Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Jiri Sekac (2 years)

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You can have that opinion with no problem. But dont start saying really stupid things like "I could do as much". That sort of ignorant talk just makes the whole room stupider, and you really come across as someone with no clue whatsoever.

I have no problem with you referring to me as "stupid":laugh::laugh: we are not face to face so you can get away with that one. I do maintain however that 3.5 for 30 points is a bit excessive and if Eller only gets 30 this year it will be interesting to read the posts about it all.:)

PricePkPatch*

I have no problem with you referring to me as "stupid":laugh::laugh: we are not face to face so you can get away with that one. I do maintain however that 3.5 for 30 points is a bit excessive and if Eller only gets 30 this year it will be interesting to read the posts about it all.:)

That opinion is fair and valid. You boasting you would get 30 points this year is ridiculous, as i am certain Parros is a better hockey player than you.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

- Only 39 centers in the NHL last season had 50 points or more
- Only 64 centers in the NHL last season had 40 points or more
- Only 91 centers in the NHL last season had 30 points or more

Centers that made around $3.5M with 30-40 points last season:

- Rich Peverley (30 points, $3.25M, 30 years old)
- Patrik Berglund (32 points, $3.25M, 25 years old)
- Matt Stajan (33 points, $3.5M, 29 years old)
- RJ Umberger (34 points, $4.6M, 31 years old)
- Derek Roy (37 points, $4M, 30 years old)
- Sam Gagner (37 points, $4.8M, 23 years old)
- Vincent Lecavalier (37 points, $4.5M, 33 years old)
- Matt Cullen (39 points, $3.5M, 36 years old)
- Artem Anisimov (40 points, $3.38M, 25 years old)
- Martin Hanzal (40 points, $3.2M, 25 years old)
- Jordan Staal (40 points, $6M, 24 years old)

Eller is right there with Patrik Berglund, who got an extension this summer as well. Berglund was awarded $3.7M AAV for his 32 point season.

Hopefully that takes you out of your 1990s mindset.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
3.5 million is about the going rate for complimentary top six, or middling top nine forwards during UFA years, essentially the 4-5th to 7-8th forwards on your depth chart.

Complimentary top 6 forwards (A Kost was a great example) will get the kind of minutes necessary to score at 0.5+ points per game, including the 2nd unit PP time to get close to double digets on power play points and get a boost to even strength production by playing with better talent.

Guys who play third line like Eller don't get the pp or linemate advantage, so a similar amount of offensive skill to a 0.5 point per game 2nd line winger probably only scores around 0.33 point per game as a 3rd unit player.

This is the big reason for the supposed top six/bottom six dichotmy in forward scoring. Its typically not that big a gap in talent as it is a gap in opportunity.

So what kind of production is expected out of a 3.5 million dollar talent is going to vary a lot according to what position in the lineup he is going to play. If Eller was playing 2nd line you should expect 40-50 points in 82 games out of him for that salary. But if he isn't playing that role you have to adjust expectations accordingly.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Very excited to see what this guy brings...

Does he slot in at RW or LW????

Bournival - Eller - Sekac would be interesting to me

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I have been a Habs fan for at least 35 years and you do not need to define a bottom feeder player for me. I have seen quite a few of them wear the CH in that time frame. What does amaze me however is the way that they are valued while wearing our jersey as opposed to the way they are seen by the rest of the league in terms of talent.

We have always expected our goalies to be all world but the rest of the team not so much. Not talking out of my ass here but how many of you can look back and say that we are even a playoff team last year without Carey Price in net and the way he stood on his head? Or other great "playoff runs" with the likes of Jaroslav Halak, Patrick Roy or Jose Theodore and Steve Penney standing on their collective heads.

I've never understood the rationale of singling out a player - often a goalie - and then acting as if a team relying on that player somehow diminishes the team's accomplishment.

How many Stanley Cups would the Penguins have won in the early 90's without Mario Lemieux? Would the Anaheim Ducks have made the playoffs last year without Ryan Getzlaf? How good would the LA Kings be without Drew Doughty?

It's such a silly argument. All of those guys are members of their respective teams ... what's the problem with a club relying on members of their team? Countless times in the late 80's and early 90's I heard people say "Where would the Canadiens be without Patrick Roy?" As if somehow they were less of a team because they relied on a superstar goaltender for a lot of their success.

Also - just out of curiosity - how were you able to be a Canadiens fan and simultaneously you were able to see the team from the perspective of the fans of all other teams in the league to figure out how they were perceived "in terms of talent?" (Better yet, who cares? Why does it matter how the players on any team are perceived in terms of talent by fans of other teams? How is that relevant to anything at all?)

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I've never understood the rationale of singling out a player - often a goalie - and then acting as if a team relying on that player somehow diminishes the team's accomplishment.

How many Stanley Cups would the Penguins have won in the early 90's without Mario Lemieux? Would the Anaheim Ducks have made the playoffs last year without Ryan Getzlaf? How good would the LA Kings be without Drew Doughty?

It's such a silly argument. All of those guys are members of their respective teams ... what's the problem with a club relying on members of their team? Countless times in the late 80's and early 90's I heard people say "Where would the Canadiens be without Patrick Roy?" As if somehow they were less of a team because they relied on a superstar goaltender for a lot of their success.

Also - just out of curiosity - how were you able to be a Canadiens fan and simultaneously you were able to see the team from the perspective of the fans of all other teams in the league to figure out how they were perceived "in terms of talent?" (Better yet, who cares? Why does it matter how the players on any team are perceived in terms of talent by fans of other teams? How is that relevant to anything at all?)

I feel that we often over hype the players that play here and we have had some elite, Lafleur, Shutt, Robinson etc and many before those but that was then. Since the end of the Habs 70s dynasty we have in large part been a struggling middle of the road team, yes we have 2 cups since then but based on the history of what we were, the team has really struggled to recapture any of that glory. There has always been hope but most of it has fell on the shoulders of goaltending( See how Price has been scrutinized) and not the talent in front of him. It has been this way for a long long time. When was the last time we had anyone that was consistently mentioned as a star caliber forward? Pacioretty maybe? When Vanek came, this place was on fire, why? Maybe because many other fans were excited to to have a high profile forward, a game breaker if you will. Maybe I am harsh on our players but I truly feel that outside of Subban, Price and Patches, there has not been many top tier players here for quite some time and lots of bottom 9 guys filling spots where they don't belong. I have hope however with Bergevin at the helm that things are/will get better.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Galchenyuk
Sekac-Plekanec-Gallagher

That's what I want to see during training camp . Sekac and Plekanec are probably buddies by now.

I wouldn't oppose it, only issue is Galchenyuk would be moved to a position he hasn't played in the NHL yet. I think Eller-PAP should be a duo. Of all the wingers, I think PAP'll help Eller's offensive game develop the most - something that's unlikely to happen with Bourque/Moen/Prust/etc as wingers.

Sekac-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Parenteau

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I wouldn't oppose it, only issue is Galchenyuk would be moved to a position he hasn't played in the NHL yet. I think Eller-PAP should be a duo. Of all the wingers, I think PAP'll help Eller's offensive game develop the most - something that's unlikely to happen with Bourque/Moen/Prust/etc as wingers.

Sekac-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Parenteau

That would be my preferred lineup as well, mostly because it finally puts Galchenyuk on a purely offensive line ( witch is a necessary step in his development in my mind) . He has a great wrister that he doesn't use nearly enough ( And more often than not misses the net with) and if the staff can put it into his head to shoot more I can see great success on the horizon for him. Show him a bunch of tapes of Kovalev doing the 'outside-inside screened shot rushing in from the wing'' move and have him practice it till he can hit the net in his sleep. He even has the size to attack the net from the right wing a la Cole.
As for Sekac, I believe he stated before that the left wing is his preferred position and it would allow him to be paired up with Pleks witch might be a plus. Gally is descent defensively so the three of them could face some of the (hopefully reduced with Malholtra on the team) tough assignment that Plecky usually gets, Sekac being a KHL version of the Selke winner and all ( Said award may or may not actually exist).

Last edited:

Game

Sep 18, 2010
Montreal, Qc
If Sekac feels comfortable on the LW, all the better. Bourque has said it himself numerous times that he prefers the RW. Therefore, during the pre-season I'd like to see these lines:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Parenteau
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Sekac-Plekanec-Bourque
Prust-Malhotra-Weise/Moen/Goon

Markov-Gilbert
Emelin-Subban
Beaulieu/Tinordi-Weaver

The first line has potential. The chemistry between Desharnais and Pacioretty is undeniable. Parenteau is familiar with his buddy Desharnais, as well as being an excellent play-maker (more options for Patches)

The second line, is the kid line. Watching these three play together last year was exciting. Eller and Galchenyuk have potential to break out this year. Some consistency here could be the answer.

Third line is interesting. Sekac is an unknown, thus difficult to judge his impact. Bourque from the playoffs would be nice. However, Pleks would be surrounded with two 6'2 200lbs players on his wing, which is interesting. Both wingers have size, speed and some decent skills. This could work.

The fourth line will be good defensively. Might be able to chip in offensively on occasion (bonus). I still believe we should sign a tough guy for insurance (Westgarth or Bissonette are still available)

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
It looks to me like Sekac and Bournival will be battling for the same roster spot on the 3rd/2nd line LW. I love Bourni but if he found his offensive game a bit in the AHL that'd be a huge bonus. On the other hand, if Bourni wins the spot there is no harm in letting Sekac adjust in the AHL. At the very worst one will be 13th forward/1st call up. It'd be a shame to have to keep one of these guys off the roster but it isn't going to hurt either of them.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Patches - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
DD - Eller - Parenteau
Sekac - Plek - Bourque
Prust - Malhotra - Weise

I want to see Therrien try DD on the wing.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004

Sekac-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Parenteau
That's exactly the same Top 9 I had in mind, we have to try Galchenyuk at RW, I'm sure he would be dynamite with those 2.

A combination of Bournival-Malhotra-Weise-Moen-Prust for the 4th would give us good depth and they would push each other to be better.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I think PLeky should play with PA as he is always playing with damn garbage. Hes got to be tired to be playing with Moen who can't score 4-5 goals a year. Give this guy two wingers and he is gonna produce and gonna get his usual 20 goals year too. PLus galchenyuk gets quality top 6 playing time with PP time.

Galchenyuk-Pleky-Parenteau
Pacioretty-DD-Gallagher
Sekac-Eller-Bourque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad