Speculation: Habs have spoken with Morrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Multiple doctors stated that he was no where near 100%.

I'm sure we could find multiple doctors to confirm Gionta Pacioretty Prust and Price all played hurt in that series. That's on top of Eller and Emelin who played a combined 6:21 in that series.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
I'm sure we could find multiple doctors to confirm Gionta Pacioretty Prust and Price all played hurt in that series. That's on top of Eller and Emelin who played a combined 6:21 in that series.

Bottom line is Ottawa had injuries as well. And I thought Injuries were not an excuse?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Spezza played 5 regular season games for the Sens that year. They had the entire season to cope without him, find a replacement, build chemistry, etc. For all intents and purposes, he wasn't even a part of their 2012-13 season. Considerably different from losing someone at the end of the year or in the playoffs.

Exactly. Sens adapted over the season. Habs never had that chance.

Yes, Spezza's absence was a serious loss, but Montreal was missing up to seven players during the series. And the petty excuses about Karlsson are ridiculous. He was healthy enough to play and had been back for a couple of weeks already. Not 100%? Give me a break. Bourque and Diaz were also not at 100% after their long injuries. Every damn team has players who are less than 100%. Habs were missing multiple players who couldn't play at all.

Geez... Ottawa built their entire season around being the Injured Team. Everyone shook their head in sympathy and MacLean won coach of the year because they were the Injured Team. But then their players came back. Come the playoffs, the injured team was us.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011

Yes, Spezza's absence was a serious loss, but Montreal was missing up to seven players during the series. And the petty excuses about Karlsson are ridiculous. He was healthy enough to play and had been back for a couple of weeks already. Not 100%? Give me a break. Bourque and Diaz were also not at 100% after their long injuries. Every damn team has players who are less than 100%. Habs were missing multiple players who couldn't play at all.

Geez... Ottawa built their entire season around being the Injured Team. Everyone shook their head in sympathy and MacLean won coach of the year because they were the Injured Team. But then their players came back. Come the playoffs, the injured team was us.

And some who couldnt play at all but still did in Pacioretty.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006

Injuries were not the reason we lost.

We lost because:

-their Goalie totally outplayed ours
-they pushed us around
-their coach played all the right cards
-our PP sucked

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011

We lost because:

-they pushed us around
-our PP sucked

No.

What you are saying happened BECAUSE of the injuries. Well maybe not the pushing us around part but that is not the reason why we lost.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
The truth is, all of the above reasons combined with injuries is why we lost. I don't think you could pinpoint ONE thing that was the major factor, but a combination of everything. No sense in arguing one factor over another.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

We lost because:

-they pushed us around
-our PP sucked

Anderson outplayed Price in games one and three. Price outplayed Anderson in game two. Then it got weird.

Price outplayed Anderson in game four, until a kicked-in goal tied the game for Ottawa in the last minute. Price was hurt and that was it for him. Instead of a series tied 2-2, we went into OT missing our starting goalie, half our forwards and Emelin. Our PP sucked? No kidding...

Their coach made noises but had nothing to do with our health breakdown and our system breakdown in game-three.

When a team is heavily injured they don't win in the playoffs.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

We lost because:

-they pushed us around
-our PP sucked

Pretty much spot on.

Injuries is an excuse designed to minimize the lack of depth that the Habs have in this organization.

And the sad reality is that lack of depth, especially with our D, has yet to be addressed.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
Pretty much spot on.

Injuries is an excuse designed to minimize the lack of depth that the Habs have in this organization.

And the sad reality is that lack of depth, especially with our D, has yet to be addressed.

I don't thiknk they are an excuse, they are a reason. Not the only reason, but a contributing factor. Generally, teams that succeed in the playoffs have relatively healthy rosters. Especially for a team like the Habs (At this point in their development cycle), for them to have succeeded in the playoffs they needed to be healthy, because they lack depth. When that didn't happen, they did not do well.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I don't thiknk they are an excuse, they are a reason. Not the only reason, but a contributing factor. Generally, teams that succeed in the playoffs have relatively healthy rosters. Especially for a team like the Habs (At this point in their development cycle), for them to have succeeded in the playoffs they needed to be healthy, because they lack depth. When that didn't happen, they did not do well.

It's an excuse.

Hockey is a physical sport and every team will have injuries. The teams with depth will overcome and be successful. Those that lack adequate depth capable of performing will suffer.

Sadly we are that team that lacked depth last season and if we start the season as is, will again be at a more significant disadvantage WHEN we have players injured.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
NO EXCUSES - reasons allowed... is that the motto?

Bottom line - Ottawa embarrassed us.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
It's an excuse.

Hockey is a physical sport and every team will have injuries. The teams with depth will overcome and be successful. Those that lack adequate depth capable of performing will suffer.

Sadly we are that team that lacked depth last season and if we start the season as is, will again be at a more significant disadvantage WHEN we have players injured.

Up to a point. If key player like a Doughty, Subban, or Crosby, gets hobbled and becomes less effective, there is no real way to "replace" that player and the team will likely suffer. But, with depth, at least the reserves are not total incompetents and you can play a "trap-like" defense-first style to squeeze out a win every night like Ottawa did last season.

Analyzer*

There's no new info in over a week and this thread isn't even about Morrow anymore.

Close it down ?

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
NO EXCUSES - reasons allowed... is that the motto?

Bottom line - Ottawa embarrassed us.

agreed,

we had inj's , yes

but the guys hurt other then Prust were not going to push back,
and yet prust did more with 1/2 a body, then 80% of the team.

BIGGER IS BETTER, to let the smaller guys have some room

as the leafs how that worked for them, Kessel and other played better.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
It's an excuse.

People like to repeat this bit of "conventional hockey wisdom" because it's been beaten into their heads for years, but it's simply not true. Going deep into the playoffs and winning the Cup requires staying healthy, which takes a huge amount of luck.

Tell me, what injuries did Chicago overcome this year? When did they have to rely upon this mythical "depth" that all winning teams have to turn to sooner or later? Of their 10 leading scorers and #1 goalie, all of them played every playoff game except Hossa (injured for 1), Keith (suspended for 1) and Stalberg (scratched for 4).

Over on the other side, Boston - all their top 10 scorers and their #1 goalie played every game except Peverley (missed 1) and Seidenberg (missed 4).

Meanwhile, over in Montreal, we played 5 games - out of our top 10 scorers, we were without Pacioretty (1 game), Eller (4 games) and Gionta (3 games). Our #1 goalie missed an overtime and a full game. Our 11th leading scorer was Prust, who also missed 1 game. Emelin, who won't crack any top scoring lists but is still valuable to the team, missed 5 games.

Already in 5 games we had more injuries than Chicago and Boston had in a combined 45 games (23 for CHI, 22 for BOS).

So please...I know it fits your argument that everything all the other teams do is better and everything the Habs do is awful, but try to have your arguments line-up even somewhat remotely with the plain facts.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It's an excuse.

Disagree. I may be wrong, but I'd guess that any team with sufficient number of missing players doesn't go far in the playoffs. At that point it's no longer a question of depth. When your team is forced to ice minor-leaguers and scrubs, it's no longer really your team.

Find me an exception when a team missing six or seven key players won a Cup or even went deep. There may be one, I just can't think of it.

As to this "No excuses" thing, sorry, but that slogan applies to how the team plays, prepares and adapts to games. It doesn't apply to injured players who aren't in the game. There is a very real difference between an explanation and an excuse.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
People like to repeat this bit of "conventional hockey wisdom" because it's been beaten into their heads for years, but it's simply not true. Going deep into the playoffs and winning the Cup requires staying healthy, which takes a huge amount of luck.

Tell me, what injuries did Chicago overcome this year? When did they have to rely upon this mythical "depth" that all winning teams have to turn to sooner or later? Of their 10 leading scorers and #1 goalie, all of them played every playoff game except Hossa (injured for 1), Keith (suspended for 1) and Stalberg (scratched for 4).

Over on the other side, Boston - all their top 10 scorers and their #1 goalie played every game except Peverley (missed 1) and Seidenberg (missed 4).

Meanwhile, over in Montreal, we played 5 games - out of our top 10 scorers, we were without Pacioretty (1 game), Eller (4 games) and Gionta (3 games). Our #1 goalie missed an overtime and a full game. Our 11th leading scorer was Prust, who also missed 1 game. Emelin, who won't crack any top scoring lists but is still valuable to the team, missed 5 games.

Already in 5 games we had more injuries than Chicago and Boston had in a combined 45 games (23 for CHI, 22 for BOS).

So please...I know it fits your argument that everything all the other teams do is better and everything the Habs do is awful, but try to have your arguments line-up even somewhat remotely with the plain facts.

Yeah! What he said! You tell 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad