Post-Game Talk: Habs lose and wings stay alive

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
With all the excitement about our deep D pool, the forgotten prospect in all of this is Engstrom who iirc had a good showing at this year's camp. I don't know much about contracts, eligibility etc. but, is he eligible to play for the Rocket next year?

Yes and he would already be there if Rogle didn't go on an insane run.

Reactions: Habano

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With all the excitement about our deep D pool, the forgotten prospect in all of this is Engstrom who iirc had a good showing at this year's camp. I don't know much about contracts, eligibility etc. but, is he eligible to play for the Rocket next year?

I thought he was the best looking D at the development camp and I still think he's one of their best prospects.

Gorton said the plan was to bring him over at the end of the season but his team after only winning 17 games all year is now 10-0 in the playoffs and playing in the SHL championship on Friday. Since his contract in Sweden ends this month, he's free to play anywhere the Habs want next season, NHL, AHL, SHL (but would count against the 50 contracts)

Reactions: Habano

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
I’d just give him a bit of time to marinate in the AHL. I don’t see the rush.
Yeah I don’t see the rush either but you and I both wanted Slaf in the AHL this year and we are crow. When he’s ready he’s ready is all I’m saying. No rush at all

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
It would've definitely be seen as intentional tanking as we're already eliminated.

Okay but... is that against the rules?

The NHL does not have an explicit rule against intentional tanking, but the league has taken steps to discourage the practice. 1Some key points:
  • The NHL's Department of Player Safety monitors games and can impose supplemental discipline, such as suspensions or fines, for on-ice conduct violations regardless of whether a penalty was called. This helps prevent teams from intentionally engaging in dangerous or unsportsmanlike play to lose games. 1
  • While players themselves do not typically tank, teams can engage in roster management strategies that make it more difficult to win, such as trading away top players or promoting inexperienced goaltenders. However, these tactics are not guaranteed to result in losses. 23
  • The NHL draft lottery system, which determines the order of the first round of the draft, is designed to discourage tanking. The team with the worst record has only an 18.5% chance of winning the first overall pick, with the odds decreasing for the teams with the next worst records. This reduces the incentive for teams to intentionally lose games. 5
  • There have been calls from some in the hockey community to implement stronger anti-tanking measures, such as harsher penalties or draft order changes. However, the NHL has not implemented any explicit rules prohibiting tanking tactics so far. 4
In summary, while the NHL does not have a direct rule against tanking, the league has implemented various measures to disincentivize the practice, even if it cannot be completely eliminated. The debate around tanking in the NHL continues.

Reactions: jrom

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
That was strange.................really seemed we did not to win at that point....and remembering back the last game, CC and Suzy mailing it in, in the SO loss.

Evans had 3 assists and Andy played one of his rare good game that's why Marty started them in OT.

:teach:

Reactions: BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah I don’t see the rush either but you and I both wanted Slaf in the AHL this year and we are crow. When he’s ready he’s ready is all I’m saying. No rush at all
Yeah but Slaf was lucky he wasn’t killed in year one.

I’m not super opposed to us bringing him up. I’d just prefer we don’t rush things. If they think he’s ready…

I just hope he eats a lot of sandwiches over the summer.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
wow...surely the only goalie in this league that has been able to do that. Oh and that 10 number you gave me....jsut based on nothing. All great to come up with an even number, it doesn't make it more right. He could have done more. And lately...his play is concerning.
To me his play has always been concerning; I’ve never thought he was a starter goalie. Any goalie has his games.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Okay but... is that against the rules?

The NHL does not have an explicit rule against intentional tanking, but the league has taken steps to discourage the practice. 1Some key points:
  • The NHL's Department of Player Safety monitors games and can impose supplemental discipline, such as suspensions or fines, for on-ice conduct violations regardless of whether a penalty was called. This helps prevent teams from intentionally engaging in dangerous or unsportsmanlike play to lose games. 1
  • While players themselves do not typically tank, teams can engage in roster management strategies that make it more difficult to win, such as trading away top players or promoting inexperienced goaltenders. However, these tactics are not guaranteed to result in losses. 23
  • The NHL draft lottery system, which determines the order of the first round of the draft, is designed to discourage tanking. The team with the worst record has only an 18.5% chance of winning the first overall pick, with the odds decreasing for the teams with the next worst records. This reduces the incentive for teams to intentionally lose games. 5
  • There have been calls from some in the hockey community to implement stronger anti-tanking measures, such as harsher penalties or draft order changes. However, the NHL has not implemented any explicit rules prohibiting tanking tactics so far. 4
In summary, while the NHL does not have a direct rule against tanking, the league has implemented various measures to disincentivize the practice, even if it cannot be completely eliminated. The debate around tanking in the NHL continues.
Yea, there's definitely no penalty against it, it just makes the organization look bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad