Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the rat in OT.

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
I started watching just as Savard scored his goal. A most entertaining game, although I would have preferred the Habs to be a little less scrambled. It seemed like they couldn't control the puck past the neutral zone for long stretches, but I guess it's on the Bruins to be able to force them to lose the puck so often.

I can't wait for Drouin to get back to NHL form though. He did play like Bryan Flynn tonight, but still, it's unbearable to read all of these comments on him as he is just getting back into action. We're probably missing the playoffs next year as well, so we'll see worse than that for sure.

I guess we'll get the same with Price as soon as he's back. To me, the team is headed the right way, and as long as a player isn't disengaged like Petry is right now, I'm fine with it. We'll be grooming the kids for a while, and as far as I know, Drouin at least didn't do a kid mistake like Caufield did in OT. Drouin was a non factor and mostly lost the puck along the boards most of the night. Wideman was terrible in his decision making, and Drouin wasn't, and we know he can be but at times. Maybe he'll get back to what we saw at season start so HuGo can ship him at the draft

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Damn Allen, he can be so good then lets in goals like the tying goal which was garbage. Reminds me of Christobal Huet.

Habs have been playing good in the last month but I cannot count all the games that should not have gone in OT but they basically let it by making stupid mistakes. Just lacking concentration.

Reactions: angusyoung

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I started watching just as Savard scored his goal. A most entertaining game, although I would have preferred the Habs to be a little less scrambled. It seemed like they couldn't control the puck past the neutral zone for long stretches, but I guess it's on the Bruins to be able to force them to lose the puck so often.

I can't wait for Drouin to get back to NHL form though. He did play like Bryan Flynn tonight, but still, it's unbearable to read all of these comments on him as he is just getting back into action. We're probably missing the playoffs next year as well, so we'll see worse than that for sure.

I guess we'll get the same with Price as soon as he's back. To me, the team is headed the right way, and as long as a player isn't disengaged like Petry is right now, I'm fine with it. We'll be grooming the kids for a while, and as far as I know, Drouin at least didn't do a kid mistake like Caufield did in OT. Drouin was a non factor and mostly lost the puck along the boards most of the night. Wideman was terrible in his decision making, and Drouin wasn't, and we know he can be but at times. Maybe he'll get back to what we saw at season start so HuGo can ship him at the draft
You have man love for Drouin? And are critical of Caufield?
No worries, we can give you a mulligan....
I am thinking you may be drinking?

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
You have man love for Drouin? And are critical of Caufield?
No worries, we can give you a mulligan....
I am thinking you may be drinking?
Maybe a little, which could explain why I wrote Bryan instead of Brian Flynn. Oh well. It was quite a trade deadline day after all

I have no man crush on Drouin, I was barely aware that he was back, but he is a non factor. Armia, Gallagher, Drouin, most of them won't be there anymore when the Habs begin to be relevant again. And this is the difference between a reconstruction like Buffalo, Toronto, Florida and Edmonton, and one like Boston and Minnesota. Both types have low chances of ending in a cup, but one model can make the future leaders of the team responsible and able to play in somewhat meaningful games while growing as a team.

I'd prefer if they were growing along Perry and Weber, but I still like my young players to be surrounded by those Drouin Armia and Gallagher instead of players that are afraid to lose their spot in the NHL, which bring nothing positive to Caufield and Suzuki.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He's useless when he doesn't skate and he hasn't wanted to skate very often this season. I remember remarking in jest that I thought his injury was his hand not his legs. A flat footed Petry is a turnover machine.
Petry doesn’t have Weber to shield him

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
After that first I was surprised that they came back and pushed it into OT. Was a meh game but things are in flux with the recent big changes on the back end.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
He never needed him before, he has played some of his best hockey in the past when Weber was out. I am still going with the idea that this season is an anomaly and we will see a better, healthier Petry come next season.
Totally agree. Petry is a legit top D who raises his game when the games are meaningful, and a 2nd/3rd pair D who loses concentration when playing useless games. He was great the past few seasons when subbing for Weber. This season he obviously checked out once the team was beyond repair. If anyone deserves a mulligan, he does.

Reactions: zeeto and beowulf

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He never needed him before, he has played some of his best hockey in the past when Weber was out. I am still going with the idea that this season is an anomaly and we will see a better, healthier Petry come next season.
When he knew Weber was out for a few games or a couple of weeks - not in a situation where he was expected to be the permanent #1D.

The Petry we see now is the Edm Petry, who was leaned on by Oilers to be a 1st pairing Dman and it didn’t work.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
When he knew Weber was out for a few games or a couple of weeks - not in a situation where he was expected to be the permanent #1D.

The Petry we see now is the Edm Petry, who was leaned on by Oilers to be a 1st pairing Dman and it didn’t work.
Have to disagree.

Reactions: the

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I don't think it's his usage; it's the status of the team he's on. Petry on Edmonton was as disengaged as the team. They sucked - he played down to their level. When there's something to fight for Petry is a #1D; when there isn't, he's distracted.

Reactions: zeeto and the

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A little surprised the bruins didn't manhandle the habs as the top line was less than stellar. Allan was sharp, and the Bruins missing PB,is he what stirs the drink? Bruins did not look like a contender. On a positive for the habs,looks like the Shoeman can step in and fill Kulaks shoes.:thumbu:

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Was at the game last night. It was a fun game to watch. The Habs almost won despite being badly outshot and outplayed in the first and third periods. Allen was impressive. So was Marchand quite honestly.

It's pretty amazing how much the Habs got at the deadline considering how little the impact of the four traded players being gone is on the team. I mean, none of those four players are all that important or tough to replace.

Reactions: angusyoung

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hate to lose to Boston but that point could mean a draft slot. Bruins a good team, they always play us tough. We played well. Never missed the three players we just traded at all. Armia took over Lehkonen spot, Scheurman took Kulak's place and even Savard played well to replace Chiarot.

Allen played well. Stopped 43 of 46 shots, a .938% save percentage. Our speed line of Bryon, Evans was giving Bruins D fits all night in their own end. Causing many turnovers.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I was interested to see Drouin under MSL.

But not sure any style fits a turnover machine who's soft on the puck. Blow on him and he'll hand you the puck on a silver platter.

Imagine what he'd do if you removed the word ''on'' in the second sentence:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad