Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
I don't understand why the Bulldogs stuck with the gameplan of just shooting things on net all the while getting very little traffic in-front of the night.

Also had a lot of uncalled holds/hooks on the Pats, which made scoring fairly difficult.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Real good run, just came up a bit short.

Still brought an OHL title to Hamilton, first one since 1976. Boys should be proud, hold your heads high and good luck to those who will be going onto the pro ranks.

Thanks for a great season!

Let’s build something special again. Going to take some time but it can be done.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Congrats Hamilton on a terrific season! Still the league champs and that will never change

I know as an erie fan it stung to lose in the finals last year. You obviously want the season to end with both. But any true fan with knowledge of the league and how hockey works knows that
Winning 4 playoff rounds, 16 games total, and playing for 2 months is MUCH more impressive than simply winning a 4-5 game tournament. There are more memories and more adversity faced by the team in 2 months as opposed to 1 week.

It was more painful for me personally to lose to Windsor last year. If Erie would have lost to the other league champs I would have thought “whatever we just weren’t good enough”. But I have remained convinced that Windsor having 6/7 weeks to rest and strategize was a ridiculous advantage. If Windsor had gotten to round 3 and played another 11/12 games, would they have had the same success? I’m not convinced at all. Regina might be proving my theory for me. It’s mentally and physically draining for these kids and host teams with a long layoff have the chance to reset. An extreme advantage.
Curious if you Hamilton fans feel the same way?

Reactions: LDN

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I agree with this. Owen Sound was as good or better than the Soo. Goaltending was average and that is what held them back. They had a solid squad. With a solid goalie I think they would have given any junior team in Canada nightmares in a series or the Mem Cup.

I think they were hoping for McNiven to return. Being one of the hottest teams going into the playoffs, I think they could have went all the way with a good keeper.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
It was a great run--but you can't win against a hot goalie, and even despite badly out-shooting Regina, the quality of shots on Paddock stunk.

Now the Bulldogs prepare for the banner rising in the fall--and a painful rebuild that looms in 2018-19 and likely 2019-20 as well, as Staios needs to replenish Hamilton's draft cupboard. In addition, let's hope for some progress on a new arena soon so that Hamilton can eventually host a Memorial Cup.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Congratulations Bulldogs on a great season .

I really enjoyed watching your games at the Memorial Cup, and of course, the OHL Championship series.
What a run .

Congratulations Attack alumni Connor Walters.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Congratulations to the Bulldogs on a great season. OHL Champions! This roster will always have that accomplishment to pass on. The Memorial Cup is one of th hardest cups to win in all sports and just to earn a spot in this tourney is an amazing feat in it's self.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Bulldogs season ends with semifinal loss
By: Teri Pecoskie May 26, 2018
Regina—Their season is over, one game short of their goal.
The Regina Pats downed the Bulldogs 4-2 in the Memorial Cup semifinal on Friday, bringing to an end an OHL championship winning campaign that surpassed expectations for the Hamilton club.
The host Pats move on to face the Acadie-Bathurst Titan in the tournament final on Sunday.
“Nothing we can say right now is going to make this any better,” said captain Justin Lemcke. “They outplayed us tonight.”
“All the credit goes to the Regina team,” added head coach John Gruden. “They earned it. They did all the little things right.”
Will Bitten replied seconds later to make it a one-goal game but the Bulldogs, who came back so many times in the course of their playoff run, didn’t get the equalizer. Jake Leschyshyn sealed the win with a shot into the empty Hamilton net with five seconds to go.
Cameron Hebig and Austin Pratt also tallied for the Pats, and 17-year-old Max Paddock had 46 saves in the win. Nicolas Mattinen rounded out the scoring for Hamilton.
When asked if the Bulldogs could have done anything differently, Gruden said he would have liked to see a little more desperation to get to the front of the Regina net.
“We had a lot of shots and we missed a lot of shots,” he added.
“I don’t think we fought through some of those box outs.”
Bulldogs season ends with semifinal loss

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Congrats on a hell of a season Hamilton.

You guys put up quite the fight. Dominated the Eastern Conference. Beat the best team in the Country. Respectable showing at the mem cup. You guys made the ohl proud.

Enjoy the off season. Cant wait to take in another 10 games or so in the house of yellow and black!

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
With the Bulldogs season over, we say goodbye to:

Kaden Fulcher (AHL bound)
Ryan Moore (OA)
Will Bitten (AHL-bound)
Brandon Saigeon (likely to be drafted and won't return to Hamilton)
Nicholas Caamano (unlikely to return--likely to end up in Texas with the Stars in the AHL)
Marian Studenic (AHL-bound)
Justin Lemcke (OA)
Connor Walters (OA)
Nicolas Mattinen (likely to be in the AHL with the Marlies)
Riley Stillman (AHL bound)

Fairly lengthy list--and likely to grow next season when Staios blows up the team as it faces a lengthy rebuild, with Entwistle and Strome likely to go, and possibly Donofrio as well as he's not part of the Bulldogs future with Zachary Roy expected to get most of the work in 2018/19.

BTW--have any of the Bulldogs draft picks signed yet? The team has a lot of holes on the roster to fill.. especially with scoring and D.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Ryan Pyette Retweeted
OntarioHockeyLeague‏Verified account @OHLHockey 8h8 hours

#MCMemorialCup Post-Game:
Hear from
@BulldogsOHL forward @RThomas_27, defenceman @RileyStillman61, captain @Lemcke_97 following tournament
ending loss to Regina.
WATCH:

https://bit.ly/2INLQNv
#MMC100
pic.twitter.com/7SZnqAKfMY
DeIy89HUwAAlt-g.jpg

Reactions: LDN

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
GVx0c3CB_bigger.jpg
Teri Pecoskie‏ @TeriatTheSpec 7h7 hours ago

Think it's interesting the
#CHL has edited out media questions about
officiating from its post-game clips and recaps at
#MMC100.
Know that reporters have been asking.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
GVx0c3CB_bigger.jpg
Teri Pecoskie‏ @TeriatTheSpec 2h2 hours ago

Teri Pecoskie Retweeted Todd McNaught
For me, the issue is transparency.
When officiating affects the outcome of a game,
I’m going to ask about it - and it shouldn’t be scrubbed from the record.

#MMC100

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
With the Bulldogs season over, we say goodbye to:

Kaden Fulcher (AHL bound)
Ryan Moore (OA)
Will Bitten (AHL-bound)
Brandon Saigeon (likely to be drafted and won't return to Hamilton)
Nicholas Caamano (unlikely to return--likely to end up in Texas with the Stars in the AHL)
Marian Studenic (AHL-bound)
Justin Lemcke (OA)
Connor Walters (OA)
Nicolas Mattinen (likely to be in the AHL with the Marlies)
Riley Stillman (AHL bound)

Fairly lengthy list--and likely to grow next season when Staios blows up the team as it faces a lengthy rebuild, with Entwistle and Strome likely to go, and possibly Donofrio as well as he's not part of the Bulldogs future with Zachary Roy expected to get most of the work in 2018/19.

BTW--have any of the Bulldogs draft picks signed yet? The team has a lot of holes on the roster to fill.. especially with scoring and D.
You did not list Thomas - do you think he is returning?

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
It would be a mistake for the Devils to put Studenic in the AHL. Still room for improvements at the junior level.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
It would be a mistake for the Devils to put Studenic in the AHL. Still room for improvements at the junior level.

20 years old in November and already got an ELC--he's in the AHL no matter what. Can't return, being a import due to NHL/CHL and AHL rules. It's Binghamton for him no matter what.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
You did not list Thomas - do you think he is returning?

50/50. But the odds are he's gone as well--if he does return, the Bulldogs will be trading him for picks and prospects as they try to replenish their empty cupboards..

Plus, he's likely to make St. Louis due to lack of depth in his position on the Blues.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
No doubt in my mind that there was homer refereeing. The Titan too got some terrible calls and even more non calls when playing Regina but stuck it out to win. Bulldogs had a great season and should have been in the final.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Congrats to Bathurst but honestly I never found them to be that good. Hamilton was the best team there given their roster and depth. The Bulldogs consistently outshot their opponents but there were unfortunately just too many fumbled pucks in prime scoring areas and missed opportunities.

Really weak final this year. Windsor or Erie would have crushed either Regina or Bathurst IMO.

Reactions: rangersblues

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Congrats to Bathurst but honestly I never found them to be that good. Hamilton was the best team there given their roster and depth. The Bulldogs consistently outshot their opponents but there were unfortunately just too many fumbled pucks in prime scoring areas and missed opportunities.

Really weak final this year. Windsor or Erie would have crushed either Regina or Bathurst IMO.

Agree on the last sentence Windsor and Erie.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
First I just want to say, it was an awesome run, and as much as it was a shame to have ended the way it did, all of the players in that team should hold their heads high. It was a heck of an experience and they busted their butts throughout the season to take the division, exorcise the demon that was the Ice Dogs during the regular season, give the Fronts some payback and played an inspired and fearless series vs the Sault, taking wins out of the neigh impenetrable Essar centre and winning the first OHL championship in the city in some time and then going to the memorial cup and putting up a heck of a strong showing against every team there (having beat the champs even). Thank you for all the hard work you guys put forward, thank you Michael Andlauer, you are more then deserving of being (likely) the only owner to have both an AHL and OHL championship ring on his finger. Thank you coach Gruden for coaching these boys up and sticking to the league, even after what went down in Flint. Thank you for every fan who came out this year and supported the team, in the hopes of making OHL hockey stick in the city of Hamilton for good this time. Thank you to all the fans of the other teams, both for your support of the boys at the memorial and for any fun ribbing during the regular season. Thank you to the other Memorial Cup teams for being excellent sports. Thank you to the officials, as without you there is no game (and hopefully we can both forget that awful Niagara series). Thank you to all the coaching staff, trainers, ticket reps and people who made this season the best OHL Bulldogs season on record. Thank you to all of the diehard fans who made the long trip from Belleville to stand by their team despite its unfortunate move, we hope the Sens can give you guys a Calder Cup. Thank you anyone else I might have forgotten, and thank you the reader for taking the time to read this post.

Reactions: soo hound girl

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
So I’m all ears if someone can explain to me how Kaden Fulcher can win the most outstanding goaltender award but not be on the Memorial Cup all-Star team :skeptic:

Reactions: Hammer9001

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Bathurst took it to Regina and pretty much dominated that whole game. Not sure what made it a weak final as compared to other years. I don't think Windsor would have crushed Bathurst. Windsor had to fight tooth and nail in all their games with the exception of Seattle. Bathurst had to battle as well that doesn't mean they would be dominated by Windsor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad