Injury Report: Hainsey

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I just don’t see why Babcock doesn’t give Holl a chance. Instead he goes back to Marincin who has been ok actually, but couldn’t crack the lineup last year

I mean it what a big deal to let Ennis sit for any length of time.....

Jimclar

Oct 4, 2018
I don't know why there is this hate for Hainsey, He's easily in the Leafs top six. When he's not playing (or the other five) that means Marincin and Holl are in.
At some time they are going to be injuries, so Marincin is going to be playing. Holl just me be the new Leivo. He sits all year. And how effective is any player if they sit a lot and then suddenly are thrown into NHL battle.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
The main reason for that is because of the system the Leafs have always played for some reason. Pre-Babcock they were a run-and-gun team (stretch passes) and now with Babcock they're much better but still a stretch pass team.

When Gardiner has time, that means the other team has time. They're all set up to block all the stretch passes. What options do the D have (not just Gardiner)? That's where Gardiner's issue comes in. He tries to force a stretch pass even under those circumstances which is not ideal.

At the end of the day, if the stretch pass is there to make, go for it. If not, like you’re eluding to, don’t force it. It takes skill and timing between both the passer and receiver to execute it properly. I find many of the Leafs’ skilled forwards have the quick instinct to react, hockey sense to position themselves and foot speed to accomplish a stretch pass reception, if the opportunity calls for it. Like good wide receivers on a football team racing up the field giving their quarterback a place and time to make their throw. It has to be timed perfectly between both the QB and receiver. Otherwise it’s intercepted or incomplete.

Gardiner is like a QB who can work his way out of a pressure situation with a quick toss, run or handoff when under pressure, but when he has a bit more time to throw down field, he is a fraction of a second out of synch with his receivers, and the pass intercepted or iced. He also has no idea what play was called, and his teammates often have no idea what he’s doing. It’s a recipe for some random pretty plays every once in a while, but some really bad, costly plays as well.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Kapanen played zero games in the NHL and we all knew he could obviously skate at an nhl level.

Obviously Holl isn’t on that kapanen skating level but the point is you don’t need a huge nhl sample to know if someone can skate at this level, and Holl can.
It is his skating and I never needed him to skate a game in the NHL. Same as I never needed to see Nielsen or Finn both worse for the same reason but none the less he is not good enough of a transition skater. Today’s game requires D man to be able to Transition from backwards to forward at a very fast speed and without an issue. He is slow on transition.

When we drafted Finn I stated we drafted him to high as he had skating issues was ripped apart on here. Same with Neilson and Percy. He is very similar to Percy in his skating.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't know why there is this hate for Hainsey, He's easily in the Leafs top six. When he's not playing (or the other five) that means Marincin and Holl are in.
At some time they are going to be injuries, so Marincin is going to be playing. Holl just me be the new Leivo. He sits all year. And how effective is any player if they sit a lot and then suddenly are thrown into NHL battle.

He's criticized for not being a top 4 d-man. If he were on the 3rd pair I doubt he would get as much hate. Personally have nothing against him. Just another in a long list of players forced to play too high in the lineup due to lack of talent in the system. I'm hoping that at some point this year Babs will have enough faith in Dermott to promote him to the top 4 and bump Hainsey down to the 3rd pairing.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He's criticized for not being a top 4 d-man. If he were on the 3rd pair I doubt he would get as much hate. Personally have nothing against him. Just another in a long list of players forced to play too high in the lineup due to lack of talent in the system. I'm hoping that at some point this year Babs will have enough faith in Dermott to promote him to the top 4 and bump Hainsey down to the 3rd pairing.
Babs tends to put a few players in positions that would be considered by most to be out of their element,I never seem to agree with some of his choices,but the team is having early success ,so shine on you crazy Babcock!

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Tampa Bay has to let in 14 goals in to catch up to Toronto. That's going to be the difference between winning and losing.
That's why Babcock is high on Hainsey. When you bring what the team is desperately lacking, you're going to get the ice-time.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
As much as he's trashed on, he's really not been that bad this year. I mean, the guy can barely skate anymore and has just 0 puck skills, but he's still good defensively and knows his limitations (always jusy defers to Rielly). Not his fault Babcock is an idiot and overutilizes him.

Zaitsev though? Needs to be fired into the sun. Guy is just plain trash.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Leafs looked pretty good with a few days of practice and time between games. No word on an injury to Hainsey? I imagine he’ll be in Saturday. 17 minutes a night would be good.

Best way to keep his ice time down to a reasonable amount is for the team to draw more penalties. (And take very little obviously)

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
People bagged on him cause he was super slow and not good for the beginning of the year but he's started to play better. So hopefully it's nothing that keeps him off the ice for too long so he can keep up his foot speed. Needs speed boost badly.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
So has he been confirmed hurt or anything yet? Supersized I haven't seen trade rumors yet :P

Jimclar

Oct 4, 2018
I think folks get caught in "top pair" nonsense. Hainsey seems to play well with Reilly. Zaitsev might be Dermot than Gardiner. But do you really want Gardiner with your weakest RHD?
I wonder about Gardiner status if the numbering system is used. He's seem to be a PP and even strength player. Babs doesn't use on the PK unless he forced to.
Last year people complained about the Leafs defence because they allowed too many shots. This year they have allowed fewer shots, so is their defence any better?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Give Holl a shot

He's on a two year, one way contract. The opportunity will come.

Going by yesterday's practice, good to see that Hainsey looks to be back in. Unfortunate that Dermott might not be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad