Confirmed with Link: Hall (50% retained) and Speers to Arizona for 1st, conditional pick, Bahl, Merkley and Schnarr

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashline

What smells like, brother?
Feb 10, 2018
Bumping this for Nick Merkley. 9 pts in 20 games mainly in a 4th line role and is showing a strong ability of making plays. Seriously, some of these no look saucer passes hes been making lately are crazy good.

This Hall deal keeps getting better.

Someone around here referred to him as 'Booger' and it was a stroke of genius.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I don’t think Kuokkanen is any less valuable than Bastian, I like him quite a bit too, but I do get the desire to knock some sense into people who are calling Nate a warm body.

A defensive checking forward is a job and forwards play defense too. The fact Bastian had arrived playing defense this well is a boon, it was a quality Joey Andersen had too, but as much as I liked Joey he wasn’t 6’4” +200lbs. (And Bastian’s on pace for 8 goals but that doesn’t look like his ceiling to me.) The idea that 23 year old power forwards come cheap and easy is a new one to me. And maybe Bastian doesn’t get exposed, Fitz certainly doesn’t consider him a “warm body”. Johnsson and Merkley seem like easy choices but the third forward is tough to guess.

And there are only four forward lines in hockey and teams that are successful care about all four of them. There were people here who thought, back when he was struggling, that Zacha could be a bottom six center. He’s a nonphysical complimentary scoring forward, sticking him in a checking role negates every positive quality he has while asking him to do what he’s terrible at. It’s the equivalent of putting McLeod on Nico’s wing. The third and even forth lines shouldn’t be seen dumping grounds for bad players (unless it’s a badly constructed team).

I accept that we can lose a useful guy to Seattle, that’s how the ED works. I’m not going to bitch and moan about years later (like a certain poster did about Merrill) but losing Bastian would genuinely suck and I would happily pay Uber XL for Merkley, Johnsson or Butcher to the airport if it would help ship them to Seattle instead. And, no, repeating Bastian’s scoring stats over and over doesn’t disprove this statement.

Frankly, I love Kuokk's game and I've made that clear on this site. I love Boqvist's too. And I'm getting to like Studenic and Merkley's.

I think it is all a game of armchair GM, where the guy is going through a Chinese dinner menu trying to build a team and looking for players of character, with high unrealized potential and high ceilings; guys who are low-risk and bring elements of the game that are hard to play against - and ... this part is important... although they may have a while to reach their potential, they are already contributors. Crowd pleasers don't hurt either. The guys in Vegas did a masterful job.

At the end of the day, I'm hoping we expose Subban, and that Seattle is attracted to all that glitters; and the words "you could have had Subban, and you chose Kuokkanen!?" ring thru their heads just before pushing a button.

Losing Subban would hurt... a little... but dangling a big fish out there to keep them off our younger, smaller, better, cheaper fish seems like a good strategy to me. Losing that contract wouldn't hurt either, even though we don't need to.

It's going to be really interesting.

Reactions: TheDuke93

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I would love to make a bet on if McLeod ends up better than Bobby Holik.

At this point in their career Holik already had 3 twenty goal seasons.

It’s not that McLeod can’t be effective it’s that Holik was very good.

McLeod will never be better than Holik. And the Crash line was mythic. That said, this line could be pretty good too as they are still just starting out.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Frankly, I love Kuokk's game and I've made that clear on this site. I love Boqvist's too. And I'm getting to like Studenic and Merkley's.

I think it is all a game of armchair GM, where the guy is going through a Chinese dinner menu trying to build a team and looking for players of character, with high unrealized potential and high ceilings; guys who are low-risk and bring elements of the game that are hard to play against - and ... this part is important... although they may have a while to reach their potential, they are already contributors. Crowd pleasers don't hurt either. The guys in Vegas did a masterful job.

At the end of the day, I'm hoping we expose Subban, and that Seattle is attracted to all that glitters; and the words "you could have had Subban, and you chose Kuokkanen!?" ring thru their heads just before pushing a button.

Losing Subban would hurt... a little... but dangling a big fish out there to keep them off our younger, smaller, better, cheaper fish seems like a good strategy to me. Losing that contract wouldn't hurt either, even though we don't need to.

Losing Subban would border on catastrophic considering our only other RD that is NHL caliber is Severson.

Reactions: My3Sons

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Subban is the perfect player for them. A useful to 4 defenseman that still has the name to draw a fans attention and is in the last year of his deal. If I was Seattle that’s who I would target

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would love to make a bet on if McLeod ends up better than Bobby Holik.

At this point in their career Holik already had 3 twenty goal seasons.

It’s not that McLeod can’t be effective it’s that Holik was very good.
After the stupid Guy Carbonneau induction into the HOF, Bobby Holik definitely is a HOF player.

I mean, I’m not serious that he should be in the HOF, just that he was much better than Carbonneau. He’s actually a pretty underrated player. He was even good with the Rangers, just not $8 or $9 million a year good.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
After the stupid Guy Carbonneau induction into the HOF, Bobby Holik definitely is a HOF player.

I mean, I’m not serious that he should be in the HOF, just that he was much better than Carbonneau. He’s actually a pretty underrated player. He was even good with the Rangers, just not $8 or $9 million a year good.

its probably partly the old boys club bias and the 3 selkes

Reactions: Bleedred

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Losing Subban would border on catastrophic considering our only other RD that is NHL caliber is Severson.

We just traded away Vats and Kulikov - so our defense is already a catastrophe if Murray walks.

Subban required babysitting with Kulikov or Murray all season - and I think it showed just how far he's fallen that those guys outshone him by a mile.

He isn't a rock upon which to build- and I think we could plug in almost any part there and probably do better from a defensive stability standpoint. We'd lose something offensively for sure, but considering his 19 points in 44 games, it isn't the Titanic.

I've got to think that first on Fitz's shopping list is making a deal to bring in a defenseman that some team doesn't want to expose and that's where I'd hang my hopes.

Just pure UFA; trying to steal Hamilton, Pionk, Barrie, Montour or even Ceci wouldn't suck if you are looking for a little offense. Carlo, Savard or Larsson :) wouldn't kill us either.

Face it - without signing or re-signing a free agent, we'll go into the season with either 3 or 2 legit NHL defensemen anyway. There's serious work to do - and:
1. Subban is legit untradable.
2. What we don't lose to Seattle we could package to get a starter.

At some point - some of these 'hopeful' tweener guys are going to have to go to return better pieces. We'll see that when Bratt and Zacha get back and you end up sitting someone like Maltsev.

I don't harbor alot of hope that ALL of Johnsson, Kuokk, Boqvist, Maltsev, Thompson, Studenic, Zetterland et al will be on this team. We're going to have to make space for Foote, Holtz and Mercer at some point. Those forward futures with options must net us a defenseman who is out of waiver options but is on the bubble for a good team.
Zacha Nico Bratt
Sharan Hughes Kuokkanen
Foote Boqvist Maltsev
Wood McLeod Bastian

Mercer? Holtz?

Assuming the above, that's really three slots for five or six guys if we don't sign anyone and I'd find it likely we try to get Palms or a better UFA sniper back to steal at least one job. (Kuokkanen's spot on the wing the most likely landing spot for Lil J*zzy.)

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Would some of the contracts include a time machine?

Martinook is only 28, his birthday is July, but he’s having a real down year despite playing with a resurgent Trocheck. Martinook is 6’0”, he decidedly shorter than Bastian, but he is 196lbs.

McGinn
He’s better defensively than Martinook and little younger, he’s 27 with a February birthday. He’s also 6’0” and 187lbs. He exists, it’s true.

Chiasson is as big Bastian, he’s 6’4” 208lbs. He’s also 30 with an October birthday. Not sure if you noticed but power forwards infamously don’t age well, there’s a big difference get one in his prime vs. picking up one post 30. Also, no one’s ever accused Chiasson of being particularly good defensively.

Bellemare - Not to harp on age too much but he turned 36 in March. And this type player is so plentiful that he got a two year deal at 35. And he’s 6’0” and 198lbs.

Offensive players get paid more, it doesn’t mean cheaper players who play different roles aren’t in demand. I’m not suggesting we bribe Seattle to keep Bastian or that he’ll be the jewel of their ED but he’s approaching his prime and he’s about to be the best version of himself in the next few years. And then he’ll be a UFA.

I'm not talking about signing any of these guys for multiple years, but to act like its hard to replace a 4th liner who can hit people is just nonsense. These guys are readily available year after year.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'm not talking about signing any of these guys for multiple years, but to act like its hard to replace a 4th liner who can hit people is just nonsense. These guys are readily available year after year.
He does more than that and they aren’t the equivalent player but ok.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
We just traded away Vats and Kulikov - so our defense is already a catastrophe if Murray walks.

Subban required babysitting with Kulikov or Murray all season - and I think it showed just how far he's fallen that those guys outshone him by a mile.

He isn't a rock upon which to build- and I think we could plug in almost any part there and probably do better from a defensive stability standpoint. We'd lose something offensively for sure, but considering his 19 points in 44 games, it isn't the Titanic.

I've got to think that first on Fitz's shopping list is making a deal to bring in a defenseman that some team doesn't want to expose and that's where I'd hang my hopes.

Just pure UFA; trying to steal Hamilton, Pionk, Barrie, Montour or even Ceci wouldn't suck if you are looking for a little offense. Carlo, Savard or Larsson :) wouldn't kill us either.

Face it - without signing or re-signing a free agent, we'll go into the season with either 3 or 2 legit NHL defensemen anyway. There's serious work to do - and:
1. Subban is legit untradable.
2. What we don't lose to Seattle we could package to get a starter.

At some point - some of these 'hopeful' tweener guys are going to have to go to return better pieces. We'll see that when Bratt and Zacha get back and you end up sitting someone like Maltsev.

I don't harbor alot of hope that ALL of Johnsson, Kuokk, Boqvist, Maltsev, Thompson, Studenic, Zetterland et al will be on this team. We're going to have to make space for Foote, Holtz and Mercer at some point. Those forward futures with options must net us a defenseman who is out of waiver options but is on the bubble for a good team.
Zacha Nico Bratt
Sharan Hughes Kuokkanen
Foote Boqvist Maltsev
Wood McLeod Bastian

Mercer? Holtz?

Assuming the above, that's really three slots for five or six guys if we don't sign anyone and I'd find it likely we try to get Palms or a better UFA sniper back to steal at least one job. (Kuokkanen's spot on the wing the most likely landing spot for Lil J*zzy.)
I whole heartedly disagree that Subban has been worse then either of Kulikov or Murray. His contract has literally no impact on how he should be viewed as far as performance. He has been our 3rd best defensemen all year and one of our better puck movers. Losing him would be much more of a disaster then losing a Murray imo. I really don't think Murray or Kulikov propped anyone up.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
He does more than that and they aren’t the equivalent player but ok.
Your point is that ZBC is underselling his impact. His point is that his impact doesn't matter enough that he would worry about losing Bastian and that there are players that available to bring the main trait that man on this board value in Bastian. That is his hitting. You value everything else he brings. So really you two are debating over two separate things and it is quite funny lol.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
It’s hard to find guys that play an energy game and hit people and don’t hurt you defensively. Just ask the Rangers who punted Brendan Lemieux’s ass across the country.

Bastian telling Skinner he’s overpaid was a great moment this year.

Wait, what? When? I need this. Like when Coleman mocked Kessel for eating too much.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It’s hard to find guys that play an energy game and hit people and don’t hurt you defensively. Just ask the Rangers who punted Brendan Lemieux’s ass across the country.

Bastian telling Skinner he’s overpaid was a great moment this year.
He’s one of best defensive forwards, as well as being a giant power forward, and some people on this board talk about him like he’s barely a step up from John Hayden. Hayden was not a giant power forward and not good defensively but he did hit people. One element is not enough. (Unless any of you miss John Hayden.)

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
He’s one of best defensive forwards, as well as being a giant power forward, and some people on this board talk about him like he’s barely a step up from John Hayden. Hayden was not a giant power forward and not good defensively but he did hit people. One element is not enough. (Unless any of you miss John Hayden.)
John Hynes does. I think it was a name/initials thing.

I’m on team Bastian. I know they eventually can’t keep everyone but it would be great to see the whole team grow. All the players mature into pros in each of their roles and contend. Kinda like that one team that’s good and contending and that other one, you know, the good one with all the players that score and win and stuff.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Well this is what happens, someone asked a question, who would you protect, Kukk or Bastian. Being Hfboards, you can't just choose one and be bothered by losing the other, you need to choose one and then paint yourself into a corner by downplaying the other player as much as possible to defend your choice. It's just easier to say why someone else's choice is wrong rather than why yours is right.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Well this is what happens, someone asked a question, who would you protect, Kukk or Bastian. Being Hfboards, you can't just choose one and be bothered by losing the other, you need to choose one and then paint yourself into a corner by downplaying the other player as much as possible to defend your choice. It's just easier to say why someone else's choice is wrong rather than why yours is right.
Listen your an idiot and wrong I am right and have NEVER been wrong!:sarcasm:

Reactions: trufleshufle13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad