GDT: Hanging On: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Pittsburgh Penguins, 7 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
I went to bed around the 45th minute when it was 3-1.
When I woke up, I thought it was a flashscore bug.
Dude, same. I just came on here expecting everyone to be in high spirits but figured I'd check the score just in case. Holy shit I thought I was reading the scores backwards. What a disaster.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nico13

Camille the Eel

Timo Meier: "Didn't look like everybody wanted the puck." Something is seriously wrong with this Devils team, that's for sure.
He had also said we played “scared to lose.”

Our confidence is gone. Kaput. Things have gone right off the cliff. The danger now I think is not to let these last few weeks become so toxic between the players and the fans that people don’t want to come to the Rock, spend their money and watch this and players don’t want to sign, be traded or play here if given an alternative. Those are the worst case scenarios but after last night I don’t think they are impossible. That was the issue from my point of view with leaving Green in charge. We so needed someone who has the personality and strength to hold things steady while we navigated this stretch.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don't know what Holtz's problem is, but a number of the members of the board were unhappy with the pick when we picked him, I do remember that. And I hope he isn't a bust. Watch, we'll trade him, and he'll be a 30 goal scorer somewhere else, while still being a defensive liability.
I wouldn’t have thought we would see a season where Holtz played every game and yet I think it’s still reasonable to think he hasn’t really gotten an opportunity.

Guy has scored at a very good clip most of the season and didn’t get a chance at a better line. He’s getting some games with Hughes now that Hughes is missing an arm. :lol:

I think it would surprise people that at 5 on 5 a comparison of goals for and against with Toffoli is.

Holtz - 31 GF to 33 GA
Toffoli - 39 GF to 46 GA

———————

Last night is probably a good microcosm for Holtz. He set up a good chance after winning a forecheck battle. Most of the team wasn’t generating chances at that point. He covered for a pinching defenseman. He helped break up a 3 on 2 against with a strong back check.

At that point Holtz is probably feeling like he’s having more of a positive impact on the game than most Devils forwards.

Green then says Holtz made 1 bad play so he benched him from the next 20-30 minutes. If that’s the standard then most of the team would end up benched.

——————-

So ya, if I’m Holtz I’m leaving last nights game pissed off and confused at why my positive plays don’t seem to matter and the coaches are hyper sensitive to my negative plays. I’d want out pretty badly at this point.

For me, I don’t think Holtz looks likely to be a star but it won’t surprise me if he has an arc like Kyle Palmieri. The Devils trade him and he ends up being a good goal scorer for his next team, who feels that they got a bargain.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
At that point Holtz is probably feeling like he’s having more of a positive impact on the game than most Devils forwards.

“Add the fact that Holtz was seemingly on his way to a strong game, posting a 65.52 CF% and 90.98 xGF% at 5-on-5, according to Natural Stat Trick, the punishment for the supposed crime feels displaced.”

————-

Ya, he probably felt things were going pretty well at that point.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Well, if one of the following things went our way this season they are a playoff team

- a normal season in terms of injuries/McLeod
- better goaltending
- system adjustments

Fitz to do list:

Coach
Goalie
3C
Complimentary wingers
LHD upgrade
normally i agree with that but this team seems so uninterested in trying for a playoff spot that is being gifted to them the past 8 weeks! i just dont understand you fire a coach and teams usually respond and play or try harder i dont care if its travis green behind the bench of whoever at least go out and try. they get better goaltending the past month and still zero effort theres no explanation. what is going on in that locker room? has there even been a team only meeting after a loss? do teams do that anymore?

its not like this is a team at the start of a rebuild with a bunch of unkown long term players playing out the last 30 games of the season at the bottom of the standings. this team was projected to be a power house this year. they still had a legit shot at the playoffs up until last week! these are core foundation players on the roster. yet they show zero willingness to care and try? so yeah normally injuries goaltending system adjustments can derail a season but i dont think thats the case here

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
I wouldn’t have thought we would see a season where Holtz played every game and yet I think it’s still reasonable to think he hasn’t really gotten an opportunity.

Guy has scored at a very good clip most of the season and didn’t get a chance at a better line. He’s getting some games with Hughes now that Hughes is missing an arm. :lol:

I think it would surprise people that at 5 on 5 a comparison of goals for and against with Toffoli is.

Holtz - 31 GF to 33 GA
Toffoli - 39 GF to 46 GA

———————

Last night is probably a good microcosm for Holtz. He set up a good chance after winning a forecheck battle. Most of the team wasn’t generating chances at that point. He covered for a pinching defenseman. He helped break up a 3 on 2 against with a strong back check.

Green then says Holtz made 1 bad play so he benched him from the next 20-30 minutes. If that’s the standard then most of the team would end up benched.

——————-

So ya, if I’m Holtz I’m leaving last nights game pissed off and confused at why my positive plays don’t seem to matter and the coaches are hyper sensitive to my negative plays. I’d want out pretty badly at this point.

For me, I don’t think Holtz looks likely to be a star but it won’t surprise me if he has an arc like Kyle Palmieri. The Devils trade him and he ends up being a good goal scorer for his next team, who feels that they got a bargain.

Holtz easily could have had four assists last night in 8:28 of ice time. The reality is that Green has had the Devils playing highly conservative in 3rd periods and it is actively hurting the team.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
We get to do it all over again tonight.

Do we have to? I was highly enjoying it when we had zero games three straight nights.
IMG_3354.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad