Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Till the team begins to lose

Also the schoolday games massively change the "averages". If you just went by regular games and not when they discount mass tickets to entire schools, HAM isn't in 6th. But I guess that's good strategy by them because they know without schoolday games they'd be in trouble, and that'll just intensify once they start to lose now

Reactions: three dog night

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
The IceDogs have been in St. Catherines for 11 years and are still looking for their 1st championship yet have good attendance numbers.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Also the schoolday games massively change the "averages". If you just went by regular games and not when they discount mass tickets to entire schools, HAM isn't in 6th. But I guess that's good strategy by them because they know without schoolday games they'd be in trouble, and that'll just intensify once they start to lose now

Except I believe 6 other teams also host school day games, including Erie, Ottawa, Flint, Hamilton, Mississauga and Kingston. Most of which are drawing far worse then Hamilton.

The IceDogs have been in St. Catherines for 11 years and are still looking for their 1st championship yet have good attendance numbers.

Imagine what it would be like after getting one? :D

That said, yeah, if the team starts to lose the attendance will likely drop, but it's good to see the team getting a favorable bounce.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Except I believe 6 other teams also host school day games, including Erie, Ottawa, Flint, Hamilton, Mississauga and Kingston. Most of which are drawing far worse then Hamilton

Hamilton hosts the most schoolday games, and have a much larger arena than the rest

HAM's attendance for the schoolday games last yea were 11,565, 8,380 and 7,327. That's 14,519 more than their average over 3 games.... Take away that extra 14.5 thousand that the schoolday games brought them and the average attendance numbers are drastically different.

But like I said, hard to blame them for it, they understand without doing it then they'd have bad attendance numbers so they do what brings them success in the gate

Last edited:

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
Hamilton hosts the most schoolday games, and have a much larger arena than the rest

HAM's attendance for the schoolday games last yea were 11,565, 8,380 and 7,327. That's 14,519 more than their average over 3 games.... Take away that extra 14.5 thousand that the schoolday games brought them and the average attendance numbers are drastically different.

But like I said, hard to blame them for it, they understand without doing it then they'd have bad attendance numbers so they do what brings them success in the gate
Pretttttty sure there was only two school day games last year, but I also don't understand the negativity towards the team regardless. If you don't like reading something on the 'Hamilton Bulldogs' forum, youre more than welcome to stay out.

Especially for someone who comes in here to promote his own blog haha

Reactions: The Howler

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I always consider Niagara a more of a hockey market then Hamilton.

I have been aware of the OHL since the mid 70's. The situation in Hamilton has been famine and feast arena wise as far as junior hockey goes. In the 70's the Hamilton arena was a decrepit Forum. The Fincups were at least feasable there and became a great team, winning the Robertson there in 75 I believe. The Forum was a crumbling arena, and the ice plant died, so they hastily moved to the mountain arena, capacity just over 2 grand. Known as a tough crowd Hamilton would have had a constant franchise if they had a decent rink in those days. Eventually Mountain Arena would not pay the bills so the franchise left for a "larger" arena in Brantford.

Too small of a rink for too long and suddenly they build Copps, too big for junior A. I have always believed Hamilton could be a great OHL city, just need the right sized arena. Just as a new rink and sized appropriately opened the doors in St Catherines, the same would happen in the Hammer.

Remember St Catherines lost a team during the 70s as well, the Blackhawks became the Niagra Falls Flyers, so even a great hockey area like the Niagra region does much better with a proper arena.

The whole Golden Horseshoe is a Jr hockey hotbed I would say, I don't think there is much difference between those fans in either town. I have been to both places many times.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

Yes and no. I'm to understand Ottawa plays it's school day games out of the Canadian Tire Centre to an even larger 13,000+ crowd yet Ottawa's attendance sits at 9th. Additionally, all the teams which play school-day games tend to draw more then their averages. The issue though is even if you take these games out of the average, it's still over a 34 game season. I don't think the loss of numbers would be that spectacular.

I mean, lets say 3800 * 31 = 117,800 then add 28,000 (more then the total attendance of those games) and divide by 34. You end up with 4288. That's only adding 488 to the average, and still would be good for 9th in the league at 3,800 a game. That's also even before you remove the school day games away from other teams, which would probably put the team at 8th in the league at that point . Still decent numbers.

Last edited:

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Yes and no. I'm to understand Ottawa plays it's school day games out of the Canadian Tire Centre to an even larger 13,000+ crowd yet Ottawa's attendance sits at 11. Additionally, all the teams which play school-day games tend to draw more then their averages. The issue though is even if you take these games out of the average, it's still over a 34 game season. I don't think the loss of numbers would be that spectacular.

FWIW Ottawa only plays one home schoolday game. In the past it's been at CT Centre and sold out but next season's sched has their one schoolday game at TD Place.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm sure you all forgot about the U18 draft where we added 3 more bodies to our club

Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

1st round - G Damon Beaver 5`9 139lbs in 27 gp with Whitby AAA he had 1.81 and in 8 playoff games he had 2.96 GAA 16 yr olds

2nd round was LW Sean Chisholm who according to Elite prospects was born in Halifax, NS but played for Hamilton Jr Bulldogs / Brantford Jr B 99ers No stats avail.. 5'11 178lbs

3rd pick due to us taking a goalie - C Nick Cordeiro - played with Missy Rebels AAA 5`11 179lbs No pts Avail

After posting the article i found some info on the 3 players:

BULLDOGS SELECT 3 PLAYERS IN THE 2018 UNDER 18 PRIORITY SELECTION – Hamilton Bulldogs

Last edited:

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
That
I'm sure you all forgot about the U18 draft where we added 3 more bodies to our club

Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

1st round - G Damon Beaver 5`9 139lbs in 27 gp with Whitby AAA he had 1.81 and in 8 playoff games he had 2.96 GAA 16 yr olds

BULLDOGS SELECT 3 PLAYERS IN THE 2018 UNDER 18 PRIORITY SELECTION – Hamilton Bulldogs

That goalie they drafted likely means Donofrio (who was not drafted) will likely be dealt by training camp, as they're likely going with Zachary Roy as the starter, as the franchise is heading for a full-blown rebuild, with Beaver likely backing up Roy and Costantini likely to be in Jr. B with the Hamilton Kilty B's to develop.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Ben Gleason will be attending Florida's development camp.

And Justin Lemcke looks to be headed to Wichita of the ECHL.

Also former Bulldog Riley McCourt will be attending development camp in Dallas.

Edit: A couple more announced.

Nick Donofrio attending Arizona's development camp.
Ryan Moore attending Toronto's development camp.

Last edited:

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
That

That goalie they drafted likely means Donofrio (who was not drafted) will likely be dealt by training camp, as they're likely going with Zachary Roy as the starter, as the franchise is heading for a full-blown rebuild, with Beaver likely backing up Roy and Costantini likely to be in Jr. B with the Hamilton Kilty B's to develop.

I think you might be reading a bit too far into this one. 13 different teams took goaltenders in this draft, with 8 in the first round. The reason is that drafting a goaltender allows a franchise to make an additional pick in this draft. I'll agree Donofrio's future with the team is a question mark, but I don't see the team turfing him by camp yet.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Unfortunately, yes. The OHL held some preseason games in Buffalo last year as well. No preseason games around Hamilton this year to my knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad