Line Combos: Halfway Through the 8 Game Pre-Season, Who Are the Depth Players With the Strongest Cases to Make the Team?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've only seen the better part of 2 games but it goes without saying that the opposition gets better as the preseason progresses. It is unlikely that we'll see any more teams that are 50% or more of non NHLers. Rate each player vying for spots regardless of salary cap to this point.

RD
Broberg
Desharnais
Kemp

LD
Niemelainen
Gleason
Peters

RW
Bourgault
Lavoie

C
Sutter
Pederson

LW
Erne
Caggiula
Hamblin

Or just go #6 & #7D and #12 and maybe #13 forwards. Holloway should be a lock at this point.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Kane-McDavid-Brown
Nuge-Drai-Hyman
Holloway-McLeod-Janmark
Foegele-X-Ryan
X

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Desharnais
Broberg

Skinner
Campbell

Regardless of what the actual lines and pairs look like, I think the above players are all locks to make the team. Which leaves only the 2 forward spots. So while a guy like Gleason has looked quite good to me, I don’t see a role for him beyond being the first AHL call up.

As for the two spots up front, one likely has to be a centre. At this point I’m even between the two options. I think Peterson has been a little bit better, while Sutter fills a bigger need. I think it’ll come down to the last few games of preseason. For the other spot, at this point I’m leaving Lavoie, partly because he’s been decent in camp, partly because I thought he earned a call up towards the end of last season, and partly due to his waiver eligibility.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Just from the way the line ups have been deployed and the way the media talks, feels like the roster has pretty much been set before a game was played.

I am guessing the lineup will be:

Kane - McDavid - Brown
RNH - Draisaitl - Hyman
Holloway - McLeod - Foegele
Janmark - Sutter - Ryan

Nurse - Bouchard
Ekholm - Broberg
Kulak - Ceci
VD

Skinner
Campbell

I haven’t personally seen much from Sutter but I think the team just wants a veteran 4C. I don’t think the team loves having young players out there. Holloway and Broberg are already pushing it.

Lavoie, Erne, Pederson etc would really have to go on a ride to change the above imo.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Just from the way the line ups have been deployed and the way the media talks, feels like the roster has pretty much been set before a game was played.

I am guessing the lineup will be:

Kane - McDavid - Brown
RNH - Draisaitl - Hyman
Holloway - McLeod - Foegele
Janmark - Sutter - Ryan

Nurse - Bouchard
Ekholm - Broberg
Kulak - Ceci
VD

Skinner
Campbell

I haven’t personally seen much from Sutter but I think the team just wants a veteran 4C. I don’t think the team loves having young players out there. Holloway and Broberg are already pushing it.

Lavoie, Erne, Pederson etc would really have to go on a ride to change the above imo.
This is how I see it, except I could see Lavoie sticking around and Holloway going down due to his waiver exemption to give lavoie a longer look before risking losing him on waivers.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Sutter takes the 4C if he remains healthy.
Broberg and Desharnais are the 6/7D. Broberg will have to play his way off the team. Holloway as well.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Haven't watched any preseason.

Is Lavoie playing better than Holloway?

I get the feeling Lavoie will hold more value if he passes through waivers.

If he's not a depth option over the guys we have, it's not like tons of other teams are willing to gift him a spot on their starting roster.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
me trying to figure out the cuts on defense...

1696096928000.png

Reactions: FlameChampion

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

If he's not a depth option over the guys we have, it's not like tons of other teams are willing to gift him a spot on their starting roster.
Holloway has outplayed Lavoie. Holloway has pretty much outplayed every bottom 6 and a vast majority of the top 6.

Lavoie has been fine. But no one’s really standing out. I think Lavoie has outplayed Sutter and Pederson personally but I think the team wants a center. And I think they like Sutter and Pederson more.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Not even close.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Six more cuts.

Pretty early cut for a guy with almost 300 nhl games in Caggiula. He looked pretty cooked though.
I didn't see him take the body at all yesterday. That was one of his calling cards when he started his NHL career here.
Yeah, I get the impression that the fans like Lavoie a lot more than the team does.
Same, when we were trotting out career AHLers on the top PP unit over him yesterday that pretty much told me that we don't see him as a player on the big team.

Reactions: FlameChampion

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Yeah, I get the impression that the fans like Lavoie a lot more than the team does.
Obviously it’s a long shot that he ever becomes a regular NHLer, and a really long shot for him to become a top 9 player, but I feel like we haven’t had the type of player he “could” become on this team in forever.

My hopes after JP was drafted were that we may finally have that big top 6 right handed shoot first player who can fire a one timer from the circle on the PP, or snap a shot off the rush and score and be equally dangerous, while also being big enough to cycle well or battle in front. With things not working out with JP, I’d like to find out if there’s any chance of Lavoie filling a similar role before giving up on him.

However I’m also well aware that most players who don’t even earn a cup of coffee in the NHL in their first 3 years of AHL hockey don’t suddenly become top 9 players at 23 years old, especially when our current roster leaves us with the only real spot being against Holloway who is a slightly lower cap hit, has NHL experience, and has been more productive in his short time in the AHL.

I’m rooting hard for the kid because of a need he could fill, but also understand the organization may see him as expendable at this point.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I didn't see him take the body at all yesterday. That was one of his calling cards when he started his NHL career here.

Same, when we were trotting out career AHLers on the top PP unit over him yesterday that pretty much told me that we don't see him as a player on the big team.
Caggiulia looked so finished yesterday. This was not the look of a player fighting to stay in the league. It was the look of a player that is toast.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I think broberg and Desharnais have made it. That last spot is between Erne and Lavoie with Lavoie getting the slight edge.

Reactions: gordonhught

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Time to start icing the full lineup basically.

The big question is 4C. I don’t see anyone that’s a great fit in that role. The wingers are fine, I like Holloway, Foegele, Janmark, Erne and Ryan. I don’t see Ryan as a center anymore and I’m not a big fan of Pederson so far.

Sucks not having McLeod so we can see how that 3rd line looks and just tinker with the 4th line, maybe toss Lavoie on one of the top lines for one game just because it’s preseason, maybe he surprises.

I see the bottom 6 something like this.. (hope I’m not forgetting anyone)

Holloway-McLeod-Foegele
Erne/Janmark-4C-Ryan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad