Proposal: Hanifin to Buffalo

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
The contract is the problem, not the player. WHY ARE THEY PAYING HIM 8.35M? That takes away any upside and gives you only downside.

The upside is not next year when he will be the 15-20th highest-paid defenceman in the league and the 50-100th best.

The upside is in the back half of the contract when he is the 30-80th-highest paid and in the top 20.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The upside is not next year when he will be the 15-20th highest-paid defenceman in the league and the 50-100th best.

The upside is in the back half of the contract when he is the 30-80th-highest paid and in the top 20.
But do we know he will be? He's the 14th highest paid guy in the league. He's not even close to top 100 now. Heck he'd be the 5th or 6th best defenseman for the Flames and we have a pretty average blueline.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sabres scouts at back to back Flames games on the east coast... maybe there is some smoke to this again.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
But do we know he will be? He's the 14th highest paid guy in the league. He's not even close to top 100 now. Heck he'd be the 5th or 6th best defenseman for the Flames and we have a pretty average blueline.
We don't, but Adams paid for what he expects Power to become. It's risky - in a few years he could look like a fool or a genius.

I'd take @RasmusAndersson 's offer. Sabres blueline would be pretty much set for a while. Ya, RHD would be preferred, but passing up an opportunity to improve in hopes of an opportunity that might never come is poor management.

Nice to have an offer from a 2nd-team sort of fan who actually understands our needs.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Sabres scouts at back to back Flames games on the east coast... maybe there is some smoke to this again.
I have to think it's someone else. Hanifin being Jack eichel's best friend, it seems unlikely he'd extend. A lot of bad blood there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have to think it's someone else. Hanifin being Jack eichel's best friend, it seems unlikely he'd extend. A lot of bad blood there.

The "hey, I asked to be traded before I every got hurt and then they traded me so I could win a Cup" bad blood? Even Jack has said it's overblown.

Reactions: Zman5778

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
The "hey, I asked to be traded before I every got hurt and then they traded me so I could win a Cup" bad blood? Even Jack has said it's overblown.
I mean, he was hours away from going on full blast about the Pegulas. And then he came back to buffalo and was an absolute ass in the post game. I'm not saying he has a right to be salty, but he definitely is.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Calgary- Andersson + Hanafin

Buffalo- 1st + Power + Savoie + Jokiharu + Nakita Novikov + 3rd

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If Hanifin is this team's best player, no wonder it's so mid
Well yeah. Mid might even be strong. You could make a cogent argument that we are a bottom third team. I view our roster as a great supporting cast devoid of the 3 stars contenders have. If the conversation on best player is between a shutdown center, #2 defenseman and a 6-12 starting goalie you don't have a great roster.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I’d argue personally he’s our third best defenseman but we’re trying to up his value so sure. Best player

Honestly based on this season alone he's been our most consistent defender, but that may have to do with playing alongside Tanev.

Ras-Weegar has been an adventure at times.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Well yeah. Mid might even be strong. You could make a cogent argument that we are a bottom third team. I view our roster as a great supporting cast devoid of the 3 stars contenders have. If the conversation on best player is between a shutdown center, #2 defenseman and a 6-12 starting goalie you don't have a great roster.
The point was I don't see Hanifin having a slightly better year than normal in a contract year (oh wow what a coincidence) as being the Flames best player.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think another big ticket defenseman contract is the last thing Buffalo needs.

You can't ice a competitive team if your top 5 D are eating 35 million of your cap, especially when your 5 highest paid forwards are also coming in around 35 million (assuming Mittelstadt is extended). That is 70M against the cap with 13 spots to fill.

Sabres do not have the superstars to carry them to the playoffs. They are going to have to win with depth and a full team effort. A move like this would make the thin depth they currently have much worse, as they would have very little cap space to fill out their bottom 6 and goaltending.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad