News Article: Habs 8th in Hockey's Future Team Prospect Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
Now all we need is for the season to start so we can tank and trade a couple vets for more picks and end up with Seth Jones + 5 other picks in the top 60.

If we land Jones, we are set for a decade. With a defense like that:

Jones - Beaulieu
Subban - Tinordi
Gorges - Thrower/Ellis/Emelin

Put that in front of Carey Price, and Montreal will be in the Top 5 for GAA year in, year out. If can trade a veteran for a late 1st round pick, I would be more than happy. We could pick a foward with 1st line potential. Someone like Gauthier, Mantha or Duclair. With the other three 2nd round picks, let's pick a grinder with size and give the chance to Timmins to make a long shot on a foward. Finally pick Jordan Subban.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Huge leap from 21st last year. Nice :handclap:

Personally, I'd have us a bit lower though, more in 10-12 range, but it doesn't really matter as that isn't really much of a difference.

I really like how we had a great draft and suddenly our prospect pool looks infinitely better. Galchenyuk, Collberg, Thrower, Bozon, Vail, and Hudon all look like great picks. With the exception of Thrower (hopefully he actually gets to play for an extended period of time soon) all the picks all producing early on and all have grown as players. There's good depth in all positions (except goalie) and a good mixture of skill and two-way play.

I don't think our prospects jumped THAT much in a year, we should have been much higher than that last year.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
Pretty quiet about this article on the Leafs forum. I guess they don't agree on being 20th! Pretty sad considering they missed the playoffs 7 years in a row.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I k ownthe ranking don't mean much but how the **** did the leafs only got that far? They've missed the playoffs since Louis the 5th was king! They've got to have some
decent prospects like wtf?

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
I k ownthe ranking don't mean much but how the **** did the leafs only got that far? They've missed the playoffs since Louis the 5th was king! They've got to have some

We have to say that we were very lucky with a lot of pick. Like Beaulieu was seen by a lot to go around 10th pick but fell to us at 17th. Tinordi was supposed to go around 15th but we got him at 22th. And this year we were SUPER lucky to our top 5 picks. Galchenyuk was a no brainer, but Collberg, Thrower, Vail and Hudon were supposed to be all top 60 picks. And Timmins did a great job getting them. Toronto have badluck with there pick. They seem to always disapoint at some point.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal

HF considers him graduated, but IMO Gardiner will be a top notch player who would have boosted Toronto in the rankings. Between Subban, Karlsson, Gardiner, Hamilton and Myers, that's a lot of exciting young dmen in the Northeast.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

I'm guessing HF doesn't value truculence, pugnacity, belligerence and testes as highly as Brian Burke.

P.S. I like Brian Burke. i don't know why I'm taking shots at him.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
And Timmins did a great job getting them.

I love Timmins's work but what exactly did he do to get those players. It isn't like he went around covering those players with the cloak of invisibility. He waited with his fingers crossed and hoped no one took them.

Myron Gaines*

We have to say that we were very lucky with a lot of pick. Like Beaulieu was seen by a lot to go around 10th pick but fell to us at 17th. Tinordi was supposed to go around 15th but we got him at 22th. And this year we were SUPER lucky to our top 5 picks. Galchenyuk was a no brainer, but Collberg, Thrower, Vail and Hudon were supposed to be all top 60 picks. And Timmins did a great job getting them. Toronto have badluck with there pick. They seem to always disapoint at some point.

Even Bozon was supposed to go top 60 by many scouting reports.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009

They are ranked way too low when you look at who they have in the system.

Guys like Frattin, Kadri and Rielly are ready to make impacts now. They have Biggs and Komarov who will be useful in the NHL. On the back end after Rielly they have Blacker, Finn, Percy, Holzer.

Colborne, Ashton could potentially make the NHL in some form. They should definitely be ranked higher...

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto

Guys like Frattin, Kadri and Rielly are ready to make impacts now. They have Biggs and Komarov who will be useful in the NHL. On the back end after Rielly they have Blacker, Finn, Percy, Holzer.

Colborne, Ashton could potentially make the NHL in some form. They should definitely be ranked higher...

I don't actually like their prospect pool all that much. They really don't have many forwards with Top 6 potential other than maybe Kadri. Rielly is obviously a great prospect, but after that, there's no one that stands out.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don't actually like their prospect pool all that much. They really don't have many forwards with Top 6 potential other than maybe Kadri. Rielly is obviously a great prospect, but after that, there's no one that stands out.

They have a very poor group of forwards as Kadri is never going to be a quality NHLer and Colborne is plain awful. Biggs will play but he likely will play in the bottom six as is also the case with Komarov. I like Frattin but I believe he is 25 now......

They have a very nice group of D prospects but don't have any goaltending prospects. IMO their prospect pool is a below average one.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Look at their track record especially with respect to the lofty Habs rankings in the past, and you can see it's not very credible.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I love Timmins's work but what exactly did he do to get those players. It isn't like he went around covering those players with the cloak of invisibility. He waited with his fingers crossed and hoped no one took them.

:shakehead

What exactly would a head scout have to do in your opinion to deserve credit for his picks???

He could have passed on these players just like all of the previous teams.

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal

What exactly would a head scout have to do in your opinion to deserve credit for his picks???

Exactly. But like I said, we were very lucky. Timmins picked them and as far from now, pretty much all of them are having a good season. The 2012 class look very good. I see Vail and Hudon on our 3rd line. Thrower could be a excellent buttom 4 d-men. Bozon look like our new Ryder. And with Galchenyuk, Timmins made the hard choice of picking the guy who missed a entire season. And it look like he was the right guy to pick.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
HF considers him graduated, but IMO Gardiner will be a top notch player who would have boosted Toronto in the rankings. Between Subban, Karlsson, Gardiner, Hamilton and Myers, that's a lot of exciting young dmen in the Northeast.

Gardiner gets very overrated on these boards. He is a great skater but he is not physical at all. I am not sold on his offensive upside as he has a very average shot and is a good but not great passer. I think he tops out as a 40 point d-man which isn't bad but his production won't justify his lack of anything resembling a physical game.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Saying he did a great job GETTING them is silly. What exactly did he do? Did he call up the local mob and have them threaten any GM who looked at any of his picks? Did he do some backroom wheeling and dealing to make sure his picks were still on the board?

No all Timmins did was wait his turn & sweated bullets hoping and praying he had at least one of his choices when his pick came around.

Now did Timmins make excellent choices? The consensus is a resounding yes but he did nothing to GET, to make sure those players were still there.

Now Sam Pollock was someone that made sure he GOT the players he wanted.

Do you see the difference?

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
But...but...but... we don't draft Quebecers...
snoop.png

I
aqDwC.png
Trevor Timmins.

Analyzer*

Komarov is a bottom 6 agitator. Biggs will be a player Leaf fans love... If he can make it.

Rielly is a stud. Blacker, Percy and Holzer all lack top 4 potential. Percy was a terrible pick. I feel sorry for the leafs they're stuck with him. Holzer looks interesting, but he's no wow dman.

Colborne might be a 3rd, or 4th line centre, but he's not tough, or physical enough. Ashton can play top, or bottom 6.

They could deal Rynnas, or Scrivens and get themselves another solid prospect not in net. IMO I'd say the leafs are top 5 in terms of goaltending prospects. As for the habs, we shouldn't even be ranked in goaltending prospects. That's how much Mayer and Delmas suck.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Komarov is a bottom 6 agitator. Biggs will be a player Leaf fans love... If he can make it.

Rielly is a stud. Blacker, Percy and Holzer all lack top 4 potential. Percy was a terrible pick. I feel sorry for the leafs they're stuck with him. Holzer looks interesting, but he's no wow dman.

Colborne might be a 3rd, or 4th line centre, but he's not tough, or physical enough. Ashton can play top, or bottom 6.

They could deal Rynnas, or Scrivens and get themselves another solid prospect not in net. IMO I'd say the leafs are top 5 in terms of goaltending prospects. As for the habs, we shouldn't even be ranked in goaltending prospects. That's how much Mayer and Delmas suck.

How in the world could you possibly rank the Leafs top 5 in goaltending prospects????????

They don't have any....

Scrivens is 27 and Rynnas is a long shot to develop into a decent backup. I'll take Desjardins over either one of these guys.

That being said, in the Leafs defence Percy was a good pick.....don't know where you get the hatred for that pick?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Saying he did a great job GETTING them is silly. What exactly did he do? Did he call up the local mob and have them threaten any GM who looked at any of his picks? Did he do some backroom wheeling and dealing to make sure his picks were still on the board?

No all Timmins did was wait his turn & sweated bullets hoping and praying he had at least one of his choices when his pick came around.

Now did Timmins make excellent choices? The consensus is a resounding yes but he did nothing to GET, to make sure those players were still there.

You know why the other teams with lower rated prospect pools don't have the prospects that we have?............because Timmin's GOT them.

Go play symantecs elsewhere.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Gardiner gets very overrated on these boards. He is a great skater but he is not physical at all. I am not sold on his offensive upside as he has a very average shot and is a good but not great passer. I think he tops out as a 40 point d-man which isn't bad but his production won't justify his lack of anything resembling a physical game.

So kaberle 2.0 (lol)?

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com

Stop.

Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad