Confirmed with Link: Habs - Bruins 2016 Winter Classic at Gillette Stadium (Alumni Rosters announced)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NBC previews the classic

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...l-bridgestone-winter-classic-conference-call/

Pierre, I believe you’re from Montréal, and Mike, you’ve spent a great deal of time in Boston. Can you guys each weigh in on how big this game is in each city and how it plays into the culture of both big sports towns and how much of an important event this is in each city?

PIERRE McGUIRE: Any time Montréal and Boston play, it’s a huge event. As a kid growing up, there were long, long lines just for standing room only tickets just to watch Bobby Orr play. That’s how far back I go. But you think about the iconic picture of “Sugar†Jim Henry and “Rocket†Richard, both of them bleeding profusely in the handshake line; it goes back that far.

When I was a kid growing up and going to school, everybody loved to hate the Bruins. I kind of was in between, because my favorite player was Bobby Orr. And then all of a sudden Larry Robinson came along from Montréal, and I kind of went towards the Canadiens.

But it’s a huge, huge thing whenever Boston and Montréal play, doesn’t matter where they are in the standings. What matters the most is you know it’s going to be intense and you know it’s going to be full of passion and you know both teams are going to give everything they have. I think that’s one of the things that makes it great.

I’m speaking of it from a fan’s point of view. Mike can speak from having actually been in the cauldron of Boston and Montreal, what it’s like.

MIKE MILBURY: Yeah, it’s really about the fans. They make the rivalry. They are the ones that get juiced up, and these two towns, we all know groups of fans travel to certain events.

But when they travel from Montréal to Boston and vice versa, it’s usually in a large group and even when the odds seem stacked against you, you get that jolt of adrenaline because you know your fans are watching. You don’t want to let them down when you’re playing against Montréal how much emotion and rivalry, and if they want to find a way to cheer for their home team with a win.

It elevates your, I think commitment to play, and that probably isn’t the right thing to say. You should be able to play every game with the same intensity, but it just isn’t that way. And it’s really a tribute to the fans and how much they invest in it and how much they require the players to invest, and it’s a lot every time these two teams square up.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
It is going to be fun and the stadium could well be evenly split between B's and Habs fans. Foxborough has always been a pain to drive to as 45 years later they still haven't built the access road off Interstate 95 and instead funnel the traffic to US-1.

Transit is limited to the one train from Boston and one from Providence.

Hopefully there will be little trouble but both fanbases have a lunatic fringe that could incite a situation.

I love the City of Montreal and the Expos were my National League team. I hope I see the day when 'Nos Amours' live and I hear this song played again.

I also understand why the Bruins became the Habs #1 rival over Toronto and while competition was part of it the bigger factor was television and a small UHF station in Burlington, Vermont paved the way.

40 years ago anyone with cable TV in Montreal could expect a good percentage of Wednesday and Saturday Habs home games to be televised but very few road games until the playoffs. However TV22 from Burlington, Vermont beamed every Bruins game home and away to Montreal cable. The Bruins were on TV more in Quebec than the Habs and WHA Nords combined and they picked up fans.

TV22 in Burlington was simply acting as a relay of TV38 in Boston. Somebody at TV38 back in the 70's understood the need to archive hockey video. A year ago when Jean Beliveau passed, CBC and SRC looked frantically for video of one of Beliveau's greatest games and they discovered the tapes had been erased.

WSBK-TV in Boston archived the game and one of the greatest comebacks in Montreal history is preserved because somebody at the Bruins station didn't erase it.

If you are coming to Boston for the game please feel free to ask me questions.

Thanks for sharing, So classic seeing those greats in action. One of the most questionable decisions by a coach in history starting johnson after Cheevers had won game 1!!!

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thanks for sharing, So classic seeing those greats in action. One of the most questionable decisions by a coach in history starting johnson after Cheevers had won game 1!!!

Not really as Coach Tom Johnson had been alternating Cheevers (40 starts) and Johnston (38 starts) all year and EJ usually played well against Montreal.

To me the biggest mystery is why Al McNeil stayed with Dryden and didn't pull him when the Bruins led 5-1 in Game 2. My hunch is McNeil KNEW he was going to get fired even if the Habs won the Cup as Bowman was available and he rolled the dice and won.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

void

Jan 5, 2006
Subban with his red fur coat and "suit carrier" :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Weise: "What you got on your back? Is that a ****ing yoga mat????" :laugh:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I just wanted to pop over and say that it is looking like a sunny, 50 degree day for the Classic. we are in a rediculous warm weather pattern and it is going to be 50+ for the next 10 days with Thursday being near 70!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I just wanted to pop over and say that it is looking like a sunny, 50 degree day for the Classic. we are in a rediculous warm weather pattern and it is going to be 50+ for the next 10 days with Thursday being near 70!

We should do ball hockey and a total points game including the Alumni score. :laugh:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The ice truck has arrived in Foxborough!!!!!!!

[NHL]907844[/NHL]

It will be around 50° F - 10° C and cloudy with possible showers.

msvr9AL.png

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
[NHL]882304[/NHL]

NHL at the last minutes let NBC pick the anthem singers in Foxborough

This is kind of depressing.

Nate Ruess, American Authors, Jordan Smith and musicians from Boston Pops among NHL Winter Classic performers

Jordan Smith – U.S. national anthem

Hailing from Whitley County, Kentucky, 22-year-old Jordan Smith captured the hearts of audiences everywhere with his powerhouse voice to win the ninth season of NBC's EMMY AWARD®-winning "The Voice." With more than 1 million singles sold and more than 57 million cumulative streams of his performances on YouTube, the Republic Records recording artist has set his place in history as the highest-selling artist to ever emerge from "The Voice." His rendition of the Queen classic "Somebody to Love" unseated Adele’s "Hello" from #1 on iTunes Overall Top Songs chart in a matter of hours, and moved 164K copies in its first week clinching #1 on Digital Songs Chart. In celebration of the success, Smith released a full-length album, Jordan Smith: The Complete Season 9 Collection, on iTunes one day after his win. Overnight, the album skyrocketed to the Top 5 on the iTunes Overall Album Chart.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fan’s guide to the 2016 Winter Classic

Musicians from the Boston Pops will accompany Jordan Smith, winner of “The Voice†season 9, in performing the US national anthem before the 1 p.m. game.

The Montreal band Simple Plan will perform the Canadian national anthem and also play during the second intermission.

American Authors will play a pregame set, while Nate Ruess, lead singer of the group Fun, will be featured during the first intermission.

Pilots from Rhode Island’s Air National Guard will do a flyover in a C130-J airplane immediately after the national anthems. Greater Boston Junior Bruins youth hockey players will be flag-bearers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad