Hall for Larsson 1 Year Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Easy win for us. Hall is by far our best player. If we had a decent supporting cast his point total would be much higher.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
He got you guys a first overall pick. I would say the trade is paying for itself in spades :laugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Don't confuse team success with individual contributions.

Larsson was a good #4 this year.
Hall led NJ in just about every single offense matrix.

I do that trade every day.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Miss Larsson a lot, great player and a great guy. But yea, despite the discrepancy in the two teams' success this year I'd still do the trade every day. Hall is exactly what we needed, Shero just needs to get him some more help.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Well...

He barely averaged over 20 minutes this season. 20:09

He played no PP (13 minutes total) and very little PK...So the vast majority of his time was 5v5. In Corsi For percentage he was 5th among Edmonton defensemen.

3 other Edmonton defenders averaged more time on ice than Larsson did this season.

In 4v5 situations he was was 4th on the team in total ice time...

In all short handed situations he was 5th on the team in total ice time.

A top pairing Dman that plays no special teams? A shutdown Dman that plays the 4th most minutes on the PK?

20:09 ATOI is a middle pairing guy.

Spin it any way you like.

Last edited:

Sik02gt

Mar 4, 2013
I like having hall here, he's obviously one of the best players on this team. We need other talented players for him to play with and I think his true colors will really come out. When we moved lars. it obviously created a pretty large hole that we have been feeling this past season but hopefully we can acquire a couple new pieces this off season to help out the issues on D.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
We got the obvious better player, but we filled one hole while creating another. Overall I do the trade 10/10 times, but losing Larsson still left a hole.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I think its still too soon to judge it. I agree with the rest that I do the trade again, but jury is still out IMO.

At the absolute least, at this point neither team has lost it yet.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I miss Larsson so much as a person the most, and as a player secondary. I make that trade every single time, but it still hurts seeing Adam in an Oilers Jersey.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Happy with Hall and I think the trade was a good one for both teams (which was how I felt when it happened as well). The Devils definitely need to address their defense, but hopefully that can start this off-season. My sentiments on the trade haven't really changed, to be honest.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We easily got the better player here.

Anyone who says anything different is clearly basing it on what team did better this year.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Seeing that Lars added no offense to Edmonton and played pretty much the same game as last year...I still think the deal is a complete fleecing. And even better if Santini can replicate what Lars did for us.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Larsson isn't a top pairing guy. He's a solid #3/#4 that is very good at making the safe play in his own zone. The trade was fantastic for us. I cannot imagine how poor of a team we would have been possession wise without Hall considering we were bottom 2 with him. Easily do it all over again.

Edmonton didn't get good because they got Larsson. They got good because McDavid grew into the 2nd best player in the world.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Larsson played 270 shorthanded minutes last year he only played 123 this year and in those 123 minutes Larsson had the worst Goals against per 60 of any oilers dman. http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...=50&teamid=12&type=goals&sort=A60&sortdir=ASC

How bad was that Goals against per 60 shorthanded, you ask? Well every single Devil dman was better in shorthanded situations this season including Ben Lovejoy who played 266 shorthanded minutes this season.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...=50&teamid=18&type=goals&sort=A60&sortdir=ASC

Super duper shutdown man right there.

It's probably why Darnell Nurse averaged nearly has much shorthanded time as Larsson. (Nurse 51:09 in 44 games and Larsson 123:16 in 79 games)

That moment you scramble around looking for Andy Greene....I suppose that's why he picked #6?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Edmonton didn't get good because they got Larsson. They got good because McDavid grew into the 2nd best player in the world.

Quoted for truth.

Add in guys like Draisaitl having a HUGE year and them signing Lucic who scored 50 points this year. They also got career highs in points from guys like Mark Letestu and Patrick Maroon. Edmonton scored 44 more goals this season than they did last.

They allowed 32 fewer goals, but how much of that is because Talbot had to play 73 games? Last year he only played 56 games and Anders Nilsson played 26 games for them and stunk up the joint something fierce. Talbot's save percentage went up 3 points from last year and his GAA went from 2.55 to 2.39. So while Larsson helped, there's no way he made an astronomical difference or was a game changer, like some Oilers fans (mostly Hall bashers) would have you believe.

If Edmonton didn't make the second round of the playoffs or missed the playoffs, people would be spending this entire offseason ripping Chiarelli for this trade.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How badly people overrate Lars compared to Hall because of team results vs individual results is crazy.

Do this trade 20 out of 10 times

It's the same thing with earlier in the year when the Canadiens started out hot and the Predators looked like they might be in danger of falling out of the playoff race early. The Habs fans started to think they won that trade. Now that they got bounced in round one and Preds are 3 wins away from the SCF, those people have really piped down.

I see Larsson similar to Andy Greene a few years back. We all thought Greene was criminally underrated and all, but would any of us have really seriously thought twice about trading Greene if Taylor Hall were available then?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lars is a great player. A type of D we really need, but it isn't that special a talent.

Hall is special. The type of player you pray for in drafts. This isn't a debate. The only people who fish this garbage is weird Oilers fans that love to pile on Hall and main board trolls that join in.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lars is a great player. A type of D we really need, but it isn't that special a talent.

Hall is special. The type of player you pray for in drafts. This isn't a debate. The only people who fish this garbage is weird Oilers fans that love to pile on Hall and main board trolls that join in.

There's no way that anybody can come up with a convincing argument that Larsson is the better player.

So then others will come up with these ''Hall is a cancer in the locker room a LOSER because his teams never make the playoffs. See? Look what his new team did and look what his old team did the second he was gone!''

And when someone does wanna try to argue Larsson is a better player, they'll come up with some weird argument like about how Hall refuses to play defense and doesn't backcheck and that because of all that, it's not outlandish to think that these players are more equal than you think and that you trade off a goal against for almost every goal for that Hall is involved in. I've actually seen these kinds of arguments before.:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad