Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Do we dare take a flyer on Samsonov?

No way.

We already have our own reclamation project in Korpisalo.

Unless we strike out on all of our options and just needed to sign whoever is left, I can't see it.

What Dorion thought Talbot was supposed to be is ironically what we need at minimum if a bigger name acquisition doesn't pan out. Someone who is a known quantity.

Markstrom would be an example based on available goalies. Someone who you know even in a bad season is going to be a .900 type goalie for 50+ games.

The ideal acquisition would be someone really good, or a star, but that's what easier said than done.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Staois deserves a f***ing parade if he gets Carlo, Cernak, Weegar or Parayko with Chychrun/the Chychrun return as the main piece

Parayko’s contract had the potential to be quite the boat anchor. Wouldn’t be crazy to move on from him if StL wants to retool and go younger.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Cernak is not as valuable as you all think he is. He was pretty terrible this season.

People are overreacting his value. His contract brings a lot of risk relative to his role. I suspect Tampa signed guys like him and Paul to long contracts because they now their core will be too old to win 4-5 years into them, so it doesn't matter if the back half doesn't age well.

If it was Chychrun for Cernak straight up, I would be fine with it but underwhelmed. Cernak is a better fit for us, but Chychrun with an extension should have more value.

Cernak is a luxury #4 type D unless he ends up having great chemistry with Sanderson, or playing with someone like Sanderson enables Cernak to play more minutes because of Sanderson's defensive ability.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Staois deserves a f***ing parade if he gets Carlo, Cernak, Weegar or Parayko with Chychrun/the Chychrun return as the main piece
I wonder if Chychrun's value around the league is as low as Sens fans seem to think it is.

He definitely had a rough season, but there is a reason Arz was able to get what they did from us. He did have a lot of value.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I highly doubt Weegar will be made available. If he is, he will cost way too much. Coming off a hell of a season, they just thinned out their D core, and he's on a good value contract with no pressure points atm.
I disagree.

I see no reason why Calgary wants to keep him during a rebuild. He is in his 30’s and isn’t gonna be a big factor for when they get good again. Already with 11M for the next 7 with JH why would you want to keep Weager?

Further, how many teams want to take him without any cash going back? And let’s say they absorb the whole hot like Ottawa can, what will their offer be?

I don’t see it. Same with Parayko. Early 30’s defender with lots of years left on the contract with teams not looking to take cap back.

I’m not saying they’ll pay us to take him. But I doubt the price is much higher than BOS 1st

Reactions: Bileur

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I wonder if Chychrun's value around the league is as low as Sens fans seem to think it is.

He definitely had a rough season, but there is a reason Arz was able to get what they did from us. He did have a lot of value.

And it's not like this was a classic case of "Dorion being Dorion" because it was widely reported that Arizona had better offers on the table but wasn't in a position to retain and/or take money back.

I think what hurts Chychrun more than contract status is the fact he never hit the ground running in Ottawa and despite the goal totals never really looked comfortable. Maybe that gives GM's pause but he was a highly regarded guy league wide as recently as a year and a half ago.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
People are overreacting his value. His contract brings a lot of risk relative to his role. I suspect Tampa signed guys like him and Paul to long contracts because they now their core will be too old to win 4-5 years into them, so it doesn't matter if the back half doesn't age well.

If it was Chychrun for Cernak straight up, I would be fine with it but underwhelmed. Cernak is a better fit for us, but Chychrun with an extension should have more value.

Cernak is a luxury #4 type D unless he ends up having great chemistry with Sanderson, or playing with someone like Sanderson enables Cernak to play more minutes because of Sanderson's defensive ability.

I wouldn't be happy at that straight swap. Chychrun is a better defenseman even if people bash on him for not being as physical as they expect him to be.
Tampa fans who aren't homers can clearly see Cernak's decline. If people are risk averse over Chychrun being 'injury-prone', I don't know how they'll feel about Cernak.

Reactions: HSF

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
In what world is even a declining Cernak worse defensively than Chychrun?

Chychrun is one of the most gym rat players in the league but plays softer than a marshmallow

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I wouldn't be happy at that straight swap. Chychrun is a better defenseman even if people bash on him for not being as physical as they expect him to be.
Tampa fans who aren't homers can clearly see Cernak's decline. If people are risk averse over Chychrun being 'injury-prone', I don't know how they'll feel about Cernak.

He's a RHD shot, has ideal size, plays that hard shutdown game that teams want come playoff time.

He's also a complimentary piece who is a 2nd pairing guy at best who has $36+ million left on his contract so teams would obviously be leery adding him.

He's certainly a a real interesting case because his value to GM's is probably quite different than it is to fans.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I disagree.

I see no reason why Calgary wants to keep him during a rebuild. He is in his 30’s and isn’t gonna be a big factor for when they get good again. Already with 11M for the next 7 with JH why would you want to keep Weager?

Further, how many teams want to take him without any cash going back? And let’s say they absorb the whole hot like Ottawa can, what will their offer be?

I don’t see it. Same with Parayko. Early 30’s defender with lots of years left on the contract with teams not looking to take cap back.

I’m not saying they’ll pay us to take him. But I doubt the price is much higher than BOS 1st
Well, I'm not the gospel on what is and isn't, but I feel extremely confident in that one. I've had my hand slapped by hordes of Flames fans for even suggesting he's available for anything but an overpayment.

For starters, he's coming off a 20 goal, and most productive season of his career, while bringing solid defensive play, so there's no argument he isn't earning his keep. He's over earning it atm.

They aren't fully rebuilding in the scorched earth trade every f***ing body like Melnyk, it's more of an in flux rebuild, and they have other expiring contracts to prioritize over the next 1-3 years, including their 2nd best d man in Andersson in 3 years that may leave a big hole. They're obviously not prepared to completely tank it and Conroy said the goal continues to be playoffs. You don't do that by trading away your best dman. And yes I absolutely do think the salary is a non issue, because Weegar overachieves his salary and JH not earning his is a separate issue.

I think the Flames brass knows what Dorion didn't, in that having quality vets throughout can be a huge factor to the success of your rebuild. Potentially a necessary one. I do think there may come a time for him to be moved, but there's zero pressure points on it atm and they have other guys expiring to deal with and holes to fill. They just dealt 2 of their top 4 dmen and their other guy expires from a sweetheart deal in 3.

I guess that no money coming back could be a factor that gets Ottawa to the head of the line if he is made available, but I don't see that as a motivating factor for the Flames. They extracted good value on Lindholm by taking back 2 years salary in Kuzmenko and hope for a resurgence. I don't think cash/cap savings is their priority, so that's more about us.

I will take that bet. Absolutely no way he could be had for a late 1st. Boston 1st + a guy like Greig imo. IMO even more, but I won't go there.

In the end, I think if he is dealt, it will be at his request.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Cernak is exactly what we need. I don't see Tampa moving him unless they have other RHD's ready to move up.

Like a lot of Russians Sergachev can play his off-side, plus Perbix and Raddysh are pretty decent.

Would be very happy with a Chychrun for Cernak swap, but I don't see it happening regardless.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

My comment is more about Cernaks value being surprisingly high

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

The same reason Chicago was able to get so much from us for DBC :laugh:

In seriousness, his value is without a doubt tiers lower than it was a year ago. I'd be more than happy with a 30th overall alone at this point

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The same reason Chicago was able to get so much from us for DBC :laugh:

In seriousness, his value is without a doubt tiers lower than it was a year ago. I'd be more than happy with a 30th overall alone at this point
I agree his value has dropped, but Arz reportedly got better offers that involved taking money back which they preferred not to do,

Idk what we will be able to get for him, but I do feel like we're a bit jaded on this from the DeBrincat situation. If Chychrun is willing to go to multiple teams that are interested, we should get a solid return, if he only wants to go to one place, we're screwed.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Would you guys trade Batherson for Cernak?

Batherson 26 yrs
4 more years at $5 million

26 yrs (6’3” 230 lbs RD)
7 more years at $5.2 million

Cernak seems to miss games every year, some talk of his play tailing off a bit this year, but he is only 26.
Batherson is pretty close to untouchable for me BUT this is exactly/only the kind of deal in which I’d trade him.

A guy on the Tampa board countered with this deal.
I think I’d do it, and then look for a winger on the market/also convert Norris to wing.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Wow just going backwards through the thread, and a bunch of Cernak talk - and from the looks of it I’m going to get yelled at lol

I think people are undervaluing him but wtf do I know.
Batherson for Cernak
Chychrun for Ullmark
Find a winger in UFA

My offseason.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

Batherson 26 yrs

26 yrs (6’3” 230 lbs RD)

Cernak seems to miss games every year, some talk of his play tailing off a bit this year, but he is only 26.
Batherson is pretty close to untouchable for me BUT this is exactly/only the kind of deal in which I’d trade him.

I think I’d do it, and then look for a winger on the market/also convert Norris to wing.
I wouldn’t. I think Batherson has too much upside, we would likely come to regret it.

It’s also a weird year in that there are a bunch of RDs available in free agency, so I think we will have other ways of acquiring someone. And then you add Cernak’s injury history to it all and it’s just not worth it.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
It’s Weager or Parayko and either Dumba or Tanev this off-season. Book it. What the pieces are lord knows. But that’s what it’ll be. One long term vet and one short term vet.
Yeah blues are not trading parayko not at all. Book it.

Reactions: GCK

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Batherson 26 yrs

26 yrs (6’3” 230 lbs RD)

I really wouldn’t. I like Cernak and would easily move Chychrun + for him. He has the snarl we are missing in our top 4.

Batherson however, really responded to Jacques and staff post DJ and I’d like to see where that leads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad