Injury Report: Hainsey

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Wait, what? That's probably his best attribute by far.
Sorry his transition skating is not up to snuff, which is an issue. It was his weakness in the AHL last year. His straight away skating is fine but when he has to transition it is slow and he has a hard time defending against a forward with average NHL speed never mind the fast skaters.

Reactions: DarkKnight

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sorry his transition skating is not up to snuff, which is an issue. It was his weakness in the AHL last year. His straight away skating is fine but when he has to transition it is slow and he has a hard time defending against a forward with average NHL speed never mind the fast skaters.

Yeah, no definitely not. His skating is by far his biggest pro. He's a smart guy defensively and plays a very safe defensive game. His problem is all when the puck is on his stick he has a hard time making a play and being able to win board battles because he plays like he's 130 pounds sometimes.

I've seen him play for 3 years with the Marlies and skating has never been a problem of any kind.

He's a depth defenseman, and definitely has his warts, but skating is not the problem.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
until I get info on a Hainsey injury I am going to assume he was pulled off of the ice because he missed a prostate exam.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens

Gardiner played amazing. His pair was the best pair easily.

I remember noticing that play as it happened, and reminding myself that Gardiner isn't all that bad in his own zone. I feel like when he has to make fast plays purely on instinct, he is quick and can make a decent play, like that example.

I find he often runs into issues when he has a little room, giving him the extra split second to make a play, and then he overthinks things, slows down too much, and gets burned.

Jake Jekyll and Hyde Gardiner.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
until I get info on a Hainsey injury I am going to assume he was pulled off of the ice because he missed a prostate exam.
If he "missed" his prostate exam, wouldn't he have been available for the third? And who would schedule a prostate exam for the third period of a road game anyway?

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I remember noticing that play as it happened, and reminding myself that Gardiner isn't all that bad in his own zone. I feel like when he has to make fast plays purely on instinct, he is quick and can make a decent play, like that example.

I find he often runs into issues when he has a little room, giving him the extra split second to make a play, and then he overthinks things, slows down too much, and gets burned.

Jake Jekyll and Hyde Gardiner.

The main reason for that is because of the system the Leafs have always played for some reason. Pre-Babcock they were a run-and-gun team (stretch passes) and now with Babcock they're much better but still a stretch pass team.

When Gardiner has time, that means the other team has time. They're all set up to block all the stretch passes. What options do the D have (not just Gardiner)? That's where Gardiner's issue comes in. He tries to force a stretch pass even under those circumstances which is not ideal.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
You sure?

Don't think so, I think he skates very well at the NHL level.
You sure?

He’s played all of two games at the NHL level, how we can gleem “very well” from that sample size escapes me.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
You sure?

He’s played all of two games at the NHL level, how we can gleem “very well” from that sample size escapes me.

Kapanen played zero games in the NHL and we all knew he could obviously skate at an nhl level.

Obviously Holl isn’t on that kapanen skating level but the point is you don’t need a huge nhl sample to know if someone can skate at this level, and Holl can.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Kapanen played zero games in the NHL and we all knew he could obviously skate at an nhl level.

Obviously Holl isn’t on that kapanen skating level but the point is you don’t need a huge nhl sample to know if someone can skate at this level, and Holl can.
Seriously Kap? We don't know what Holl can do a the NHL level. That's like me saying he could pot 82 goals a season if given the chance ;)

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Hainsey had a slow first couple games, but I think he was been one of our better D of late. We need him in the lineup with our suspect depth, prefer bottom pair, but that depends on others doing the job. I'm more worried about Zaitsev at the moment, and I generally defend the little things he does.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad