Value of: Habs Summer UFA Signings

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Duchene might be good for fantasy league, but 8M$...

upload_2019-3-11_15-5-59.png

If Suzuki has a successful summer practice there is no need for a risk like that.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Suzuki I am fairly positive will be a winger in the NHL.

I'd be surprised if the organization were that dumb. Moving him to wing handicaps some of the best parts of skillset. Doesn't make much sense for them to do that. With his excellent playmaking, top notch hockey IQ and solid skating to not use him up the middle would be puzzling.

Why do you think they would do that?

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I'd be surprised if the organization were that dumb. Moving him to wing handicaps some of the best parts of skillset. Doesn't make much sense for them to do that. With his excellent playmaking, top notch hockey IQ and solid skating to not use him up the middle would be puzzling.

I've read a few articles that some experts see him there. Although he seems to have a great hockey IQ, i think he is very lethal on his own. I think the experts are seeing that freeing him from "center responsibilities" would let him focus on producing. I think the habs like what they see in KK and Poehling, so he will probably end up on a wing to one of their trios.
Although i agree with this assesment, Mackenzie doesn't agree, in this great podcast
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/mckenzie-don-t-keep-suzuki-around-as-winger-1.1175687

TrapGod Jr

Apr 22, 2017
We all know Habs need a puck moving LD, a Center and probably a backup
Goalie unless Lindgren fills that role.
Considering all these players hit free agency july 1st.
Which ones would you sign? Be realistic loll

*Keep in mind we might see Suzuki & Poehling or even Brook & Fleury

Fantasy: Potential unrestricted free agents in 2019
FORWARDS
Artemi Panarin, LW, CBJ
NHL.com rank: 18
Jeff Skinner, C/LW, BUF
NHL.com rank: 37
Joe Pavelski, C/RW, SJS
NHL.com rank: 39
Matt Duchene, C, CBJ
NHL.com rank: 58
Anders Lee, LW, NYI
NHL.com rank: 111
Joe Thornton, C, SJS
NHL.com rank: 127
Gustav Nyquist, LW/RW, SJS
NHL.com rank: 129
Wayne Simmonds, RW, NSH
NHL.com rank: 135
Justin Williams, RW, CAR
NHL.com rank: 141
Kevin Hayes, C, WPG
NHL.com rank: 168
Brock Nelson, C/LW, NYI
NHL.com rank: 185
Mats Zuccarello, RW, DAL
NHL.com rank: N/A (INJ.)
Marcus Johansson, LW, BOS
Micheal Ferland, LW/RW, CAR
Ryan Dzingel, LW/RW, CBJ
NHL.com rank: N/A
Jordan Eberle, C/RW, NYI
Derick Brassard, C/LW, COL

DEFENSEMEN

Erik Karlsson, SJS
Alexander Edler, VAN
NHL.com rank: 190
Jake Gardiner, TOR

GOALIES

Sergei Bobrovsky, CBJ
NHL.com rank: 78
Robin Lehner, NYI
NHL.com rank: 106
Semyon Varlamov, COL
NHL.com rank: 122
Curtis McElhinney, CAR
NHL.com rank: 137
Petr Mrazek, CAR
NHL.com rank: 151
Brian Elliott, PHI
NHL.com rank: 161
Mike Smith, CGY
NHL.com rank: 174
Cam Talbot, PHI

Last edited:

TrapGod Jr

Apr 22, 2017
Is Duchene really a locker room cancer? I would sign him for 8.5Mx8 not more but only the GMs know if the rumours about him are true (the uber vid did not help) I think some other team will give him the big bucks though.

My alternative would be Kevin Hayes at 6Mx4. We lack size and he can put up 45-50 pts while being responsible defensively... but im pretty sure he'll resign in WPG.

I just can't stand Danault on the 1st line, we can't have another year with him there.

I would definitely try to sign Gardiner at like 6-6.5M for 6 years even though he's not elite. Our LD depth blows for years to come except Mete but he'd fit way better on the left of Petry.

Lets wait and see what Lindgren can do for us. It would be a great bargain.

If it doesn't work I'd trade for a backup during next season. (at the deadline)

Would be nice to get rid of Alzner somehow. Lehkonen+Alzner for whatever

Would also look for an improvement on Benn. I would have traded him at the TDL for picks.

Priority would be LD... if we can't get a center at a decent price i'd try and sign a cheap RW Sniper short term to play on the 1st. I think Suzuki and Peohling will need some time in the AHL. (30 games at least)

A)Drouin-Hayes/Duchene-Domi
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-KK-Armia
Evans-Poehling-Shaw

Gardiner-Weber
Mete-Petry
Benn-Kulak (Juulsen?/Fleury)

Price-Lindgren
B)Drouin-Domi-Williams (if he doesn't retire)
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-KK-Armia
Lehkonen-Poehling-Shaw

Weber and Price keep getting older so we have to make moves during their prime.

I have to admit it doesn't look like a lineup of a contender.

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Is Duchene really a locker room cancer? I would sign him for 8.5Mx8 not more but only the GMs know if the rumours about him are true (the uber vid did not help) I think some other team will give him the big bucks though.

My alternative would be Kevin Hayes at 6Mx4. We lack size and he can put up 45-50 pts while being responsible defensively... but im pretty sure he'll resign in WPG.

I just can't stand Danault on the 1st line, we can't have another year with him there.

I would definitely try to sign Gardiner at like 6-6.5M for 6 years even though he's not elite. Our LD depth blows for years to come except Mete but he'd fit way better on the left of Petry.

Lets wait and see what Lindgren can do for us. It would be a great bargain.

If it doesn't work I'd trade for a backup during next season. (at the deadline)

Would be nice to get rid of Alzner somehow. Lehkonen+Alzner for whatever

Would also look for an improvement on Benn. I would have traded him at the TDL for picks.

Priority would be LD... if we can't get a center at a decent price i'd try and sign a cheap RW Sniper short term to play on the 1st. I think Suzuki and Peohling will need some time in the AHL. (30 games at least)

A)Drouin-Hayes/Duchene-Domi
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-KK-Armia
Evans-Poehling-Shaw

Gardiner-Weber
Mete-Petry
Benn-Kulak (Juulsen?/Fleury)

Price-Lindgren
B)Drouin-Domi-Williams (if he doesn't retire)
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-KK-Armia
Lehkonen-Poehling-Shaw

Weber and Price keep getting older so we have to make moves during their prime.

I have to admit it doesn't look like a lineup of a contender.

Don't think we have the cap space to sign both Duchene and Gardiner. Maybe Hayes and Gardiner would do cap wise but it would not be my plan.

I would sign Duchene yes but doing so would push Domi back to lw. Then i'd use Drouin to go get a top 3 lhd of similar age like Brodin or Nurse (i know we would add). If Suzuki is ready, he could fill the spot on the rw on the top 9.

Domi-Duchene-Suzuki
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-KK-Shaw
Lehkonen-Poehling-Armia

Nurse/Brodin-Weber
Mete-Petry
Benn-Juulsen
Kulak

Price
Lindgren

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Two words..........Marc Bergevin...total a$$clown.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I don't think Duchene to Montreal will happen. I hope Gardiner to Montreal will not happen.

I'd like to see the Habs going after Hayes and trading a prospect (Poehling or Suzuki) for a top 4 left D. They also need a quality backup which shouldn't be that hard to find.

Bargainbin Bergevin likes to add to his fourth line so expect some depth signings.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I don't think Duchene to Montreal will happen.
I hope Gardiner to Montreal will not happen.

I'd like to see the Habs going after Hayes and trading a prospect (Poehling or Suzuki) for a top 4 left D. They also need a quality backup which shouldn't be that hard to find.

Bargainbin Bergevin likes to add to his fourth line so expect some depth signings.

Alzner 2.0 if that happens.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Bergevin wouldn't be shifting around players positions, Julien would. Either way, I don't think either one of them would look at Suzuki and his skillset and decide that he'd be better as a winger.
Beregevin has been known to insert himself in that world......ask most fans of the team.

Let's hope Suzuki is put in a position to succeed, no matter who makes the decision.

Reactions: Aurinko

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
nobody significant will want to come....thats the problem

Problems from the past. We don't know what players think today cause our youth is solid and we stand to rise based on the prospects we will insert moving forward. It's been a very long time since the Habs have centers like Domi, Kotkaniemi, and Danault and a top prospect pool.

Our ability to sign key UFA players might not change but it could. Lets face it, how many key UFA players became available in the past? Looks like that trend is changing. Tavares last year and maybe Karlsson, Duchene, Panarin, etc this year.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Beregevin has been known to insert himself in that world......ask most fans of the team.

Why would I ask fans of the team? How on earth would they possibly know the inner-workings of discussions alleged to happen between Bergevin and Julien?

If you think a coach with the experience and pedigree of Claude Julien is being told what position to play guys in you are hilariously naive.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
Problems from the past. We don't know what players think today cause our youth is solid and we stand to rise based on the prospects we will insert moving forward. It's been a very long time since the Habs have centers like Domi, Kotkaniemi, and Danault and a top prospect pool.

Our ability to sign key UFA players might not change but it could. Lets face it, how many key UFA players became available in the past? Looks like that trend is changing. Tavares last year and maybe Karlsson, Duchene, Panarin, etc this year.

It's funny that you mention problems from the past and Tavares in the same post, as it was just last off season that Tavares refused to even listen to a Bergevin phone call. You are going to be one very disappointed Habs fan if you expect any of the elite UFAs you listed to sign with the team.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Let's hope Suzuki is put in a position to succeed, no matter who makes the decision.
Want to show us ONE example of where Bergevin has told the coach where to play a player.With fact not rumor.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Want to show us ONE example of where Bergevin has told the coach where to play a player.With fact not rumor.
No one has ever heard where an underling has taken orders from their boss....nope never happens!! lol

The blatant example is MB saying when he told everyone, that Galchenyuk was a winger until further notice, on the same day Julien told the media he woud get a shot a the centre position. lol

Bergevin...total a$$clown.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
If we can get Gardiner on a reasonable price tag I’d take a swing at him. Would only want limited term though.

6 x 4 years perhaps?

I’d throw money at Panarin as well but I doubt he wants to come to Montreal.

Otherwise let’s hold and see what develops next year. Our prospect pool is deep and I’d like to see how Poehling, Suzer, Brook, Romanov develop.

No interest in trading any of those players

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
No one has ever heard where an underling has taken orders from their boss....nope never happens!! lol

The blatant example is MB saying when he told everyone, that Galchenyuk was a winger until further notice, on the same day Julien told the media he woud get a shot a the centre position. lol

Bergevin...total a$$clown.
And Chucky play C the next game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's funny that you mention problems from the past and Tavares in the same post, as it was just last off season that Tavares refused to even listen to a Bergevin phone call. You are going to be one very disappointed Habs fan if you expect any of the elite UFAs you listed to sign with the team.

Many different things factor into circumstance of where players sign. Our team direction was different last off season vs how it will look this off season. If Tavares was not a Ontario boy, would he of signed with the Habs? Who knows.

Disappointed if no impact player signs with us? I think not. I'm not some 10 year old kid. I know our history of not being able to sign key impact players in free agency. My point was our team direction and prospect pool is different than it was before so this might change things.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Habs have shown content not spending to the cap and sitting 10+M under.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad