no, but I think it works for both teams.

Reactions: Beerz

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Original package and Power for Anderson. Flames get more control years, younger. Sabres have solid top 4 D. I think Sabres fans (other than me) say no, but I think it works for both teams.
I'd do that in a heartbeat. Buffalo fans actually think that's fair?

EDIT: How the hell does Owen Power make 8.35M per year?! That makes it a hard pass for me. I wanted to take a flyer on a guy with upside. Not pay 8M+ for a #5 defenseman.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I just wish there was a rhd available that fits our needs we have the futures if any team decides scorched earth is good at least... but the available pieces this year are slim so it's a seller's market right now don't want to overpay due to deadline tax.

Seems like Buffalo can and should wait for the right fit. There isn't a rush this TDL, obviously.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I should add our gm doesn't plan on moving any of his precious collectibles so this is largely a theoretical exercise.

I'd do that in a heartbeat. Buffalo fans actually think that's fair?

EDIT: How the hell does Owen Power make 8.35M per year?! That makes it a hard pass for me. I wanted to take a flyer on a guy with upside. Not pay 8M+ for a #5 defenseman.
Lol. Sticker shock!

• Haha

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I should add our gm doesn't plan on moving any of his precious collectibles so this is largely a theoretical exercise.

Lol. Sticker shock!
It's a tough situation. His collectibles have value and he doesn't want to look stupid. But they also need some two way vets in the worst way. Guys like the Flames have. The Flames have quality 2 way players a plenty, but no talent.

Seems like Buffalo can and should wait for the right fit. There isn't a rush this TDL, obviously.
I think they should do most of their work at the draft. They just can't walk up to the podium and make more picks. Maybe they can snag a guy or 2 from cap strapped teams on the cheap.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
How much longer can they wait for the right fit? What if it's 2 years away? I don't think Sabres management can wait that long when guys like Power and Dahlin are in their prime development years. Not to say they have to make this deal right this second, and I get the hesitation, but I don't buy this whole "can and should wait" mindset. To me the Sabres need to act soon to prevent this core going sour as it did a few years back with Eichel/Hall/Reinhart/Kane/etc.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
How much longer can they wait for the right fit? What if it's 2 years away? I don't think Sabres management can wait that long when guys like Power and Dahlin are in their prime development years. Not to say they have to make this deal right this second, and I get the hesitation, but I don't buy this whole "can and should wait" mindset. To me the Sabres need to act soon to prevent this core going sour as it did a few years back with Eichel/Hall/Reinhart/Kane/etc.
Dahlin is still 23 yo and Power 20 so they are not the issue. But they will compete to fill the same role. Waiting to the offseason takes Hanifin out of play so the opportunity is for a trade and sign. If he is bent on UFA then there is no deal to be had anyway.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Hahaha. You and 25 other GM's. I see what you mean though, it's just the reality of the league right now that top-4 RHD that are in their mid-twenties are rarely rarely moved. It happens, but not often.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
To BUF:
Hanifin with 7 yr, 7.5 mil extension

To CGY:
Matthew Savoie
2024 2nd (BUF)
Henri Jokiharhu

Of course dependent on if Hanifin will extend in Buffalo. I know Buffalo fans will say they need an RD instead of LD, but I don’t see any comparable RD to Hanifin and I think you need a 2/3 D asap to help your young D and not ruin Power’s development. And I know flames fans will want a 1st, but I don’t see it happening if we get a quality prospect like Savoie. Feels like a win-win.
Buffalo does not need another LD. That before you factor in cap

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Dahlin is still 23 yo and Power 20 so they are not the issue. But they will compete to fill the same role. Waiting to the offseason takes Hanifin out of play so the opportunity is for a trade and sign. If he is bent on UFA then there is no deal to be had anyway.
Oh ya I definitely don't think they are the issue. And I get waiting til the offseason too, I just don't think there will be many (any) options better than Hanifin. Maybe you get an older, worse RHD, but to me that is less ideal than a wrong-handed #2 LHD.

I'm a big Sabres fan (second to Flames fan), and I really think the team is a few additions away from legit playoff status. Dahlin and Power are just scratching the surface. But the time is now to surround them with the right linemates/ d-partners to help them reach that next level and learn to play the right way from other legit top-4 Dman. Not wait another 2 years because the ideal fit hasn't shown up at Kevyn Adams' door (cause that never happens).

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Buffalo does not need another LD. That before you factor in cap
Hahah, I was waiting for you to come and say this and disregard the other 30ish posts discussing the handedness issue. I know you feel that handedness is enough of a factor to hold off on necessary improvements, but I disagree. Genuine question: how much longer are you willing to wait for the right RHD? Until next year? 2 years? What if you miss playoffs again next year? As a secondary Sabres fan, I want it sooner than later becaues handedness is so overrated. Get the best player every time. That's why Tampa was able to build the best/2nd best D core of the past 10 years

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Ideally ya you acquire an RHD, but there is literally nobody comparable to Hanifin on the market that could be had for this type of package. Unless you guys are holding out hope for Pesce, but his next contract scares me and I think he’ll have like 15 other offers too. Besides that I think you guys will be forced to go bargain bin shopping like you did with Clifton and imo that just isn’t even close to as good as Hanifin. I think you gotta sacrifice handedness to find the right fit (no pun intended). Just my two cents though cause I understand you’re hesitant. Just eventually push must come to shove

If Buffalo is giving up that it would be for a RD who is 25 or younger.

clifton is fine as a bottom pair Dman

I agree and was thinking about making a larger deal, but noticed Buffalo would have some cap issues so I opted to keep it simple. Was debating a crazy package including Coleman and Skinner and some other pieces to balance it out but that’s too crazy imo
Skinner has a NMC and Coleman has negative value.
Power was 20 at the start of camp, Dahlin was 23 at the start of camp.

Buffalo has at D right now (age at start of 24/25 season)

Samuelsson (24)-Dahlhn (24)
Power(21)-Jokiharju(25) RFA
Ryan Johnson(23)-Clifton(29)

Jokiharju is a RFA this summer, UFA in 2025. They could resign him or trade him. or sign him to a multiyear then trade him later.

Im fine trading for a player---but it is for the right player.

Hanifin is 28 at the start of next year. I have no interest in giving a contract past 33

andersson I view as a bridge player to youth. I understnd Calgary has little RD depth so they wouldnt move him. I am using him as an example.

There are other RD out there who fit the age/experience who are solid RD but who have term and it does not take them till they are 34 or older.

Sure Id be fine signing Hanifin to a 4-5 yr contract extension then trade Power for a solid RD

Hahah, I was waiting for you to come and say this and disregard the other 30ish posts discussing the handedness issue. I know you feel that handedness is enough of a factor to hold off on necessary improvements, but I disagree. Genuine question: how much longer are you willing to wait for the right RHD? Until next year? 2 years? What if you miss playoffs again next year? As a secondary Sabres fan, I want it sooner than later becaues handedness is so overrated. Get the best player every time. That's why Tampa was able to build the best/2nd best D core of the past 10 years

Im not selling the farm on a short term fix who is negative anchor at the end of their term.

Many D cant play opposite side.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I find it amazing that people are describing Owen Power as #5 because he's had some brain farts and has gotten physically overpowered at times as a defenceman who just turned 21, some 120 games into his pro career.

He's clearly better than a #5 now, and there aren't even 10 defencemen his age playing regularly in the league. Hell, Hughes, Faber, Korchinski, Guhle and Sanderson are the only ones getting anywhere close to his level of responsibility. He gets big minutes in all situations against all levels of opponents and has been a plus (counting and analytically) throughout his career, even on a mediocre team.

Kid's still a baby learning how to be a man, but he's a stud in the making.

The shortsightedness of some posters is scary. Ask yourself what Adam Fox and Viktor Hedman were doing 2 months after their 21st birthdays.

Sabres fans need to look no further than Dahlin.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I find it amazing that people are describing Owen Power as #5 because he's had some brain farts and has gotten physically overpowered at times as a defenceman who just turned 21, some 120 games into his pro career.

He's clearly better than a #5 now, and there aren't even 10 defencemen his age playing regularly in the league. Hell, Hughes, Faber, Korchinski, Guhle and Sanderson are the only ones getting anywhere close to his level of responsibility. He gets big minutes in all situations against all levels of opponents and has been a plus (counting and analytically) throughout his career, even on a mediocre team.

Kid's still a baby learning how to be a man, but he's a stud in the making.

The shortsightedness of some posters is scary. Ask yourself what Adam Fox and Viktor Hedman were doing 2 months after their 21st birthdays.

Sabres fans need to look no further than Dahlin.

The vast majority of Sabres fans always understood that Dahlin was special and was being killed by Ralph Kreuger's coaching. It was overwhelmingly people who didn't know what they were talking about shitting on him. Power doesn't have Dahlin's all-around toolset or ceiling, but you're definitely right that people are way too quick to jump to final judgment about a kid who has a lot of talent and has put it to good use in the NHL for a defenseman his age.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think the trade is fair but it sets us up in a sub-optimal way long term.

I would have to take a swing at Andersson and it would probably get turned down. If not, we can ignore d for 7-8 years...

Savoie
Kulich
1st
2nd
Jokiharju
Lindgren

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think the trade is fair but it sets us up in a sub-optimal way long term.

I would have to take a swing at Andersson and it would probably get turned down. If not, we can ignore d for 7-8 years...

Savoie
Kulich
1st
2nd
Jokiharju
Lindgren
I'd do that in a second. Big Kulich fan. That's a lot to pay, even for a #2 D on a sweetheart deal.

The vast majority of Sabres fans always understood that Dahlin was special and was being killed by Ralph Kreuger's coaching. It was overwhelmingly people who didn't know what they were talking about shitting on him. Power doesn't have Dahlin's all-around toolset or ceiling, but you're definitely right that people are way too quick to jump to final judgment about a kid who has a lot of talent and has put it to good use in the NHL for a defenseman his age.
The contract is the problem, not the player. WHY ARE THEY PAYING HIM 8.35M? That takes away any upside and gives you only downside.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If Hanifin would accept a sign and trade like this why not just sign him as a FA?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad