Post-Game Talk: Habs 4 - Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I agree -
When ever we open it up in games against teams that have nothing to lose, our team d caves in and we give up on the structure you note.
I'm just going to say it - our blue line is not great - average at best and I'm tempted to say less than.
If we do not support that group with team D, they are twisting in the wind.
The challenge will be to convince the players - Bones is working on it but they sometimes forget when they play a game they are expected to win easily. That's part of the learning curve - be consistent.
Bones touched on it tonight in his comments - he's right IMO

Sawyer had it right. They were going for it all too soon before establishing anything. You could see they didn't want to work for it because they didn't think they needed to. Wrong.

Hopefully they learn a lesson since, being in the GTA, I don't want to live through the nightmare of mockery I'll be subject to if they do the same sort of thing vs. the Maple Leafs.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You`re right on with this observation. But imo we particularly have trouble establishing our offensive zone and neutral zone pressure game against those type of teams and it leads to much more play in our end ( with occasional breakdown).

General comment only - nothing really stood out from tonight`s game. I was particularly disappointed at so many flubs by individuals in basic puck management.

Yeah, our zone entries are largely chip and chase and we lose the retrieval race and can't establish. One thing i still think this team needs to do is really overhaul our zone entry scheme. When we can get in with control we have much more sustained pressure. Unfortunately Wheeler/Mark/and Conner aren't great at that and that is half the top 6.

Reactions: hn777 and ecolad

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Yeah, our zone entries are largely chip and chase and we lose the retrieval race and can't establish. One thing i still think this team needs to do is really overhaul our zone entry scheme. When we can get in with control we have much more sustained pressure. Unfortunately Wheeler/Mark/and Conner aren't great at that and that is half the top 6.
I was thinking more about the difficulty we have cutting off time and space with an aggressive forecheck and creating turnovers, but we do also have difficulty creating sustained shots on goal for the reasons you mentioned.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was thinking more about the difficulty we have cutting off time and space with an aggressive forecheck and creating turnovers, but we do also have difficulty creating sustained shots on goal for the reasons you mentioned.

That is also an issue that we have as we don't have a very quick forward core. Our cutoffs/turnovers are generally achieved through smart positioning and timing.

It's one of the reasons I'd like to see our lines rebalanced a bit. I think the Scheifele line needs some more speed and Dubois line could use more of a forechecking/board presence.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This game kind of proved everything I think about Ville Heinola. He's not ready for the NHL. That was an AHL like roster that made him look fragile. I don't think Bowness can trust him on the road, when he is not physical, or getting in shooting lanes. I don't know why the team has to get him in at the expense of Samberg, but I guarantee he won't inspire Bones to carry on with that change, and the Jets are going to need Samberg for the PK against the Leafs. Thankfully the boys on the PK got the job done tonight, that was about the only bright spot. I hope that no one here is still insisting Heinola is a better defenseman than Neal Pionk, who should have came out of this game as a 0 at least if not for a lackluster defensive effort from his teammates.

I didn't see or understand why Scheifele got demoted, but that was a headscratcher for me. Didn't make the team any better. Seemed like the wrong guy to drop the hammer on, but I'm not the coach.

That was one of the worst games of the season, I don't know if the boys indulged last night in the joie de vivre of Montreal, but jeez that was a stinker.

As an aside I listened mostly to the first period, without watching, and Dan Robertson seemed to be cheering for the opponent. Certainly talked a lot about them when given the opportunity. I get he was the Habs play by play guy, but it seems weird for a home broadcast when even the announcer isn't on your side.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This game kind of proved everything I think about Ville Heinola. He's not ready for the NHL. That was an AHL like roster that made him look fragile. I don't think Bowness can trust him on the road, when he is not physical, or getting in shooting lanes. I don't know why the team has to get him in at the expense of Samberg, but I guarantee he won't inspire Bones to carry on with that change, and the Jets are going to need Samberg for the PK against the Leafs. Thankfully the boys on the PK got the job done tonight, that was about the only bright spot. I hope that no one here is still insisting Heinola is a better defenseman than Neal Pionk, who should have came out of this game as a 0 at least if not for a lackluster defensive effort from his teammates.

I didn't see or understand why Scheifele got demoted, but that was a headscratcher for me. Didn't make the team any better. Seemed like the wrong guy to drop the hammer on, but I'm not the coach.

That was one of the worst games of the season, I don't know if the boys indulged last night in the joie de vivre of Montreal, but jeez that was a stinker.

My best guess is they picked Mark because demoting him would resonate the most with the rest of the group.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I was right, pull helly and bag skate them. it was bad from the start.

make sure this team cares(for the fans)

Tough thing but the best teams can deal with things if they want to be a winner

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
That was an embarrassing effort by the Jets. Just unacceptable all around. It was like Maurice was still the coach. No one played well, and the Habs controlled virtually every aspect of the game. Pathetic.
After the second goal I was hoping the coach would have called a timeout. Settle them down and get them back on track. Timeouts don’t just need to be used I. The last 2 minutes of a game.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
I agree -
When ever we open it up in games against teams that have nothing to lose, our team d caves in and we give up on the structure you note.
I'm just going to say it - our blue line is not great - average at best and I'm tempted to say less than.
If we do not support that group with team D, they are twisting in the wind.
The challenge will be to convince the players - Bones is working on it but they sometimes forget when they play a game they are expected to win easily. That's part of the learning curve - be consistent.
Bones touched on it tonight in his comments - he's right IMO
100% All the Above! Now it’s time for truth or consequences on who buys in and who doesn’t..if the team as a whole wants to stay up there in the standings..

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
That sucked. Nothing much to say really other than I hope it doesn't become a regular occurance. If we win 3 of every 5 from this point on we're in great shape...really at this point we'd have to collapse pretty badly to not make the playoffs, but it would be nice to maintain some level of strong performance heading into the post season rather than a month of .500 (or slightly worse) hockey leading up to it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
We had better not lose in TO
LOL or what?

Right now it's about the team playing better, more consistently. If they play better and lose tomorrow I'm fine with it. I was not happy with the effort last night. Whether it was taking the opposition lightly or embibing too much the night before, the team has to realize that being on top of the West needs real committment. I think they might have been a bit too proud of themselves last night and hopefully this is a wakeup call

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I didn't watch the game so I can't add anything intelligent

Except for the fact that it was somehow 100% Paul Maurice's fault

Reactions: Stumbledore

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I was pretty amped for the big Thursday Battle of the Titans showdown vs the Leafs, but after that performance last night, my excitement has turned into a bit of dread.
Not me, i'm looking forward to seeing how we respond after last night's effort. 82 games is a long season and every team is going to have games like that, it's how you bounce back that shows what you are made of.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Harkins should be dealt to Edmonton along with Vesalainen and Stanley for Puljujarvi

Harkins has had enough time to be what he is. Chevy needs to make a move or 2.

Pionks struggles continue Also. Seems like whoever 4 plays with, the pairing struggles.

I've seen enough of Ville... he appears to lack lots, size, skill and overall awareness. Trade him b4 he's Ville Niku.
Haha i love these give you our garbage for your player deals 🤣

Reactions: surixon

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not me, i'm looking forward to seeing how we respond after last night's effort. 82 games is a long season and every team is going to have games like that, it's how you bounce back that shows what you are made of.
The good news is generally speaking we've followed up stinkers with strong efforts.

Only one 3 game losing steak and I believe we followed that up with a 5 game winning streak.

This team is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad