Post-Game Talk: Habs win over Avs 2-1

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Honorable mention to Jake Evans and the penalty kill unit that held the Avs off the scoresheet 3 times and never looked overwhelmed. I don't know what the coaching staff did to change things up on the PK but it's working. One reason this team has been involved in so many close games is the work or our centers, they have been good for most of the season.

I'm a fan of Evans. Didn't watch him game in and game out at Notre Dame, but when he joined Laval, he won me over. He started his rookie year as Laval's 4C and by the end of that year, he was their 1C. And then he established himself asn every day NHL'er. To watch him grow like that as a 7th round pick, you can't help but route for him.

He might not produce much, but the things he does are the kinds of things winning teams have in their line-up. He's not un untouchable by any means. But I'm not out here saying they need to move on from Evans. Habs have bigger fish to fry than dealing with Evans.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Habs will get a high pick regardless. I get that a 5th OA pick is better than an 8th OA pick, but if it's at the detriment of the young guys already there, I'm not interested in the higher pick. What I don't want happening is neglecting the young guys who are already there. Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Newhook, Guhle, Xhekaj, Struble, Primeau, Dach who is injured now, I think it's important not to forget their development also. Monty is older, but he's still establishing himself so his development counts, as well.

When I watch the way they played last night. The way they played in Edmonton. They went toe to toe with some of the big dogs of the league. Seattle wasn't their best game, but they still found a way to win it and hold onto the lead. Two weeks ago they pushed Boston to OT.

I remember last year, a lot of the post-game scrums, the young players were talking about them playing a good game and learning even after a loss. This year, I love that they are not happy with a loss. The expectation level among them has gone up.
There is no question in my mind that these young guys are serious about the game. They laugh and joke around, as they should, but they train hard and with to improve. We hear about the training they do. These guys want to win.

They are losing, but not getting blown out. Losing stinks but they see for themselves that they are typically always in the game. So without question for me, they talk about when Dach is back, that by next year there will be another year of improved play due to development for like 6 guys, and that more skilled players are coming. We have a good bunch. The culture being developed is good.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I'm a fan of Evans. Didn't watch him game in and game out at Notre Dame, but when he joined Laval, he won me over. He started his rookie year as Laval's 4C and by the end, he was their 1C. And then he established himself asn every day NHL'er. To watch him grow like that as a 7th round pick, you can't help but route for him.

He might not produce much, but the things he does are the kinds of things winning teams have in their line-up. He's not un untouchable by any means. But I'm not out here saying they need to move on from Evans. Habs have bigger fish to fry than dealing with Evans.
I was en route with him last night and the final destination was a win!:laugh:

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Armia probably played his best game last night as he controlled the boards in the offensive zone and just shrugged off defenders winning puck battles, particularly behind the Avalanche's net. The rush where he chipped the puck off the boards to himself and created a clear path to the opponent's net showed a high level of skill that we have, unfortunately, rarely seen during his tenure in Montreal.

If Armia could consistently play at a level like he did last night , he would be a solid second line player that we could build around, or even better, trade for high value at the next trade deadline.

If he can keep playing like that a 3rd line of Armia-Beck-Roy would be quite enjoyable.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
People who don't appreciate Jake Evans don't realize what 4Cs look like across the NHL.

He has a role, he does his role very well and he has enough offensive skill that plays don't die with him. Surround him with some better players 5 on 5 and he'll look even better. But his face-off skills and PK prowess are so valuable.

I think he's the long term answer at 4C for us.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
went to bed, but was a awesome win even though we need top 5 pick

I get conflicted on this

People who don't appreciate Jake Evans don't realize what 4Cs look like across the NHL.

He has a role, he does his role very well and he has enough offensive skill that plays don't die with him. Surround him with some better players 5 on 5 and he'll look even better. But his face-off skills and PK prowess are so valuable.

yes 4th line centre, kills off penalties for them very well

Reactions: Pazucha

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He is an enigma isn't he? We all can see what he is capable of,yet so often a lackluster effort and performance. The Armia of the last game is an Armia that would be welcome almost anywhere. Eyes must have opened more of late and it will be interesting to see what will unfold.
Over the past 3 months Armia has been one of the Habs best players. It is also paying dividends now on the PK.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Over the past 3 months Armia has been one of the Habs best players. It is also paying dividends now on the PK.
He was also very good with Perry and Staal during the playoff run until they came up against a much quicker team in Tampa.

Reactions: Tyson

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Honorable mention to Jake Evans and the penalty kill unit that held the Avs off the scoresheet 3 times and never looked overwhelmed. I don't know what the coaching staff did to change things up on the PK but it's working. One reason this team has been involved in so many close games is the work or our centers, they have been good for most of the season.
More than honourable mention for Evans, who, along with Armia and Newhook, gave us some ice presence after our top line.

It was interesting to hear that Evans has the second highest defensive zone , face-off win rate in the NHL this season. That all important skill was clearly noticeable when Evans cleanly won those last two defensive zone faceoffs with the Avalanche goalie pulled for an extra attacker.

Excellent, controlled game by the underrated Evans.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm not sure if last night was my favorite game of the year but it just might be.
Given everything swirling around Marty's return it will definitely be the most memorable.

So, looks like we have a serviceable center after all, especially if the team improves its talent at wing and transition game from defense.
I was told by the Avs Fan base he can't play center. Oh and he's completely soft and sucks in general. :popcorn:

Reactions: Redux91 and FloJack

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Best part of this win is that Anderson/Gally played under 13min a piece... Perhaps that'll put to rest the silly claims of MSL favoring or being "scared" to limit vets ice time
Gallagher had probably his best game of the season in terms of two way play.
He's still a step behind everything but Newhook's speed and ability to hold up pucks for Armia allows him to be more involved in the Ozone.
When he plays with Pearson forget it and Anderson just does flybyes.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I'm not sure if last night was my favorite game of the year but it just might be.
Given everything swirling around Marty's return it will definitely be the most memorable.

I was told by the Avs Fan base he can't play center. Oh and he's completely soft and sucks in general. :popcorn:
That's the trouble with viewing any player, especially a young first-rounder, as a snapshot rather than an animation. It can go quickly out of date.

Reactions: Rapala

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
There was even a fringe minority saying his skating wasn’t really that great. Good times.

As for Evans, I’ve always been a fan but he didn’t look too great last season and I was concerned he was playing himself off the team. This season he’s just simply been more, to my eyes at least. So it’s been nice comparatively to me.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Habs will get a high pick regardless. I get that a 5th OA pick is better than an 8th OA pick, but if it's at the detriment of the young guys already there, I'm not interested in the higher pick. What I don't want happening is neglecting the young guys who are already there. Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Newhook, Guhle, Xhekaj, Struble, Primeau, Dach who is injured now, I think it's important not to forget their development also. Monty is older, but he's still establishing himself so his development counts, as well.

When I watch the way they played last night. The way they played in Edmonton. They went toe to toe with some of the big dogs of the league. Seattle wasn't their best game, but they still found a way to win it and hold onto the lead. Two weeks ago they pushed Boston to OT.

I remember last year, a lot of the post-game scrums, the young players were talking about them playing a good game and learning even after a loss. This year, I love that they are not happy with a loss. The expectation level among them has gone up.
They've had this attitude since before camp even started and it was the young core group who talked most about it.
They really don't care what is written or said about them they believe that they can beat anyone.
This is one of the reasons I'm prepared to dump shit for nothing to bring in more young blood who think and play the same way.
We really need to start winning more games starting next season it's going to be worth far more than a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Has he finally come to terms with his role. He really spend the majority of last season fighting it.
It will be interesting to see how we surround him next season I'd still like to see much better Ozone time out of our fourth line.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Drouin is the same as he was in Montreal.. just has two better players to leach points off of.
He also had Gallagher Anderson and Armia (who was terrible at that time). You put mackinnon with those guys and I’m sure they’ll be better but Mackinnon would never be close to an MVP candidate. Drouin can’t carry guys like that especially Anderson and Gallagher. He was at a 50 point clip on average with Montreal or just under with those guys. When he was on the top line he was setting Suzi and Caufield up pretty regularly. Injuries were his issue along with his mental health. It’s just a fact. He’s not David copperfield hahah. He’s a really good player and even on that goal that went off of his stick he had good position on the guy out front but thanks JD lol. Just an opinion

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He also had Gallagher Anderson and Armia (who was terrible at that time). You put mackinnon with those guys and I’m sure they’ll be better but Mackinnon would never be close to an MVP candidate. Drouin can’t carry guys like that especially Anderson and Gallagher. He was at a 50 point clip on average with Montreal or just under with those guys. Injuries were his issue along with his mental health. It’s just a fact. He’s not David copperfield hahah. He’s a really good player and even on that goal that went off of his stick he had good position on the guy out front but thanks JD lol. Just an opinion

He's a player who needs to be forcefed top 6 ice time, great linemates and PP time to get moderate production out of him. Which is to say, even though his point totals are better in Colorado, he's not looking any different than he did while he was here.

I'm glad he's gone and I think Colorado will find the pain in the playoffs of having to use Drouin.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
He's a player who needs to be forcefed top 6 ice time, great linemates and PP time to get moderate production out of him. Which is to say, even though his point totals are better in Colorado, he's not looking any different than he did while he was here.

I'm glad he's gone and I think Colorado will find the pain in the playoffs of having to use Drouin.
Agreed. On his super small contract, of course they are happy with Drouin.

He is the same he was with us, but he didn't benefit from great players he can defer to completely.

Good for him that he is doing okay, but he didn't suddenly become a strong player. He just wasn't as bad as it looked towards the end in Montreal when his morale was completely shot.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Drouin has always been visible in no hitters. I like you am curious to see how he holds up in the post season.
We never got to see him play in our run.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad