Value of: Habs Summer UFA Signings

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
I know its a bit early... but with the lack of deadline action for the Habs, and the intriguing amount of cap space they’ll have, below is what I suspect (my thoughts only) they will attempt to accomplish.

1. Trying to sign Matt Duchene long term
2. Trading one of the prospects + picks for a top 4 LD
3. Signing Gustav Nyquist

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
1. Duchene will either sign with Nashville or Montreal. NSH for 8.5 x 7, MTL for 9.5 x 7.
2. I could see Bergevin going for Fowler, but we'll have to see!
3. I think this will actually happen. Nyquist is great friends with Tatar, and could easily get 6 x 7 with MTL.

The most likely scenario though is Habs sign Bouwmeester for 4.5m x 4 years (yup...) or Jake Gardiner for 7m x 7 years, and a couple of 4th line/AHL scrubs. And the "big prize" would be Nyquist or Duchene (if he accepts to go to MTL over NSH).

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
1. Duchene will either sign with Nashville or Montreal. NSH for 8.5 x 7, MTL for 9.5 x 7.
2. I could see Bergevin going for Fowler, but we'll have to see!
3. I think this will actually happen. Nyquist is great friends with Tatar, and could easily get 5.5-6 x 7 with MTL.

The most likely scenario though is Habs sign Bouwmeester for 4.5m x 4 years (yup...) or Jake Gardiner for 7m x 7 years, and a couple of 4th line/AHL scrubs. And the "big prize" would be Nyquist or Duchene (if he accepts to go to MTL over NSH).

I think giving Nyquist that kind of contract would be a biiiiig mistake but going for Fowler would be a good call and I wouldn't be shocked at all if they land him

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Doesn't Duchene already bought an house in Nashville ? To do "AirBNB"

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Gardiner would actually be a good fit but with him being the top LD on the market he's going to get big time overpaid. If they can trade for Fowler or someone along those lines and sign Zuccarello around 5 million I'd be jazzed

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Habs biggest need.............is a new GM. If we could get Stevie Y that would be great.

As for ufa's they will have the money...does anyone want to go there??

Yes, I'm coming to the conclusion that Bergie is incapable of the next level of player acquisition we need. Enough time has been wasted with his learning to be GM. We need results and we need them fast and furious. How could anyone not be impressed with what Yzerman has done in the GM chair. No more GM meeting jester.

Reactions: CapSpace and BLONG7

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Yes, I'm coming to the conclusion that Bergie is incapable of the next level of player acquisition we need. Enough time has been wasted with his learning to be GM. We need results and we need them fast and furious. How could anyone not be impressed with what Yzerman has done in the GM chair. No more GM meeting jester.

What happened to the reset/rebuild/retool everyone was screaming for last year?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
1. Trying to sign Matt Duchene long term

My guess is their will be like 10 teams in on Duchene. As an Islanders fan I would love to sign him, even more then Panarin(who I think we actually have a better chance of getting) but I am not banking on it

On a side not assuming Duchene signs elsewhere I hope Nashville then maybe we can make a trade for Turris

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
If I was a gm I wouldn't touch Duchene even with a 10 feet pole.

Ye plusminus is worth nothing, but if you're constantly on bottom of your team there is something seriously wrong. Team that will pay 7-8M for him is automatically anchored to the bottom. Based on the high value acquisitions that the Habs have recently made, there is no chance they would go for him for that price.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't see them getting Duchene, don't think he'll be worth what it will take to sign him.

Don't have any interest in Nyqvist, don't think he's a real fit or need.

I don't do anything if I'm the Habs unless I'm 100% confident that I can do a major upgrade of the blueline. That left side is just way too weak for them to be playoff contenders imo.

Is Fowler the answer? First why would the ducks trade him year 1 into his 8 year deal? Then he's got a 4 team trade list, so hard to believe the Habs would be one of those 4. Then you have to ask yourself if he's worth taking on that major cap hit/money for the next 7 years.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
We have some A prospects coming up. Why clog up spots?

Hopefully MB learned his lesson and doesn't go after Gardiner.

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
Gardiner would actually be a good fit but with him being the top LD on the market he's going to get big time overpaid. If they can trade for Fowler or someone along those lines and sign Zuccarello around 5 million I'd be jazzed
Don’t think Gardiner is a good fit at all. Julien would have an ulcer with that kind of defensive play. I think if they go for an offensive defenseman, they’ll look for more of a two-way option.

Reactions: stanley25

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
I don't see them getting Duchene, don't think he'll be worth what it will take to sign him.

Don't have any interest in Nyqvist, don't think he's a real fit or need.

I don't do anything if I'm the Habs unless I'm 100% confident that I can do a major upgrade of the blueline. That left side is just way too weak for them to be playoff contenders imo.

Is Fowler the answer? First why would the ducks trade him year 1 into his 8 year deal? Then he's got a 4 team trade list, so hard to believe the Habs would be one of those 4. Then you have to ask yourself if he's worth taking on that major cap hit/money for the next 7 years.
I actually agree that I don’t think Nyqvist is a fit or need, in that we have many guys like him already (middle 6ers). If I had my way, I’d get another Armia type... which is why if the Lehkonen for Burakovsky rumors were true, I’d be upset.

Reactions: BabyPanda

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I actually agree that I don’t think Nyqvist is a fit or need, in that we have many guys like him already (middle 6ers). If I had my way, I’d get another Armia type... which is why if the Lehkonen for Burakovsky rumors were true, I’d be upset.

There aren't any rumors. That's what the Caps asked.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
A smart move, since no big RFA is to be signed for another 2-3 years in all likelihood, would be to use said cap space in an overpay, short term deal.

(Say Gardiner for example who may seek 6 years at 6.5M AAV. I'd try to go and sign him for 2 years at 8.5M AAV). That way the team wouldn't carry a cap hit burden for many many years if things don't workout. (And salary can easily be retained to trade the player away if need be.)

Don't think Duchene goes back to Canada.
Nyquist is a winger, so doubtful he gets more than a 4 years deal taking him to 34 years old.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad