Hamilton Bulldogs [29-41-6] & Wheeling Nailers 2012-2013 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Why do you qualify Tokarski if you have no intention of signing him....it can't take THAT long. Are they seriously thinking of going with Mayer as Hamilton #1??? :shakehead
I'd like to think it's just that Tokarski himself is weighing his options. Maybe he would rather have a European deal than another year in the AHL? But at least those Euro spots must be drying up by now, so the odds of a #3 spot to an NHL team appealing to him must be looking better?

At least, that's what I'd like to think it is. Just too bad the stuff at the end of the season makes me wonder if the Habs organization is really seeing Tokarski the same way we/I do. :dunno:

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Drew Shiestel, former 2nd round pick, signed on a 2-way AHL/ECHL contract with the Bulldogs. Any reports on this guy?

Hopefully he doesn't start the season as anything more than a 7th or 8th dman.

Hamilton still needs a dman or two.

Beaulieu-Pateryn
Nygren-X
Ellis-Dietz

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'd like to think it's just that Tokarski himself is weighing his options. Maybe he would rather have a European deal than another year in the AHL? But at least those Euro spots must be drying up by now, so the odds of a #3 spot to an NHL team appealing to him must be looking better?

At least, that's what I'd like to think it is. Just too bad the stuff at the end of the season makes me wonder if the Habs organization is really seeing Tokarski the same way we/I do. :dunno:

Even if that would be it, fine. Tokarski could indeed do what he wants for his career. But we need to do what's great for our organization. And if it's not Tokarski, there are others. There were others and now, with time passing by, it's not looking great in that regard.

The effort that the Habs put in keeping him, or so it seems, do look like he has been promise something. And it can't be backup in Hamilton. We need to deal with the fact that we are gonig in Hamilton with a Mayer-Condon duo. And honestly, just wish that Condon takes the job. The Mayer love makes no sense. Let's hope I eat some crow, that they saw that he finally gets it....but I doubt it very much.

Habiton

Apr 30, 2010
Even if that would be it, fine. Tokarski could indeed do what he wants for his career. But we need to do what's great for our organization. And if it's not Tokarski, there are others. There were others and now, with time passing by, it's not looking great in that regard.

The effort that the Habs put in keeping him, or so it seems, do look like he has been promise something. And it can't be backup in Hamilton. We need to deal with the fact that we are gonig in Hamilton with a Mayer-Condon duo. And honestly, just wish that Condon takes the job. The Mayer love makes no sense. Let's hope I eat some crow, that they saw that he finally gets it....but I doubt it very much.

How many players round take a backup AHL gig? That's what he is. He's obviously a hard worker and has good character or he wouldn't have been resigned. Him dressing for the Habs was a reward for loyalty imo.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar

Yeah, I don't understand the Mayer thing either. And tbh, while I have no strong opinion either way on Condon or whether he's capable of playing in the AHL this season, I would have liked to think that he would have been signed with the idea that he was tagged as the AHL backup. Now if you postulate that Mayer is seen as the AHL backup, and Condon in the ECHL... ? I dunno, maybe they do just think Mayer can be #1?

Anyway, there are still a few goalies out there. Even guys like Theodore and Garon might be scrambling for #3 spots come training camp.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
How many players round take a backup AHL gig? That's what he is. He's obviously a hard worker and has good character or he wouldn't have been resigned. Him dressing for the Habs was a reward for loyalty imo.

Mayer hasn't proved anything. Only thing he did prove was that he was inconsistant as hell So Mayer took a backup gig 'cause that's what he is till proven otherwise. So yes...I guess something is great about him 'cause I don't understand it. They probably do see a potential that he might be something interesting later. Kid do have great size and when he his in his game, he looks great. Problem is that since his junior days, he was never able to be consistent. And that didn't change so far. I guess they think it will soon.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Yeah, I don't understand the Mayer thing either. And tbh, while I have no strong opinion either way on Condon or whether he's capable of playing in the AHL this season, I would have liked to think that he would have been signed with the idea that he was tagged as the AHL backup. Now if you postulate that Mayer is seen as the AHL backup, and Condon in the ECHL... ? I dunno, maybe they do just think Mayer can be #1?

Anyway, there are still a few goalies out there. Even guys like Theodore and Garon might be scrambling for #3 spots come training camp.

As of now, we have to come to the conclusion that Mayer is seen as the #1 goalie. The guy had a contract in Europe. We don't know if he was tagged the #1 in Europe but you have to think that the Habs coming back to him with an offer HAS to mean that they had something more than AHL backup. So as of now, we have to live with a Mayer-Condon duo with Mayer being #1. I hope our offense clicks.....soon....and a lot.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
As of now, we have to come to the conclusion that Mayer is seen as the #1 goalie. The guy had a contract in Europe. We don't know if he was tagged the #1 in Europe but you have to think that the Habs coming back to him with an offer HAS to mean that they had something more than AHL backup. So as of now, we have to live with a Mayer-Condon duo with Mayer being #1. I hope our offense clicks.....soon....and a lot.

that's a scary thought. :shakehead:(

Well the defence being young is hard enough, with Deitz, Nygren and possibly Thrower joining the rookies from last year Beaulieu, Ellis and Pateryn so the top three pairings could be 3 rookies and 3 sophomores with Mayer holding it together. That's a scary possibility indeed, let's hope nobody gets injured or suffers a sophomore slump.

Lots of rookies on offence as well, Stephen Lebeau should be spending the summer with the forwards and finding some kind of chemistry between them. All the units will need to play like they have been together for years or it's going to be another long season. Let us hope the Bulldogs don't have too many back to back games, being fresh could at least give them a bit of an edge and a few points. Hudon, Bozon, Vail, Collberg and Nystrom would have given them quite a bit more scoring power and depth to draw from.:nod: Just have to hope the team becomes cohesive and plays team defence first and foremost, if they do that it will give them a chance in every game.:nod:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Glad to see Chaput back, thought he would be as the coaching staff seemed very happy with his play. Just to show how bad it was for Leblanc last season, Chaput had 1 less point then LL in 14 less games. I wonder if they would put him on a line with Fournier.

Will be interesting to see how Nystrom does in the AHL, plus it may help with his transition having Nygren there unless he somehow makes the Habs.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Well its the Habs brass who takes these decisions (Nystrom, Chaput, etc..)

The Habs did great last season and Hamilton were in last place in the AHL. This year Bergevin has loaded their team up with offence and if Thrower makes the team, they will be better. Pretty hard not too, considering they were out of the playoffs in Oct.:laugh::laugh: basement floor everybody off.:laugh::laugh: I'm hoping to see some bite in the Dawgs this year.:nod: Nystrom should help defensively and Chaput proved he can score at least at the AHL level, so they will help.:nod:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
so what will the line up look like?

I hope they aren't done yet. I hope they add another vet or 2 on D and sign Tokarski.

Forwards- Leblanc, Thomas, Bournival, Holland, Nattinen, Quailer, Fournier, St.Pierre, Blunden, Tarnasky, Andrighetto, McCauley, Duffy, Chaput, Nystrom, Dumont?

Defense- Beaulieu, Pateryn, Nygren, Deitz, Ellis, Schiestel

I'd try Holland St-Pierre Thomas as a line since Holland's best asset is his playmaking and Thomas is a sniper, St-Pierre would balance out the line with his veteran presence.

Maybe Andrighetto Bournival Leblanc as a line. Leblanc and Bournival are solid in their own end while Andrighetto and hopefully Leblanc would bring the offense.

A Tanasky Dumont Blunden line would be interesting for sure if Dumont were sent back to the Dogs and clears waivers. Maybe put Nystrom on a line with Nattinen.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Although I haven't seen anything official, it is possible Montreal may have signed a veteran goalie for Hamilton. I am only basing it on a tweet he sent today that I came across.

Kevin Lalande @klalande35

@MStPierre39 @CanadiensMTL @BulldogsAHL Olé Olé Olé Olé #dreamcometrue #lowblocker #POW

The guy is 26 and posted decent stats in the KHL.

On July 7 he sent one that he was going back to Minsk, so who knows. Maybe he was just congratulating Martin St. Pierre on his contract with the team, but it is a little late for that to be the case. Guess we will see in the next few days. It could explain the delay in signing Tokarski.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Although I haven't seen anything official, it is possible Montreal may have signed a veteran goalie for Hamilton. I am only basing it on a tweet he sent today that I came across.

@MStPierre39 @CanadiensMTL @BulldogsAHL Olé Olé Olé Olé #dreamcometrue #lowblocker #POW

On July 7 he sent one that he was going back to Minsk, so who knows. Maybe he was just congratulating Martin St. Pierre on his contract with the team, but it is a little late for that to be the case. Guess we will see in the next few days. It could explain the delay in signing Tokarski.

Wow, great find.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Nah, he's replying to St. Pierre's tweet from today:

Martin St. Pierre ‏@MStPierre39
New gear 2 break-in for the season/Nouvelle equipement a s'habituer pour la saison 13/14 @CanadiensMTL @BulldogsAHL

BQndjoxCcAAmhwI.jpg

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Why do you qualify Tokarski if you have no intention of signing him....it can't take THAT long. Are they seriously thinking of going with Mayer as Hamilton #1??? :shakehead

I hope so but right now, that's the sound of staying put....and I don't like that. I mean, it can't take you that long in negotiating with your #1 starter in Hamilton does it? Unless....he's already signs for 2 years. I mean, there is a reason why they insisted for him to not go in Europe. It can't be because they were missing a #2 in Hamilton. I mean, Delmas could be the guy. And I have a lot of faith with Condon actually. I know, just development camp practices, but I loved what I saw. Yet....we need a #1 goalie back there. And if it's not him 'cause for some reasons, they don't like him, well the other good goalies are surely all signed.

I mean, you do remember how puzzled you were when Tokarski wasn't dressed too much at the end of the year, and we thought it was because they wanted to see Mayer more or the other goalies...well....it was either that or something happened and Tokarski did something. But then...why do you qualify him?

Since they gave him his QO I assume he's going to be signed at some point. If not the Dogs are in big trouble. I'm interested in Condon since he already played on a bad princeton team but did well enough, but a Mayer-Condon duo would scary especially if Price gets injured for any length of time.

Great point. My thought process is that Tokarski will hold the number one spot, the number two going to Mayer while the number one in the ECHL will be Condon. Let him develop and force Mayer down.

Interesting plan.

Mayer hasn't proved anything. Only thing he did prove was that he was inconsistant as hell So Mayer took a backup gig 'cause that's what he is till proven otherwise. So yes...I guess something is great about him 'cause I don't understand it. They probably do see a potential that he might be something interesting later. Kid do have great size and when he his in his game, he looks great. Problem is that since his junior days, he was never able to be consistent. And that didn't change so far. I guess they think it will soon.

That wouldn't explain the Habs wanting Mayer to stay and resigning him after the offer he received in Europe though, unless the Habs have been waiting on this other goalie for 4-5 months.

Maybe the delay in signing Tokarski is due to arbitration and agreeing on the rate of pay he should receive, befitting a goalie with his accomplishments. Some players earn $200,000 a year playing in the AHL foregoing the two/way deal in lieu of monetary rewards as a veteran player.:nod:
As far as Mayer goes, possibly there is agreement on his talent and how good he could become. Now that Bergevin has Stephen Waite under contract and a new goalie coach in Hamilton, they want to be absolutely positive that Mayer has the best help.
It wouldn't look good on the team to let a player go and have him comeback the following year in Boston and win Rookie of the Year. (Worst case scenario)Just sayin.:nod:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

He is. When Elite Prospects as it written like that, meaning the 13-14 season with blanks besides it, it means it's officially confirmed he's going to the team written for the 13-14 season.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11245

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot