Line Combos: Halfway Through the 8 Game Pre-Season, Who Are the Depth Players With the Strongest Cases to Make the Team?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Watching the games right now, I know a lot of people want Ekholm to mentor Broberg on a pair. I might get flagged on this one, but since Ekholm has experience on the right side at times, maybe he can mentor Nurse on the top pair too?

At the very least, we need someone to just stay at home on a pairing with Nurse.

Nurse never seemed to really have a proper mentor in the NHL, and as a result his game grew to be the erratic mess we see today.

Cody Ceci is the most reliable Dman he's ever had in his NHL career, and as a result, it's almost like he's just naturally developed his game to overcompensate, and he never seems to fully trust his D-partner which puts them both out of position. He's just out of sync with whomever he plays with, even short stints with Larsson.

Hard not to think Nurse might have become an elite #1 Dman if he learned the right way with a more seasoned partner.

I sort of feel like in some other universe Nurse needed someone like Damon Severson.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
John Forslund. Used to call games for the Carolina Hurricanes for over 20 years, even dating back to when they were in Hartford. He's also done national PbP for NBC and now TNT.
I enjoyed his call. His tempo and cadence was spot on.
Michaels hasnt figured that out and likely never will.
His call sounds phoney in comparison.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Until this pre season I've never heard of this Gleason guy. Gonna be interesting to see what we decide to do with him before the 11th.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Borberg looks very much like a player who just hasnt found his confidence. He looks tentative to me.
There is so much more he can give out there...he just needs to believe in himself.
He needs a mentor and Ekholm is the obvious choice.
That said I dont think that Broberg can handle top 4 minutes at this point in time.

Reactions: ujju2

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
He obviously had the inside track to start but I think it's fair to say Holloway has made the team. After him just a bunch of let downs at forward really. I'd probably lean Pedersen for the other spot just because he's the player who's long term development I care about the least.

VD is the odd player out on defense for me though I'm sure Woodcroft views it differently.

Campbell has probably earned the right to be considered the on paper starter if he counts for this thread.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Borberg looks very much like a player who just hasnt found his confidence. He looks tentative to me.
There is so much more he can give out there...he just needs to believe in himself.
That said I dont think that Broberg can handle top 4 minutes at this point in time.
I wish he had Akeys confidence.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He obviously had the inside track to start but I think it's fair to say Holloway has made the team. After him just a bunch of let downs at forward really. I'd probably lean Pedersen for the other spot just because he's the player who's long term development I care about the least.

VD is the odd player out on defense for me though I'm sure Woodcroft views it differently.

Campbell has probably earned the right to be considered the on paper starter if he counts for this thread.

The one thing VD has over them is that his best attributes are unique to the overall group in that he's gigantic, and he's pretty good on the PK. Considering they don't really see Bouch as an option on the PK and Ceci is probably only passable, VD becomes a lot more valuable to the team on the right side when it's time to kill penalties.

I also think in a zone system which it sounds like is the plan for this season, his good qualities will be more pronounced (size and physicality) and his bad qualities (speed and passing) less exposed. I'd be shocked if he's not in the final 7 opening day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
I've only seen the better part of 2 games but it goes without saying that the opposition gets better as the preseason progresses. It is unlikely that we'll see any more teams that are 50% or more of non NHLers. Rate each player vying for spots regardless of salary cap to this point.

RD
Broberg
Desharnais
Kemp

LD
Niemelainen
Gleason
Peters

RW
Bourgault
Lavoie

C
Sutter
Pederson

LW
Erne
Caggiula
Hamblin

Or just go #6 & #7D and #12 and maybe #13 forwards. Holloway should be a lock at this point.
From the original post, Bourgault, Peters, Sutter, Caggiula and Hamblin have all been released/sent down which leaves:

RD:
Broberg
Desharnais
Kemp

LD
Niemelainen
Gleason

RW
Lavoie

C
Pederson

LW
Erne

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Think the D as of today in Jay's eyes is still

Nurse Ceci
Ekholm Bouchard
Kulak Desharnais (by default basically, because RD + PK)

What Gleason has done is maybe earn himself the no.7 spot over Broberg. If he keeps playing well though then who knows. Which is probably no small feat considering no one knew who this guy was 2 months ago and Broberg is a top 8 pick.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I feel like I must've watched a different game last night, I thought the reaction here was going to be that Broberg locked up a spot over Desharnais.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
From the original post, Bourgault, Peters, Sutter, Caggiula and Hamblin have all been released/sent down which leaves:

RD:
Broberg
Desharnais
Kemp

LD
Niemelainen
Gleason

RW
Lavoie

C
Pederson

LW
Erne

Cam Dineen is still hanging around but the least likely of this list.

I feel like I must've watched a different game last night, I thought the reaction here was going to be that Broberg locked up a spot over Desharnais.

I think it's tainted by Gleason appearing to steal Broberg's lunch as I don't think there was ever a debate of either/or to make the team with PB and VD, just who'd play in games they dress 12/6.

One thing to consider is that Broberg still doesn't need waiver protection so it could be an easy move, though I really doubt Gleason being 25, undrafted with only 4 career NHL games all coming in 2018-19 is catching anyone's eyes except maybe a team he played against in this pre-season .

Reactions: brentashton

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Nurse never seemed to really have a proper mentor in the NHL, and as a result his game grew to be the erratic mess we see today.

Cody Ceci is the most reliable Dman he's ever had in his NHL career, and as a result, it's almost like he's just naturally developed his game to overcompensate, and he never seems to fully trust his D-partner which puts them both out of position. He's just out of sync with whomever he plays with, even short stints with Larsson.

Hard not to think Nurse might have become an elite #1 Dman if he learned the right way with a more seasoned partner.

I sort of feel like in some other universe Nurse needed someone like Damon Severson.
Nurse played with Larsson for a while, I’d say that was his most reliable partner. It wasn’t a great pairing.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Everyone around here comes out of every game having seen what they wanted to see.

Myself included I assume.

Reactions: nabob

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Fun thing with confidence is it can turn around very quickly in a good situation. Bouchard's pre- and post-TDL play is a great example of that.

Nurse played with Larsson for a while, I’d say that was his most reliable partner. It wasn’t a great pairing.

Imo Nurse needs a partner that likes to move the puck. Ceci and Larsson are happy to always defer to their partner to move the puck; and Nurse loves to lead the breakout, despite having average-at-best vision. Add in the fact his skating wasn't its usual level last year (fallout from last playoff's injury is my guess), so his usual get-out-of jail-free play wasn't available and it was a reciepe for poor, inconsistant play. The fact that Nurse and Ceci's boxcars look decent is a small miracle, espesically as they were buried going against elites, where percision is usually everything.

When he was with Barrie (and even Bear) breakouts were far more orderly because either Barrie(Bear) passed it out, or Nurse took advantage of the extra space (as teams couldn't key in on him) to skate it out.

My tiering for partners with Nurse goes:

1) Bouchard: Best passer and offensive defenceman on the team, Nurse is capiable of covering for him defensively and his puck rushing allows the pair to always get up the ice. Playing this role is what got Nurse 9mil in the first place.
2) Kulak: Plus skater, and is more than competant with the puck on his stick. You'd still see Nurse trying to do too much here, but Kulak actually has the speed and puck skills to be a good safety valve for him.
3) Broberg: Similar to Kulak, but just lacks the experence/confidence to not defer to Nurse all the time
4) Ekholm: You'd get the best out of Nurse, but it would remove the big strengh of the defence and its ability to have one of the them on the ice for 45+min.
1,000) Ceci: While decent defensively, his lack of speed and puck skills leads to Nurse trying to do too much. And unlike Kulak or even Broberg, he doesn't have the speed or the puck skills to get a derailing play back on track. Ceci would be better off playing full time with any of the other LHD still with the team, that includes Gleason and Niemo.
1,001) Vinny: Same as Ceci, but worse.

The two breakdowns I like for the defence are...

Nurse-Bouchard
Ekholm-Broberg
Kulak-Ceci

... with Kulak-Ceci doing a lot of heavy lifting. Or, one sililar to last year...

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Kulak
Broberg-Ceci

... where you have Ekholm and Bouchard stay together, Broberg-Ceci slide into Kulak-Vinny's role, and you continue to roast Nurse's pairing, but hope Kulak can mop up mistakes better than Ceci.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Fun thing with confidence is it can turn around very quickly in a good situation. Bouchard's pre- and post-TDL play is a great example of that.
For sure.
Playing along side a D partner who has a calming influence can do wonders for a young player trying to find his way. Right now Broberg looks to me like a player trying not to make a mistake.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Anyone think Gleason may be playing on this team later in the year?

For sure.
Playing along side a D partner who has a calming influence can do wonders for a young player trying to find his way. Right now Broberg looks to me like a player trying not to make a mistake.
Broberg needs to treat this like a high stakes game of Pickleball, and be super aggressive.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think he may be playing on this team on Wednesday given the injury situation.

Nurse - Bouchard
Broberg - Ceci
Gleason - Desharnais
I thought Ekholm was finally back at practice today? Mind you, that would be a very short turnaround for him to come into the lineup in 5 days.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Gary Bettman would be a solid depth additio to the dressing room, provided he wears a bathing suit in the shower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad