Post-Game Talk: Habs 4 - Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This game kind of proved everything I think about Ville Heinola. He's not ready for the NHL. That was an AHL like roster that made him look fragile. I don't think Bowness can trust him on the road, when he is not physical, or getting in shooting lanes. I don't know why the team has to get him in at the expense of Samberg, but I guarantee he won't inspire Bones to carry on with that change, and the Jets are going to need Samberg for the PK against the Leafs. Thankfully the boys on the PK got the job done tonight, that was about the only bright spot. I hope that no one here is still insisting Heinola is a better defenseman than Neal Pionk, who should have came out of this game as a 0 at least if not for a lackluster defensive effort from his teammates.

I didn't see or understand why Scheifele got demoted, but that was a headscratcher for me. Didn't make the team any better. Seemed like the wrong guy to drop the hammer on, but I'm not the coach.

That was one of the worst games of the season, I don't know if the boys indulged last night in the joie de vivre of Montreal, but jeez that was a stinker.

As an aside I listened mostly to the first period, without watching, and Dan Robertson seemed to be cheering for the opponent. Certainly talked a lot about them when given the opportunity. I get he was the Habs play by play guy, but it seems weird for a home broadcast when even the announcer isn't on your side.
That would likely be a hard habit to break after a decade calling the Habs. He probably had lots of friends over there and let's face it, the Jets didn't give him shit to cheer about.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
This game was a shit sandwich from beginning to end.
1674057839917.png

Reactions: macmaroon

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I’m fine with this loss. Hurt mtl’s bedard sweepstake. We are solidly in a playoff spot. I wonder if Connor is hurt out there he has not been as good for a while. Unlike some players who miss large chunks of games, Connor keeps going but you gotta think there are some games the minor injuries they all go through catch up to the guys who play every game.
That’s when you gotta be able to rely on guys like Ehlers who has just been healing up for the last 30 games.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Sawyer had it right. They were going for it all too soon before establishing anything. You could see they didn't want to work for it because they didn't think they needed to. Wrong.

Hopefully they learn a lesson since, being in the GTA, I don't want to live through the nightmare of mockery I'll be subject to if they do the same sort of thing vs. the Maple Leafs.
Wow! Just wow!

Four words I never expected to ever see in here.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Poor effort by the Jets, they totally took the night off vs one of the least talented and most insignificant teams in the NHL (these days) and gave away two points during the dog days of the season. Not ideal, but far from a big deal. I'm more concerned about the team getting away from of the good defensive hockey recently, that we seen earlier in the season. Bones needs to get this team back to playing good defensive hockey and not overlooking bad teams (Habs) and easy two points.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I missed the game. Scheif was demoted to 4th for a spell? Bad game on his part in particular?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Poor effort by the Jets, they totally took the night off vs one of the least talented and most insignificant teams in the NHL (these days) and gave away two points during the dog days of the season. Not ideal, but far from a big deal. I'm more concerned about the team getting away from of the good defensive hockey recently, that we seen earlier in the season. Bones needs to get this team back to playing good defensive hockey and not overlooking bad teams (Habs) and easy two points.

I think the team is still learning how to be consistently successful - they play well and seem to take some opponents for granted (eg Arizona Sunday, Montreal last night) and try to be flashy, get away from good habits, etc. I'd rather they learn this now against teams that aren't impactful in the standings than in April.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I missed the game. Scheif was demoted to 4th for a spell? Bad game on his part in particular?

I think it was less that he was demoted and more that he was taking extra shifts with bottom 6 wingers. He was still taking shifts beside Wheeler and Perfetti in the 3rd as well as beside Barron, Maenalanen, and AJF.

Reactions: Hobble and Jets 31

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's so weird because the Pens game was one of their best defensive efforts in years. We know they can do it, it's just getting them to do it consistently

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Still baffled after all these years...
ESW has great underlying stats and produces yet both coaches avoid that line
Kfc-pld with perfetti produced and with Wheeler they don't yet it's constantly our backup plan
Kfc-pld produce more with anyone not named Wheeler

Hope it works but I don't see it

Kfc-pld-maenalaenen
Esw
Perfetti-lowry-wheeler
Barron-stenlund-ajf

Not seeing the kuhlman love in either - he's Harkins 2.0

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

I think it was less that he was demoted and more that he was taking extra shifts with bottom 6 wingers. He was still taking shifts beside Wheeler and Perfetti in the 3rd as well as beside Barron, Maenalanen, and AJF.
The switch was Lowry and Scheifele.
Each of them mostly played with the other C's wingers.
I think Mark took a shift or 2 with the 4th liners or maybe that was just him staying out way too long.
I only saw one shift for Mark back with Perfetti and Wheeler after the change.
Then his next shift was back with the checkers.

Dubois' line was as bad as anyone's and I'm not sure why they escaped the changes.
Coach should have tried flipping Connor/Perfetti or Ehlers/Wheeler since NOTHING was working.

I thought the whole team looked bad so I didn't notice as much the players who were called out for being the worst as it seemed par for the course.

I don't think Barron did anything to deserve a promotion and I think Perfetti with Lowry is a stupid idea!!!!
Please get Kuhlman off the ice he literally would need 1000+ shots to score with a goalie in the net.

Please play desperate/pack of wolves D on Thursday.
Getting lit up for 7+ goals by the Leafs would be painful.

Still baffled after all these years...
ESW has great underlying stats and produces yet both coaches avoid that line
Kfc-pld with perfetti produced and with Wheeler they don't yet it's constantly our backup plan
Kfc-pld produce more with anyone not named Wheeler

Hope it works but I don't see it

Kfc-pld-maenalaenen
Esw
Perfetti-lowry-wheeler
Barron-stenlund-ajf

Not seeing the kuhlman love in either - he's Harkins 2.0
Who's the "w" in esw?
You have Wheeler on the 3rd line already.

Lowry with those wingers can't check the top lines... who's supposed to do that?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No, nobody played well, Bowness could have demoted anyone from the top 9

Me either but i think Bowness is trying to show he won't put up with efforts like last night.

Don't think he fits with Lowry and Sak who are all grit (outside Lowry's occasional great rush play). Unless we want him taking extra punishment along the boards.

Find a better, skilled RWer who can play Lowry's style of game and I'm down. Barron I'm fine with trying in the top 6, they've clearly been chasing after a Hyman type player that can be inserted up there as a physical winger, and it sure as hell isn't Kuhlman :laugh:

Reactions: Jack7222

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think the team is still learning how to be consistently successful - they play well and seem to take some opponents for granted (eg Arizona Sunday, Montreal last night) and try to be flashy, get away from good habits, etc. I'd rather they learn this now against teams that aren't impactful in the standings than in April.

The switch was Lowry and Scheifele.
Each of them mostly played with the other C's wingers.
I think Mark took a shift or 2 with the 4th liners or maybe that was just him staying out way too long.
I only saw one shift for Mark back with Perfetti and Wheeler after the change.
Then his next shift was back with the checkers.

Dubois' line was as bad as anyone's and I'm not sure why they escaped the changes.
Coach should have tried flipping Connor/Perfetti or Ehlers/Wheeler since NOTHING was working.

I thought the whole team looked bad so I didn't notice as much the players who were called out for being the worst as it seemed par for the course.

I don't think Barron did anything to deserve a promotion and I think Perfetti with Lowry is a stupid idea!!!!
Please get Kuhlman off the ice he literally would need 1000+ shots to score with a goalie in the net.

Please play desperate/pack of wolves D on Thursday.
Getting lit up for 7+ goals by the Leafs would be painful.

Who's the "w" in esw?
You have Wheeler on the 3rd line already.

Lowry with those wingers can't check the top lines... who's supposed to do that?
This lineup might be for just the game against the Leafs where he won't get the Lowry shutdown matchup he wants anyway - it could be about adding a little D to the top 6 for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad