Speculation: Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Last thread at the max, continue here.

Orpik is a mainstay on their blueline. Wouls had like the Habs to draft him instead of Komisarek few years ago.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1395353

Loooots of Pens fans bashing Orpik's play this year, suggesting he should be a healthy scratch. Sounds like he's their defense version of Moen, to be honest.

Could be a good buy-low candidate...or someone we want to avoid altogether, heh.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Ryan Murray, CBJ.

Would likely cost a fair bit (Eller + Leblanc+ Montreal 2nd) but why settle for second-rate past their prime players.

Ryan Murray is a top end prospect, why exactly would Columbus trade him? Makes no sense. He's not a target.

A few guys we might be able to get for cheap are Ryan Whitney and Rob Scuderi (although aging).

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Ryan Murray is a top end prospect, why exactly would Columbus trade him? Makes no sense. He's not a target.

A few guys we might be able to get for cheap are Ryan Whitney and Rob Scuderi (although aging).

Seems we still don't understand MB's modus operandi. Core solutions will come from within, additions from the outside will typically be complementary.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
  • Sacrifice a good young forward and a pick for a #1.5 - 2 d-man to do what Markov isn't able to do anymore. Then sign the new guy for 3 years.
  • Try to sign Clarkson.
  • Package something to get Jan Hejda and Bordeleau from Colorado, or any other combo of hard hitting d-man + 12-13-14th forward heavyweight who can play 4-7 minutes a game.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Ryan Murray, CBJ.

Would likely cost a fair bit (Eller + Leblanc+ Montreal 2nd) but why settle for second-rate past their prime players.

Well. Not that I wouldn't be jazzed to get Murray, I just don't think he's the right fit at the moment. He didn't play at all this year, highly doubt he's ready for the NHL. We really need help on defence next year, seems people are pushing for a top 4 or a tough #5. Sounds ridiculous but maybe a Komisarek-Markov reunion?

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
Okay, don't shoot me but here is what i would do where possible:

Buyout Kaberle 4.2
Trade Gionta (Columbus will need forwards) 5.0
Trade Bourque 3.3 and Desharnais 3.5(Columbus or Nashville)
Trade Moen 1.8 and White .7

Not sure why Desharnais was signed so soon but we have to make room for Galchenyuk and Eller at Center. Pleks is our best player.

Cap spacewould be approx. 23 million. New line-up:

Stalberg (FA) 2.0 Pleks Hossa 5.3 (Chicago is in big cap trouble)
Clowe (FA) 4.5 Eller Gally
Patches Galchenyuk Dupuis (FA) 3.0 (other options are Jagr,Clarkson, Fillpula)
Prust Dumont/Bournival Bickell (FA) 1.2
Nystrom (FA) 1.5

Add either Bieksa 4.6 or Doug Murray (FA) 2.5. Vancouver is in cap trouble also.

We get alot bigger and tougher but do not lose any speed.

Dare to dream.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I keep saying it but ill say it again. We need a big shut down defenseman that we can throw in to close out games, play the PK and shut down the other teams top forwards and clear the crease. Fighting is a bonus but not looking for a goon, just one tough sob.

Missing Emelin has really changed the look of our defence and the team as a result. Can't have enough toughness on the back end.

Some ideas are guys like Scuderi, Stuart, Orpik etc. I don't pretend to be an NHL scout but I'd definitely want guys of that ilk to fill in the D and teach our prospects like Tinordi, Pateryn, Thrower etc to develop.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
  • Sacrifice a good young forward and a pick for a #1.5 - 2 d-man to do what Markov isn't able to do anymore. Then sign the new guy for 3 years.
  • Try to sign Clarkson.
  • Package something to get Jan Hejda and Bordeleau from Colorado, or any other combo of hard hitting d-man + 12-13-14th forward heavyweight who can play 4-7 minutes a game.

I'd posted this on the other thread before it closed. Any interest in Seabrook as a 1.5?

The Habs won't struggle under the cap this summer, unlike several teams with lots of defensive depth. From the sounds of it, Chicago fans have been quite unimpressed with Seabrook this year. Apparently he's been outperformed by Hjalmarsson, thus making Hjalmarsson a no-trade and Seabrook a possibility (to the fans at least). His contract is 5.8mil until 2016-2017. He's big, tough, offensively reliable, 27yrs old. He is one of the best defenceman in the league but, perhaps not this year from the sounds of things. What would it take to get him? Chicago needs a cheap #2 Center, likely a cheap defenceman in return and perhaps bottom 6 wingers. What can be made around the following? Is there interest for Montreal giving up real assets?

Desharnais (1mil retained) + Emelin/Diaz + xxx

or

Eller + Diaz/Emelin + xxx

or

Plekanec + xxx

For a little bit smaller deal, Boston will also struggle to stay under the cap and may leave some players unsigned. With Soderberg potentially filling his spot, any interest in Jordan Caron? Tainted goods and Boston will likely try and retain him. What would we be willing to pay? He's big, could play 4th line if needed, projects to be 3rd line ~20+20.

Kyle Beach is a risky RFA from CHI. Very poor attitude, scored 52 goals in the WHL, tough enough, pretty big. His stock has dropped considerably but may benefit from a change of scenery.

Last edited:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
  • Try to sign Clarkson.

Pretty much what this team needs stated clearly.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I'd posted this on the other thread before it closed. Any interest in Seabrook as a 1.5?

The Habs won't struggle under the cap this summer, unlike several teams with lots of defensive depth. From the sounds of it, Chicago fans have been quite unimpressed with Seabrook this year. Apparently he's been outperformed by Hjalmarsson, thus making Hjalmarsson a no-trade and Seabrook a possibility (to the fans at least). His contract is 5.8mil until 2016-2017. He's big, tough, offensively reliable, 27yrs old. He is one of the best defenceman in the league but, perhaps not this year from the sounds of things. What would it take to get him? Chicago needs a cheap #2 Center, likely a cheap defenceman in return and perhaps bottom 6 wingers. What can be made around the following? Is there interest for Montreal giving up real assets?

Desharnais (1mil retained) + Emelin/Diaz + xxx

or

Eller + Diaz/Emelin + xxx

or

Plekanec + xxx

For a little bit smaller deal, Boston will also need to make moves to stay be under the cap. Any interest in Jordan Caron? Tainted goods and Boston will likely try and retain him. What would we be willing to pay? He's big, could play 4th line if needed, projects to be 3rd line ~20+20.

Kyle Beach is a risky RFA from CHI. Very poor attitude, scored 52 goals in the WHL, tough enough, pretty big. His stock has dropped considerably but may benefit from a change of scenery.

Would not trade Pleks. DD and or Eller would be offered up.

Bergevin needs to start shopping Gionta after the season though.

JMMR

Mar 21, 2006
Ottawa
Okay, don't shoot me but here is what i would do where possible:

Buyout Kaberle 4.2
Trade Gionta (Columbus will need forwards) 5.0
Trade Bourque 3.3 and Desharnais 3.5(Columbus or Nashville)
Trade Moen 1.8 and White .7

Not sure why Desharnais was signed so soon but we have to make room for Galchenyuk and Eller at Center. Pleks is our best player.

Cap spacewould be approx. 23 million. New line-up:

Stalberg (FA) 2.0 Pleks Hossa 5.3 (Chicago is in big cap trouble)
Clowe (FA) 4.5 Eller Gally
Patches Galchenyuk Dupuis (FA) 3.0 (other options are Jagr,Clarkson, Fillpula)
Prust Dumont/Bournival Bickell (FA) 1.2
Nystrom (FA) 1.5

Add either Bieksa 4.6 or Doug Murray (FA) 2.5. Vancouver is in cap trouble also.

We get alot bigger and tougher but do not lose any speed.

Dare to dream.

If you add Doug Murray you lose oodles of speed.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
We should target Jack Johnson and Grant Clitsome. Our D needs an overhaul.

Overhaul? Gorges, subban, Emelin and Diaz seem to be in the long term plans. Markov will play out his contract, and bouillon will be a 6-7th dman.

They really only need 1 addition to act as a stop gap before beaulieu, tinordi, pateryn or whoever is ready for the next step

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Well. Not that I wouldn't be jazzed to get Murray, I just don't think he's the right fit at the moment. He didn't play at all this year, highly doubt he's ready for the NHL. We really need help on defence next year, seems people are pushing for a top 4 or a tough #5. Sounds ridiculous but maybe a Komisarek-Markov reunion?

I don't see why he wouldn't be NHL ready, he was the most NHL ready player (except maybe Yakupov) at the draft and a year of maturity would just be a bonus.

Bringing Murray in would mean we could leave Tinordi and Beaulieu in the minors for another season. Murray could play with Gorges or Bouillon on the 3rd pairing.

We need to chill out about next year and focus on building a really good team for the long haul and also why wouldn't Emelin be ready for next year? Knee operations are almost always successful these days and I'm sure they'll be careful not to have a Markov type of repeat.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
Overhaul? Gorges, subban, Emelin and Diaz seem to be in the long term plans. Markov will play out his contract, and bouillon will be a 6-7th dman.

They really only need 1 addition to act as a stop gap before beaulieu, tinordi, pateryn or whoever is ready for the next step

Stopgap?

We need to improve what we have, not have an older Markov playing top minutes and an older Bouillon logging regular minutes.

And by improve, I mean a top 3 guy.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Would not trade Pleks. DD and or Eller would be offered up.

Bergevin needs to start shopping Gionta after the season though.

Eller would be the most attractive for Chicago. Unless we get another center to play with Galchenyuk (not DD) in the following years coming back (Danault/Terravainen), I don't think Eller would be traded. Bournival's the closest prospect we have to Eller's skill set and I don't think he could fill the hole Eller would leave.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
I hope Ian White is being targeted. Right Handed Offensive D Man

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Stopgap?

We need to improve what we have, not have an older Markov playing top minutes and an older Bouillon logging regular minutes.

And by improve, I mean a top 3 guy.

Well I think that Gorges, Subban, Emelin and Diaz is a good top 4. Considering the crop of UFA Defenceman this offseason, I really only see the option of a stopgap type of defenceman.

Obviously I'm always hoping for the team to improve, but getting a top 3-4 guy would be a bonus, not a necessity imo. Someone who can step up and play top 4 minutes would be nice, hense my stopgap option.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
Well I think that Gorges, Subban, Emelin and Diaz is a good top 4. Considering the crop of UFA Defenceman this offseason, I really only see the option of a stopgap type of defenceman.

Obviously I'm always hoping for the team to improve, but getting a top 3-4 guy would be a bonus, not a necessity imo. Someone who can step up and play top 4 minutes would be nice, hense my stopgap option.

Well, that being a solid top 4 is your opinion. To me, that's not very good and we'd still be paper thin in depth. Emelin and Diaz, IMO, should not be penciled in as top 4 guys at the beginning of the season, on a competitive healthy squad.

Sadly, the UFA crop has little in terms of quality guys, so it's not through there we can bolster the D on the top end. This is where I mention again that Bouwmeester was available for a ridiculously low price.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Eller would be the most attractive for Chicago. Unless we get another center to play with Galchenyuk (not DD) in the following years coming back (Danault/Terravainen), I don't think Eller would be traded. Bournival's the closest prospect we have to Eller's skill set and I don't think he could fill the hole Eller would leave.

What happened to Galchenyuk? :sarcasm:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I don't see why he wouldn't be NHL ready, he was the most NHL ready player (except maybe Yakupov) at the draft and a year of maturity would just be a bonus.

Bringing Murray in would mean we could leave Tinordi and Beaulieu in the minors for another season. Murray could play with Gorges or Bouillon on the 3rd pairing.

We need to chill out about next year and focus on building a really good team for the long haul and also why wouldn't Emelin be ready for next year? Knee operations are almost always successful these days and I'm sure they'll be careful not to have a Markov type of repeat.

I only don't think he'd be ready because he was out with injury just about the entire year. He would likely be very expensive to obtain as well.

I'm definitely with you on the "build for the future" ideals. The team isn't built to steadily compete for another 2-3 years, maybe less if good players are brought in during the offseason after this one. People seem really caught up in this years success, we're still in only year one of the rebuild! If it means we can have an awesome team in 2-3 years I am very happy with sticking to the rebuilding plan.

If we can trade Plekanec now and get a huge return (Younger #1-2 dman), why not? We'll likely be bad next year but be dominant for the next 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad