zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
245119184_10165828992515068_5606714539441053525_n.jpg

Quality.

Reactions: Rocker13

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Is it a hot take to say that Nick Suzuki would be the 5th best forward on the leafs and that Caulfield is being gifted NHL minutes and has terrible shot selection (something the leafs have kept Nick Robertson in the AHL for)?

axman15

Sep 6, 2012
Toronto
Is it a hot take to say that Nick Suzuki would be the 5th best forward on the leafs and that Caulfield is being gifted NHL minutes and has terrible shot selection (something the leafs have kept Nick Robertson in the AHL for)?

Not at all a hot take IMO. Nylander > Suzuki (for this year, and it's pretty even going forward before factoring in Nylander's better contract), and I've had the exact same thought about Caulfield. Definitely an alright piece, but I don't think he'll be much of a factor this year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It's a hot take in the sense that we would be happy to have both those guys. Suzuki in particular might not rank all that highly but when the chips are down any team would love to roll out a line with Suzuki on it.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I think the Marner thing was totally precautionary. He's a star player for this team and they likely wanted to triple check that everything was fine. I'd fully expect that he's playing tomorrow. But that's just my opinion from the video and what I've read.

Reactions: Buds17

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I think the Marner thing was totally precautionary. He's a star player for this team and they likely wanted to triple check that everything was fine. I'd fully expect that he's playing tomorrow. But that's just my opinion from the video and what I've read.

Just put them both on LTIR and call them up during playoffs

Regardless we should be able to win this game. They still don't have a Tavares or Nylander

On top of that we have a power forward in Simmonds.

Reactions: Nylander88
Sep 18, 2009
Just put them both on LTIR and call them up during playoffs

Regardless we should be able to win this game. They still don't have a Tavares or Nylander

On top of that we have a power forward in Simmonds.
Gabriel should replace Marner

Reactions: geo25

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Gabriel should replace Marner

That's exactly who I was thinking off

It's amazing in 3 years we lost so much depth
Going from Kadri Kapanen Marleau AJ JVR Hyman

However bad they are, they all scored 20+ goals for the Leafs

Nobody but JT and Nylander on current leafs has had scored 20 on any teams in last 5 years

Kase did it 6 years ago?

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
I honestly think it is still a pretty good roster, but I am also pretty high on Kase and Bunting, but ya, any team that loses their two best players would probably at best be a middle of the pack team.

Edmonton without McDavid/Drai
Tampa without Kucherov/Hedman
Colorado without MacKinnon/Makar
Florida without Barkov/Huberdeau
Boston without Marchand/Pastrnak

Leafs have really good depth
Edmonton without mcdavid and Drai would be last place team I’m fairly confident

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Edmonton without mcdavid and Drai would be last place team I’m fairly confident

Yes Edmonton would others wouldn't

Some of those teams have solid goaltending. Tier 1 even. They'll pull them through

We have tier 2 goalies. Not the same

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Nobody but JT and Nylander on current leafs has had scored 20 on any teams in last 5 years

Kase did it 6 years ago?

That "depth" has a 30 million dollar combined cap hit (23.6 not counting Marleau). They combined for 59 goals between 5 players (used Johnsson's 2019-20 year).

Ritchie, Spezza, Bunting, Mikheyev, and Engvall combined for 49 goals in less games at a grand total of 7.1 million. This is also with our list of players getting bottom-6 time while Kapanen, Kadri, and JVR all get top PP usage and linemates that aren't 3rd/4th liners.

For context, those 5 "depth" forwards cost more than Anaheim, Ottawa (even with Brady signed at 8x8), Detroit's entire forward roster. Tampa's top 6 most expensive forwards combined clock in at just under 40 mil, their entire cup-winning top-6 minus Kucherov makes basically the same money as your "depth". If you count Coleman and Goodrow last year instead of Killorn and Palat it's even worse.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Kase did it 6 years ago?

Am I correct in assuming this post is some type of satire? I'd assume so considering you can't even get the current 20 goal scorers on the Leafs correct.

Reactions: Atomos2

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Am I correct in assuming this post is some type of satire? I'd assume so considering you can't even get the current 20 goal scorers on the Leafs correct.

Current leafs without Mattews and Marner only have Tavares and Nylander

Am I wrong here?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
That "depth" has a 30 million dollar combined cap hit (23.6 not counting Marleau). They combined for 59 goals between 5 players (used Johnsson's 2019-20 year).

Ritchie, Spezza, Bunting, Mikheyev, and Engvall combined for 49 goals in less games at a grand total of 7.1 million. This is also with our list of players getting bottom-6 time while Kapanen, Kadri, and JVR all get top PP usage and linemates that aren't 3rd/4th liners.

For context, those 5 "depth" forwards cost more than Anaheim, Ottawa (even with Brady signed at 8x8), Detroit's entire forward roster. Tampa's top 6 most expensive forwards combined clock in at just under 40 mil, their entire cup-winning top-6 minus Kucherov makes basically the same money as your "depth". If you count Coleman and Goodrow last year instead of Killorn and Palat it's even worse.

What year are you counting

2018. Marleau had 20 goals, kadri 16, AJ 20, Kapanen 20, Hyman 21

You don't consider assists as an strength. None of those you mention are a real threat to score

Kadri and Kapanen have game breaking ability

Kapanen has had proven over and over again he can come through clutch. Mikaheyev has proven he will choke. He had the game on his stick against the Habs

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
What year are you counting

2018. Marleau had 20 goals, kadri 16, AJ 20, Kapanen 20, Hyman 21

You don't consider assists as an strength. None of those you mention are a real threat to score

Kadri and Kapanen have game breaking ability

Kapanen has had proven over and over again he can come through clutch. Mikaheyev has proven he will choke. He had the game on his stick against the Habs

I compared their last season played. I don't care what Kadri and AJ got in 2018, you're paying them for their production today. Nobody spends 30 million dollars on depth, that's an insane suggestion.

Spezza had one less goal last season than Kadri in 2 less games with 4th line minutes and 100 minutes less of PP time. At ES Spezza scored 9+16 in 480 minutes, Kadri scored 8+13 in 750 minutes. By the way, Kadri's most common linemates were Saad, Burakovsky, Nichushkin, and Donskoi, as well as time with Landeskog/Rantanen. Spezza's most common linemates were Boyd, Petan, Engvall, Barabanov, and Vesey.

What game is Kadri breaking in 2022? Are you talking about him breaking his PS5 when he goes mental maybe?

Here's Kadri in the only game 7 he hasn't been suspended for. See if you can spot his clutch plays watching Kirivanta drop a hat trick on him in a game 7, he had front row seats for two of them and did nothing to stop it. I like the OT goal the most, instead of watching his man he's standing still on top of his own teammate with his back to the shooter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jojalu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad