GDT: Habs vs Oilers, April 21 @ 8pm MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
The funny part is that they actually have a pretty good team, which could come to nothing because of goaltending. I think several of their fans were convinced Campbell wouldn't come back to earth.

Everytime they have a goalie step in/debut and overachieve, they think that goalie is going to be good forever

They did this when Reimer burst onto the scene, Raycroft a solid 1st season, so they blew their loads trading a 1st rounder for him (who turned out to be Tuuka Rask :laugh: )and even in the 80s n 90s, they thought Allen Bester would be their saviour in net when he was having a cup of coffee in the NHL.

I'm sure there are other examples I'm forgetting or unaware of lol

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Lol @ TML forum.

Campbell is 11-2-1 and suddenly their goalies all suck ass and will be the sure downfall of the season.

The internet, man. My god :facepalm:

Reactions: Duke74

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Lol @ TML forum.

Campbell is 11-2-1 and suddenly their goalies all suck ass and will be the sure downfall of the season.

Honestly I would be worried if I was a fan. They can’t seem to get out of the first round (to be fair Boston and Columbus are brutal first round matchups). Who knows what’s going on with their goaltending. Campbell’s never been a starter. Andersen is probably so ready to be a ufa. Rittich hasn’t recovered since the stick flip and Hutchinson is a AHL goalie. I think Montreal will be a tough first round matchup for them. (Assuming they stay first).

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Hab fans are still insufferable after Monday's loss. They still think their team plays a clean game and have potential, just bc the league didn't step in and hand out fines or suspensions. I want the Oilers to come out hitting and hitting hard in this one. I want to see lots of hits that are right on the line of clean/dirty, kinda like Byron's head shot on Jones. I wanted to see Habs v Leafs in the first round, but now I could care less if the habs make the playoffs, especially since they don't deserve it. Glad this season is almost done. Sick of playing these garbage eastern teams so often.

If RNH is back tonight, I think Tippett needs to get him back into game shape and get Drai going (against the habs) so I would expect DRY to be together. Not sure if Archie or Kassian line up next to Connor. I'd rather see them together on the third line, but McDavid should have someone that hits hard with him, outside of Jesse. Turris and Ennis ain't it.

I'd start Smith again tonight and Koskinen/Stalock next week against the Jets.

Still have Khaira in mind. Even if the guy doesn't play another NHL game, I hope the best for him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lol @ TML forum.

He's been hurt and they really don't know the extent of his injury. He's been shit the past 4 games

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2021-4-21_11-22-54.png

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Honestly I would be worried if I was a fan. They can’t seem to get out of the first round (to be fair Boston and Columbus are brutal first round matchups). Who knows what’s going on with their goaltending. Campbell’s never been a starter. Andersen is probably so ready to be a ufa. Rittich hasn’t recovered since the stick flip and Hutchinson is a AHL goalie. I think Montreal will be a tough first round matchup for them. (Assuming they stay first).
This is the same season they’ve played pretty much every year. Around middle of the year the fans declare themselves cup champions, the team slowly falls apart at the end of the season bringing some panic, they maintain they will get back on track for the playoffs, boom first round exit. It’s going to be extra sweet this year if it happens

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
U guys want some entertainment, go on the Leafs board after that loss last night. They are in complete meltdown. I think they seriously thought they would win cup this year
They don't care about 1st anymore, since there is no fans for home ice anyway

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
When is Kulikov able to play? Merril (MTL) is already back from quarantine.

I think his quarantine technically ends either today or tomorrow.

We'll probably see him in the lineup on Monday along with McLeod whose quarantine ends on Saturday/Sunday.

Reactions: ujju2

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
If Nuge isn't available we better be seeing Ennis.

I still stand by what I said earlier this month. Kyle Turris should never don an Oilers jersey again. He f***ing blows.

Reactions: Snipes45

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Lagesson-Larsson, ideally.

Lagesson is hugely overrated by this board. He ran a PDO heater for like 2 weeks and everyone thought he was the best thing since sliced bread.

Jones destroys him in CF%, xGF%, etc.

If I had my druthers I'd experiment with either Larsson or Bouchard playing LHD.

Then send out:

Nurse-Bear
Kulikov-Barrie
Larsson-Bouchard

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Lagesson is hugely overrated by this board. He ran a PDO heater for like 2 weeks and everyone thought he was the best thing since sliced bread.

Jones destroys him in CF%, xGF%, etc.

If I had my druthers I'd experiment with either Larsson or Bouchard playing LHD.

Then send out:

Nurse-Bear
Kulikov-Barrie
Larsson-Bouchard

Nah, advanced stats are hugely overrated by this board ;)

In all seriousness I don't think anyone here likes Lagesson because of his PDO (whatever that means). We like him because he defends well and hits hard. And Larsson shouldn't be playing on the left side imo, I'd rather keep him where he's played well all season on the right. I don't dislike Jones either, but Jones-Larsson has never worked.

Reactions: Duke74 and The Nuge

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Nah, advanced stats are hugely overrated by this board ;)

In all seriousness I don't think anyone here likes Lagesson because of his PDO (whatever that means). We like him because he defends well and hits hard. And Larsson shouldn't be playing on the left side imo, I'd rather keep him where he's played well all season on the right. I don't dislike Jones either, but Jones-Larsson has never worked.

Yes and no.

PDO is kind of a measurement of luck or how much a player may appear better than they actually are. PDO is the player's SH% added to their team's SV% while that player is on the ice.

Since Lagesson hasn't scored his PDO was completely due to his goalie's SV%. It was running between .990 and .980. During all this time he was getting crushed in shot attempts by the opponents which means his form was not sustainable.

If you go back and watch the last 4 or so games Lagesson played you'll notice that the warts in his game become more and more noticeable. Specifically, his lack of speed and puck-moving ability hurt the team on several occasions (most noticeably against MTL) and either led to a goal or forced Larsson to bail him out.

I'd much rather have Jones's puck-moving and offence on that bottom pairing. Especially since that pairing will be sheltered from playing a team's top players.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yes and no.

PDO is kind of a measurement of luck or how much a player may appear better than they actually are. PDO is the player's SH% added to their team's SV% while that player is on the ice.

Since Lagesson hasn't scored his PDO was completely due to his goalie's SV%. It was running between .990 and .980. During all this time he was getting crushed in shot attempts by the opponents which means his form was not sustainable.

If you go back and watch the last 4 or so games Lagesson played you'll notice that the warts in his game become more and more noticeable. Specifically, his lack of speed and puck-moving ability hurt the team on several occasions (most noticeably against MTL) and either led to a goal or forced Larsson to bail him out.

I'd much rather have Jones's puck-moving and offence on that bottom pairing. Especially since that pairing will be sheltered from playing a team's top players.

I agree with the bolded, I definitely did notice that. And I didn't mind giving Jones the chance in his place as a result. But I simply don't like Jones-Larsson as a pairing. One of the reasons for that is that Larsson, as good as he is defensively, isn't particularly adept at defending 2-on-1s, and Jones has a tendency to make bad pinches. Either way, despite weaker games at the end, I think overall Lagesson played well enough (and improved enough from his stint last year) to deserve another shot.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad