Rumor: Habs open to trading the #3 pick?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I don't see Philly doing that. And Montreal wanted to draft Morin.

Maybe Sanheim and #50.
True but I think they were in love with his size more than his skill and he doesn't appear to have progressed very well - I don't watch him so can't say for sure
We have 4 2nds, can't see them dropping below mid-1st as MB will need to have some very good pieces to show if he trades 3OA

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
True but I think they were in love with his size more than his skill and he doesn't appear to have progressed very well - I don't watch him so can't say for sure
We have 4 2nds, can't see them dropping below mid-1st as MB will need to have some very good pieces to show if he trades 3OA

Well I could see the Flyers absolutely loving Tkachuk. I don't know if they would deal Sanheim and #19 for him though. I think Nashville is proving how valuable 4 stud defensemen are. Sanheim is definitely part of Philly's future top 4 with Provorov, Gostisbehere, and one of Myers / Morin.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I don't see Philly doing that. And Montreal wanted to draft Morin.

Maybe Sanheim and #50.

thats a hard no.

Im not even sure i see The Habs doing the 14th + Sandheim. The only move I could see is a drop of 3-5 sports that still gived them extra assets and one of the centers available. At 14th, Wahlstrom and Kotkaniemi are likely long gone.....

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Well I could see the Flyers absolutely loving Tkachuk. I don't know if they would deal Sanheim and #19 for him though. I think Nashville is proving how valuable 4 stud defensemen are. Sanheim is definitely part of Philly's future top 4 with Provorov, Gostisbehere, and one of Myers / Morin.
Funny our fans biggest fear is we take Tkachuk. I wouldn’t trade Sanheim either

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
As a Rangers fan, I would even do 9, 26, and Devils pick (probably around low 40’s).

That's pick #48

I love the idea of grabbing BPA and a guy like Zadina or possibly even Svechnikov. However, Hab fans and Montreal media have Bergevin in a tough spot if he doesn't address our teams needs (especially at Center)

The 9th gives us options like Kotkaniemi, Wahlstrom, Veleno, and even LD Hughes. The #26 and #48 also solidify our pool of prospects.

The two big questions marks are:
1) Is Zadina/Svechnikov at a whole other talent level
2) Can we get a better package from one of the other teams wanting to move up

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
That's pick #48

I love the idea of grabbing BPA and a guy like Zadina or possibly even Svechnikov. However, Hab fans and Montreal media have Bergevin in a tough spot if he doesn't address our teams needs (especially at Center)

The 9th gives us options like Kotkaniemi, Wahlstrom, Veleno, and even LD Hughes. The #26 and #48 also solidify our pool of prospects.

The two big questions marks are:
1) Is Zadina/Svechnikov at a whole other talent level
2) Can we get a better package from one of the other teams wanting to move up

I would want to try a deal for pick 5-7ov to be sure Kotkaniemi was there but I feel he may be there at 9. I think there's going to be quite a run on defencemen after the first three picks. If not, I like Veleno.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Nobody's going to give them a #1C for that pick so it doesn't make any sense for them to move it. Take BPA and move on.
Yeah just make sure it's the 19th draft in a row where this club isn't getting any top centers. Make sure you turn around and tell fans it's okay because even Toews isn't a #1 center after that. That'll work great for season ticket sales.

Nikohab

Nov 16, 2017
Keep 3OA pick and try to get Schevnikov or best D possible. Trade Patch for a top 10 pick and draft best player available (Whalstrom- Kotkeniemi- Hayton). Package Shaw + and get a pick 15 to 20. I would take advantage of this deep draft and squeeze out as many young talents as we could in order to compete in today`s young NHL which is about speed and skill.

Reactions: haveandare

member 157595

Yeah just make sure it's the 19th draft in a row where this club isn't getting any top centers. Make sure you turn around and tell fans it's okay because even Toews isn't a #1 center after that. That'll work great for season ticket sales.

I'm not sure what you're saying. If you're implying that Molson doesn't care about rebuilding and would rather scrape together consistently mediocre 1st round playoff fodder, I completely agree. If he cared about true contention he would have long since fired Bergevin and made tough decisions to add the best possible hockey people regardless of language (and then stayed out of their way), but he doesn't have the courage, conviction or hockey intelligence to do any of these things.

No one is intentionally giving up a young, proven #1 center for a maybe. Montreal fans understand this just as much as anyone else, but Bergevin clearly doesn't understand the center position since he thinks Drouin is a C.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Zadina is not a good Canadian boy.

In the Bergevin era, Montreal has drafted a Canadian exactly once in the 1st round. They've drafted two Russians and three Americans.

And Zadina has "Character" and "Attitude" for days, plus he plays in Montreal's backyard. I don't know that Montreal would take him, but not being a "good Canadian boy" wont be the reason why not.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
In the Bergevin era, Montreal has drafted a Canadian exactly once in the 1st round. They've drafted two Russians and three Americans.

And Zadina has "Character" and "Attitude" for days, plus he plays in Montreal's backyard. I don't know that Montreal would take him, but not being a "good Canadian boy" wont be the reason why not.
I'm just joking around, stereotypes and all. Should have added a sarcasm smiley in my post.

In all seriousness, the best thing Montreal should do is draft at #3 and build something rather than try to patch their team up by trading that pick for a veteran.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Keep 3OA pick and try to get Schevnikov or best D possible. Trade Patch for a top 10 pick and draft best player available (Whalstrom- Kotkeniemi- Hayton). Package Shaw + and get a pick 15 to 20. I would take advantage of this deep draft and squeeze out as many young talents as we could in order to compete in today`s young NHL which is about speed and skill.

Patches likely isn't worth a top 10 pick - his playoff numbers are concerning and he's almost 30 with only 1 year left on his contract. He'd be more likely to get a mid-late 1st.

You're going to need a really good asset to go along with Shaw to get a pick in the 15-20 range.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Why do people think Montreal is going to take Tkachuk? The answer is Zadina easily imo.

People assume based on Bergevin's comments that he wants someone with the right Character/Attitude and weirdly assume that Zadina doesn't have a ton of Character/Attitude.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
this is very far off. what team is looking for shaw and his contract with a first rounder. Also 1 year of max is not worth a top 10 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad