RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
To BUF:
Hanifin with 7 yr, 7.5 mil extension

To CGY:
Matthew Savoie
2024 2nd (BUF)
Henri Jokiharhu

Of course dependent on if Hanifin will extend in Buffalo. I know Buffalo fans will say they need an RD instead of LD, but I don’t see any comparable RD to Hanifin and I think you need a 2/3 D asap to help your young D and not ruin Power’s development. And I know flames fans will want a 1st, but I don’t see it happening if we get a quality prospect like Savoie. Feels like a win-win.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
To BUF:

To CGY:
Matthew Savoie
2024 2nd (BUF)
Henri Jokiharhu

Of course dependent on if Hanifin will extend in Buffalo. I know Buffalo fans will say they need an RD instead of LD, but I don’t see any comparable RD to Hanifin and I think you need a 2/3 D asap to help your young D and not ruin Power’s development. And I know flames fans will want a 1st, but I don’t see it happening if we get a quality prospect like Savoie. Feels like a win-win.

I kind of like it and I kind of don't like it at the same time. :biglaugh:

So that's probably a solid deal. It would mean Dahlin and Power would both be on their off-hand sides (which for both has had some success). I feel like they could use one more niblet in return though. Or downgrade the pick.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Seems like a very good offer. I’m not sure why Buffalo needs another Ld with dahlin and power though ?

Reactions: Blueston

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Before everyone piles in with the thoughts about Dahlin and Power being left shot - Dahlin's played much of the time on his off-hand side with Samuelsson as the LHD partner and Power has played some as Dahlin's right side partner when they are in some mid or late game situations where they're pressing for a goal. Power hasn't done it as much but Dahlin has and it seems his offensive game comes out more when he's on that side.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Seems like a very good offer. I’m not sure why Buffalo needs another Ld with dahlin and power though ?
And samuelsson and Ryan johnson

Before everyone piles in with the thoughts about Dahlin and Power being left shot - Dahlin's played much of the time on his off-hand side with Samuelsson as the LHD partner and Power has played some as Dahlin's right side partner when they are in some mid or late game situations where they're pressing for a goal. Power hasn't done it as much but Dahlin has and it seems his offensive game comes out more when he's on that side.
Including our only young RHD in the offer compounds the problem.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I'd probably do this deal as a Sabres fan. I'd prefer our target be a RHD, but as you state it's just so rare those guys become available especially ones that are young enough to fit into our core moving forward.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd do this as a Flames fan. I wonder if Buffalo couldn't really use a Coleman type too? I feel like they have plenty of talent, but need some 2 way starch in that lineup. Same deal with Ottawa.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
And samuelsson and Ryan johnson

Including our only young RHD in the offer compounds the problem.
Ideally ya you acquire an RHD, but there is literally nobody comparable to Hanifin on the market that could be had for this type of package. Unless you guys are holding out hope for Pesce, but his next contract scares me and I think he’ll have like 15 other offers too. Besides that I think you guys will be forced to go bargain bin shopping like you did with Clifton and imo that just isn’t even close to as good as Hanifin. I think you gotta sacrifice handedness to find the right fit (no pun intended). Just my two cents though cause I understand you’re hesitant. Just eventually push must come to shove

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I'd do this as a Flames fan. I wonder if Buffalo couldn't really use a Coleman type too? I feel like they have plenty of talent, but need some 2 way starch in that lineup. Same deal with Ottawa.
I agree and was thinking about making a larger deal, but noticed Buffalo would have some cap issues so I opted to keep it simple. Was debating a crazy package including Coleman and Skinner and some other pieces to balance it out but that’s too crazy imo

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

If Coleman was 2 years younger, I'd be very tempted. At his age though, when the fall off comes (and it might be as soon as next season), the risk of him being useful for much longer is a risk that seems uncomfortable from where I sit. Love what he brings, not sure at that term and his age though.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I kind of like it and I kind of don't like it at the same time. :biglaugh:

So that's probably a solid deal. It would mean Dahlin and Power would both be on their off-hand sides (which for both has had some success). I feel like they could use one more niblet in return though. Or downgrade the pick.
I really appreciate this response. This is exactly what I think too. Also can take Jokiharju out and replace him with Clifton or maybe even Jost if that’s more tempting but I feel like Jokijarju’s role would be gone if you add Hanifin:

Samuelsson-Dahlin
Hanifin-Power
Johnson-Clifton

Seems honestly great to me. Huge upgrade from this year and can solidify the second pairing for a decade. Then if you absolutely need an RD you can get a cheaper one and have 3 elite LD like Tampa did for the cup years

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I really appreciate this response. This is exactly what I think too. Also can take Jokiharju out and replace him with Clifton or maybe even Jost if that’s more tempting but I feel like Jokijarju’s role would be gone if you add Hanifin:

Samuelsson-Dahlin
Hanifin-Power
Johnson-Clifton

Seems honestly great to me. Huge upgrade from this year and can solidify the second pairing for a decade. Then if you absolutely need an RD you can get a cheaper one and have 3 elite LD like Tampa did for the cup years

I was thinking more Hanifin-Dahlin and leaving Power-Clifton together for right now since they've been solid for a little bit. RJohnson can also play on the right side and has done so pretty well but as a rookie, the coaching staff have him on a very short leash. If he makes the mistakes that we see out of all of the rest of the defense, he's usually parked on the bench for most of the rest of the night. He's been very good covering for Power as the RD in that pairing too.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
To BUF:

To CGY:
Matthew Savoie
2024 2nd (BUF)
Henri Jokiharhu

I like it, but can I give you Kulich instead?
I agree and was thinking about making a larger deal, but noticed Buffalo would have some cap issues so I opted to keep it simple. Was debating a crazy package including Coleman and Skinner and some other pieces to balance it out but that’s too crazy imo
Nothing is too crazy signed a Sabres fan.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Rather target anderssson

A few thoughts on that - how much more are you willing to part with to make this Andersson rather than Hanifin? Andersson has two more years before he hits UFA and a very low cap hit for what he provides ($4.55M). That he can be a #1 on his own and that he's a rightie AND that he's being paid rock bottom pricing for his contract are all going to push the value in Calgary's favor. So how hard would you press? And then know that a bunch of what Andersson provides for the Flames is already what Dahlin and to a lesser extent Power provide as the PP1 pointman (I know he's not been that as much this year, but the seasons prior, that was where he was involved in about a third of his point production).

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
A few thoughts on that - how much more are you willing to part with to make this Andersson rather than Hanifin? Andersson has two more years before he hits UFA and a very low cap hit for what he provides ($4.55M). That he can be a #1 on his own and that he's a rightie AND that he's being paid rock bottom pricing for his contract are all going to push the value in Calgary's favor. So how hard would you press? And then know that a bunch of what Andersson provides for the Flames is already what Dahlin and to a lesser extent Power provide as the PP1 pointman (I know he's not been that as much this year, but the seasons prior, that was where he was involved in about a third of his point production).
Given everything Flames GM Conroy has said about not wanting to bottom out, go full scorched earth, and so on so forth, I can't imagine he's available. At all. He's the closest thing to a number one defensemen the Flames have and short of getting a bonafide age comparable number one center in return, it just doesn't make sense at all at this point.

Andersson was speculated to be the captain had the Flames not been able to come to terms with Backlund. And unless he wants out, he will likely be the next captain when Backlund's done.

Makes way more sense for the Sabres to get a Hanifin now or try and overpay a Tanev in the summer.

Reactions: Chainshot

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Offer isn't close for Andersson
I would add our first krebs+ Rosen than add from their with neuchev, poltapov, ostlund and wahlberg

Given everything Flames GM Conroy has said about not wanting to bottom out, go full scorched earth, and so on so forth, I can't imagine he's available. At all. He's the closest thing to a number one defensemen the Flames have and short of getting a bonafide age comparable number one center in return, it just doesn't make sense at all at this point.

Andersson was speculated to be the captain had the Flames not been able to come to terms with Backlund. And unless he wants out, he will likely be the next captain when Backlund's done.

Makes way more sense for the Sabres to get a Hanifin now or try and overpay a Tanev in the summer.

So he is basically untouchable understandable but what the Sabres need on defense isn't exactly handling but he would be a huge upgrade to our d core but would swap out savoie for something else

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would add our first krebs+ Rosen than add from their with neuchev, poltapov, ostlund and wahlberg

The volume of pieces in the return doesn't do enough to leverage Andersson away from Calgary. They have almost no one on RD with Tanev likely being a deadline deal commodity. Andersson provides them with #1D responsibilities and makes just 250K more than Mattias Samuelsson. I know the anecdote police won't like this but that would be a rowboats for battleship type trade where the offer is just throwing more oars into the deal.

If I were Conroy, countering with an ask of Jokiharju (RD replacement in the NHL), Peterka (productive ELC), one of the wing prospects, and Buffalo's first this year (currently in the top 10) would be where I would go, probably with anyone asking about Andersson. There is no reason for the Flames to move him.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
The volume of pieces in the return doesn't do enough to leverage Andersson away from Calgary. They have almost no one on RD with Tanev likely being a deadline deal commodity. Andersson provides them with #1D responsibilities and makes the 250K more than Mattias Samuelsson. I know the anecdote police won't like this but that would be a rowboats for battleship type trade where the offer is just throwing more oars into the deal.

If I were Conroy, countering with an ask of Jokiharju (RD replacement in the NHL), Peterka (productive ELC), one of the wing prospects, and Buffalo's first this year (currently in the top 10) would be where I would go, probably with anyone asking about Andersson. There is no reason for the Flames to move him.
I just wish there was a rhd available that fits our needs we have the futures if any team decides scorched earth is good at least... but the available pieces this year are slim so it's a seller's market right now don't want to overpay due to deadline tax.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad